how high do you hunt???

fredw

Retired Moderator
My ladder stands are 10, 12 and 15 footers. Even in the climber, I don't get any higher than that.

beginnersluck

Depends on surroundings. 20 - 30 feet, if I'm on a ridge overlooking a trail, I'm usually only 20 or so feet. If I'm in the bottoms or low spots, I try to get 30 or higher!

coon dawg

GONetwork Member
bow hunt about 20-25 feet.............

but some of my gun stands are over 60................highest I have hunted.......72 feet overlooking a thick stand of 8 year old planted pines. :D

cpaboy

I'm not calling anyone a liar, but I don't think anyone on here hunts over 40-45 ft, unless it's in some kind of fire tower type set up. I bowhunt at 15-20' and I will rifle hunt as high as 30-35' and a couple of times as high as 40'.

coon dawg

GONetwork Member
I do..............

call Jake Ashworth at North Georgia Sports........706-783-5086..............he was with me (in case I fell), while building a "low" one.......it's only 55 feet...........I know this because 50 feet of gun haulin' rope goes about 6 feet from the ground. :)

Randy

15-20 feet. IF I use a gun, which is rare, I will go higher.

Mac

High as I can stand

I have one stand I call the sky box. A lock on about 40' up a white oake overlooking chop/regrowth. Not for the faith at heart. Most of my members will not attempt.

Murdock

15-20 feet unless in a ladder and I have a few that are 12 feet.

Guy

My ladders and lock ons are 15' - 20'. I do get higher in my climber but I really don't think I have been higher than 30'.

L

loouuii

First limb

I like to climb up to the first live limb on a big pine. Now a days it depends on how this old body feels and how thick the under brush is. :eek:

I usually hunt in areas where if I get over 15 feet high you cant see too good. Our lease is still going through one of those growing back phases. :flag:

Timberman

Usually 20-30 feet. It seems the older I get the lower I get. :bounce:

Bowhunterga

Depends on the terrain, trees available, and even where I expect to see the deer traveling. Usually 15-20 feet but I have been known to go upwards of 40+feet with my treelounge especially if hunting over 1 or 2 year old clearcuts. I have hunted Indiana a few times and it can be hard to find a **** tree in that state that is straight enough to climb with a climber and get above 15 feet.

Handgunner

72' high??? I often wondered Coondawg, but now I'm sure of it... you ARE Crazy! :banginghe How in the world could you sit that high and enjoy a hunt? I'd be worrying the whole time I was there! :speechles

And if the wind blew? God help me... :eek:

Slasher

what a pull up line?

Whew, some of you folks are up there..... what kind of trees you hunting out of? First, I don't want to doubt anyones' veracity... however, my personal experiences make me highly skeptical... I have problems on 90%of trees with the treestand leveling out too much at anything above 25 ft... I did a week one summer at 16 with the forest sevice and was in a couple firetowers @ 60 and 75 ft and I can't see anyone getting up that high in a tree with a climber... some at 30-35 and maybe one or two at 40... but the difference in diamater from base to 30 ft is tremendous... I can barely move my tree lounge at the base on trees I get above 25 that thin out and limit my move skyward.... I find that above 20 ft, my view of terra firma seems much farther... but a 25 ft pull up line begins lift off at that height.

If you want to prove me wrong, I'll gladly come hunt your honey hole for a morning and thoroughly apologize though....(not to mention chicken out at about 30 ft... A late season gun hunt would fit into my plans perfectly

Slasher

did I mention how much a tree sways at those heights? Man it either makes you sea sick or rocks you to sleep..........