how high do you hunt???

mikel

some people are too scared of heights to get off the ground.some people like to be in the stratosphere.personally,i dont get much over 12 feet.just wondering who hunts high and who hunts low.

Toliver

Depends on the terrain, the vegetation and the quality of the stand. If getting high lets me see more, then I go up as far as need be. If I have to stay low to see under the bushes, then that's what I do. I generally like to be at least 15 to 20 feet up if at all possible.

nevamiss270

GONetwork Member
15 ft high ladders and when i in my climber i go just about as high as i can get when im gun hunting - bow is about 15-20 ft

littlewolf

I only hunt sober :D

Rifle - high as I can go unless there is some cover I want to take advantage of or can't shoot around. I think 30' is probly the highest so far.

Bow - this will be my first season but 15-18' is what I've been practicing from.

-Chris

Handgunner

Since I'm "well fed"...

"thick boned" and "husky".. :rolleyes: . I like Terra Firma... unless I'm in a shooting house that I'VE built. I used to hunt high as possible, but haven't in some time, and I really haven't suffered when it comes to deer sightings.

My stands are anywhere from 8' to 12' off the ground... And since I hunt mostly fields, that seems to be enough. If I were in a thick area, I would like to be higher so that I could see better, and out of the deer line of sight.

They say "deer don't look up"... I've seen many deer totally ignore that rule.

So in close quarters territory, I think the higher you are, the better off you are.

Toliver

They say "deer don't look up"... I've seen many deer totally ignore that rule.

Whoever wrote that rule book obviously didn't pass out copies to the deer.

BROWNING7WSM

GONetwork Member
My ladders are about 14 ft. When im in my portable I usually average 18-20 ft. depending on terrain and follage.

D

dave

I hunt about

10 feet up in a blind or as high as I can go with my Tree Lounge. Probably 75% of the time I'm at 10 feet.

Arrow3

Ive hunted over 50ft before....I plan on hunting like that this year too...I have a tall, lanky pine Im gonna climb and look out into our clear cut....When your that high the deer cant see you or smell you...

I usually climb about 15 ft when bowhunting...

gabuckeye

I like to be 20 to 25 feet. It all depends on the surrounding trees to add to my cover. I find that you lose field of view if you get to high when leaves are still on the trees. Later in the season I may climb to 30 feet if I can see a long ways.

Arrow Flinger

Like already stated, it all depend on the cover and terrain. Bowhunting, 12-15 feet. With a rifle, as high as I can get. Most of the time, 30 plus.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
As high as I can get and still be able to see. Sometimes 10 feet others 60!

Jim

hpurvis

Gone But Not Forgotten
I used to parachute out and hunt on the way down, but since I broke my back, only hunt ground blinds or very comfortable stands. Anything beats a parachute.

Jeff Phillips

All my ladders are 15'. Climber up to 40', depending on the cover.

Trizey

Minimum of 15, but usually around 20-22 ft. Never more than about 30 ft.

Meriwether Mike

I am usually at 16 feet in a ladder. I do have a box blind that is only 6 feet, but it is on a high point overlooking a hardwood bottom.

chipchop

hunt high

Most of my permanent stands are 30-40 ft up. I got tired of getting smelled. This stand is about 35 foot up in a hickory.

Attachments

• MVC-003F 2.JPG
    MVC-003F 2.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 443

Latest posts