To much $ for a turkey load?

blong

I was on another forum and some folks were saying that a $6 shell is to much to pay for a turkey load. My personal opinion is that if you can put gas in your truck to hunt and scout that you can afford a $30 box of shells. I know lead 4,5 and 6's are very good loads but why not shoot what has been proven to be superior loads?

deerslayer357

I understand wanting to cut back expenses as much as possible, but once I've done everything you need to get that gobbler into range and spent all of that money on a club, gas, and groceries, I want to make sure that I am doing all that I can when I pull the trigger to make sure that bird dies.

Shells are not something that I would consider skimping on as long as there IS a performance difference. With that said, more expensive doesn't always mean better.

ryanwhit

I completely agree with you guys.

Nitro

Banned
Most guys on here aren't going to shoot more than one or two at Gobblers anyway, so it should only make sense to shoot the best possible ammo.

On my list of expenses for Turkey hunting, ammunition costs are at the bottom of the list... and yes I shoot $6 a piece shells.. in my guns they are the best performers- by far.

blong

Most guys on here aren't going to shoot more than one or two at Gobblers anyway, so it should only make sense to shoot the best possible ammo.

On my list of expenses for Turkey hunting, ammunition costs are at the bottom of the list... and yes I shoot $6 a piece shells.. in my guns they are the best performers- by far.

I am with you! Here is my yearly avg for turkey hunting+/-
Clothes $100
Lease or taxes 600
license/tags 300
fuel 1000
Shells 50
I am sure that I am leaving something out also.

dwills

As much money as I spend on turkey hunting every year, spending a few extra dollars on shells really doesn't bother me at all. It makes me so much more comfortable knowing that I have done everything I can do to make sure that when I pull the trigger, I can ethically kill any gobbler out to 50 yards or so, with plenty of room to spare. I reload my own shells, because I feel that they are the very best shell that money can buy. I've been through dozens of types, sizes, and brands of turkey shells in order to maximize the lethality of my shotgun/choke/shell combo. When it comes to turkey shells, you usually get what you pay for...much like quality optics, guns, etc.

Core Lokt

With diesel fuel at $3.539 and regular gas at $3.159 I'll stick to the Winchester Supreme and Remington Nitro Turkey shells that have worked for me the last few yrs.

Kooter

Banned
deviating away or downgrading from what has worked in the past is like a farmer trading in his bat wing bush hog for a riding mower to cut a 100 acre field. Both cut the grass but geez....you guys understand what im gettin at right?

hawglips

Banned
My 2 cents.

There is a lot of money spent on turkey hunting every year by a given turkey hunter. And as far as any gear or accessories you can take with you, the shells make the biggest difference for your money -- regardless of how many gobblers you shoot a year. Makes no sense to skimp on the thing that gives you the biggest bang for your buck.

hawglips

Banned
deviating away or downgrading from what has worked in the past is like a farmer trading in his bat wing bush hog for a riding mower to cut a 100 acre field. Both cut the grass but geez....

If folks didn't deviate, they'd never be able to improve on their setup.

Deviation away from things that have worked in the past is the only way to get better or have better.

stringmusic

not to derail the thread, but would you guys skimp on a choke before you skimp on shells?

hawglips

Banned
not to derail the thread, but would you guys skimp on a choke before you skimp on shells?

I would.

I shoot a $9.99 choke with my 20 ga and still get 20 ga patterns that are off the charts.

deersled

I'm not criticizing anybody, but in a sport where the general consensus is "I want em close", I don't see the advantage to the high dollar, super-duper, softball pattern out to 60 yd. shells. I've seen some of the patterns you guys put up and they are very impressive. My federal number 6's kill em fine out to 35-40 yds and they don't cost me much. Again, I ain't judging nobody. Hunt the way you want and spend your money the way you see fit.

Kooter

Banned
I am in favor of your posts hawglips that is the position i was taking on the matter at hand. I would not skimp on the thing that gets the most bang for the buck. I guess deviation was a poor choice in grammatical structure. Lets just pretend i only said downgrading :D

Heres a better analogy in support of my view---"Downgrading to a cheaper shell is like downgrading from your long time proven taxidermist to a cheaper taxidermist in order to save money." write that down.

I would buy a cheaper gun before I buy cheaper shells. You cant tell me a 9 dollar box of turkey load patterns as well as a box of nitros or xtended range. I like my 60 yard kill radius. :shoot:

If folks didn't deviate, they'd never be able to improve on their setup.

Deviation away from things that have worked in the past is the only way to get better or have better.

hawglips

Banned
I'm with you kooter.

01Foreman400

Staff member
I don't think those Nitro shells make much of a difference.....I'll stick with my Winchesters. I got to buy gas you know.

nhancedsvt

Banned
I paid $18 with a $5 rebate for 5 shells of 12 gauge Hevi 6s. That comes out to $2.60 a shell.
I paid $13 with a $5 rebate for 10 shells of 20 gauge Hevi 6s. That comes out to $.80 a shell.

They may not be the "best" but when it comes to crunch time, I have 100% confidence in my shells. I have patterned them in each of my guns and they produce adequate kill patterns out past 40 yds. One day I may try Nitros but for now these "cheap" shells work fine for this poor college boy. I'll save the extra $50 and fill up the truck and hunt more.

Curtis-UGA

I have never paid 6 dollars for a shell and probably won't till what I'm shooting fails me. I have killed birds out past 50 yds. But I am not downing anybody who does. Shooting 3.5 in shells and a scoped shotgun it already feels like I'm cheating!

capt stan

I got 4 boxes of winchester supremes#5 3.5 in mags for 4 dollars a box after the season closed last year.... 3 shells a year... thats a lot of years of turkey killing for 16 dollars. It sure dont take 6 dollar shells to kill a turkey...but if ya like it.. go for it... its your pennies either way.I support your choice, but I dont need um, just like I dont need a 35 dollar box of shells to kill a deer....