To much $ for a turkey load?

gobble157

I shoot Nitro ammo through both of my browning golds. One being a 10 ga and the other a 12 ga. I don't want to take any chances and so far those darn shells pattern awesome with my rhino chokes. I'll forever spend that kind of money on my ammo since I live and breath for turkey season.

David

short stop

I m in the $6 a shot club ..... proud of it

I skrimp out on gun weight and size opting to shoot 20 ga over 12 s and have for yrs .. I want maxed out ammo that can and will kill a bird at any desired range of choice . All while carrying a brick instead of a Cylinder block around by comparison.

I want to know when I pull the trigger its a dead bird evrytime . I can do that with handloads ... I cannot with cheap ammo ..

I usta race cars .. I didnt put 87 octane in the tank ...
and to think I know guys who wont drop $6 a shot on a turkey --only huntin Ga --- x3 birds ..$18 ... but they will blow up 2 packs of cigs a day at $5.25 a pack ...... nearly $3 -3500k a yr now ....
oh the choices in life ....lol

Last edited:

Swamprat

Swamprat
With diesel fuel at $3.539 and regular gas at $3.159 I'll stick to the Winchester Supreme and Remington Nitro Turkey shells that have worked for me the last few yrs.

And they have worked for folks for quite some time.

Sorry....I ain't chunkin 6 bucks at a woods chicken.

rutandstrut

I use to use copper plated lead...switched to Nitro 4 x 5 x 7 Laser Beam pattetn shells until I miss one up close and they kept jamming in my gun...now I have an even consistent pattern using Gobbler Guns "Final Strut" Chokes and Winchester Extended Range #6's, 3" & 3.5 inch shells im my M2000 and 835. I will not judge anyone! Use what works and you have confidence in! I like to call them in close, just like the next guy! But, I choose to use heavier than lead...just in case I need it!

Last edited:

chevyman2000

For myself there are two expensive parts to turkey hunting. Fuel is one.Ddiesel is $1.16/L right now. that works out to $4.40/gallon. I drive upto 45 min just to get to one of my farms. I don't scout it alot because it's never let me down.

The second most expensive part was patterning my gun. I went threw 4 different chokes, and several $100's of dollars in shells. Now that I got her dialed in with hevi shot $4-$5 a shell and two birds a season is nothing.

I always tell myself and the start of every season be it waterfwol, turkey, deer etc that I don't need more gear. Yet I find myself spending way more than I should on stuff I don't really need.

chev.

Huntinfool

I'm of the opinion that there has not been a shotgun shell created and sold that was too expensive for use as a turkey load.

No, I've never bought Nitros but it's not because I think they are too expensive. I've been satisfied with Hevi's and I'm using Federal Heavy's this year that ended up costing me over $20 a box...for five.

I shoot a single shot 20ga. If I can't afford to spend $5 every time I kill a turkey, then dang man...I need to hang it up.

7mmstw

I have bought nitros in the past. Have a few left that are copperplated #5's at 1260fps 3.5in. Would have order some this year but looked at my stock to late to order them. Sure they didnt have them years ago but I would be willing to bet our forefathers used the best that they could afford.

one hogman

I say it's your $$ and spend it like you want to, BUT a tight pattern alone does not a turkey roast make, we must always remember pellet energy when you shoot at extended range.I refuse to pay the price for these expensive shells and have killed quite a few with the cheap ones,

boparks

The "Moment of Truth" happens on a pretty limited basis for most each season. To use any shotgun shell thats not proven or potentially inconsisitent in an effort to save a few dollars when we're willing to spend a $1.60 for a bottle of water, $3.00 for a gallon or gas or $4.00 for a hamburger, seems to me to be a "penny wise- pound foolish" sort of thing.

I'm shooting birds in close and don't really need or care about really long distance patterns...but...I want to feel like I'm using the best or close to it during the the few times that opportunities present themselves

law dawg

Considering all of my expenses related to turkey hunting, $6 to pull the trigger is the least of my concerns . . .

hawglips

Banned
The "Moment of Truth" happens on a pretty limited basis for most each season. To use any shotgun shell thats not proven or potentially inconsisitent in an effort to save a few dollars when we're willing to spend a $1.60 for a bottle of water, $3.00 for a gallon or gas or $4.00 for a hamburger, seems to me to be a "penny wise- pound foolish" sort of thing.

I'm shooting birds in close and don't really need or care about really long distance patterns...but...I want to feel like I'm using the best or close to it during the the few times that opportunities present themselves

I dream about turkey hunting all year. I spend way too much time on websites like this. But the time I spend with the gun up pointing at a gobbler and about to pull the trigger are mere split seconds that come only a few times a year. That ain't the time to skimp on cheap, when the extra couple bucks spent makes such a very big difference in what happens after I pull the trigger, and how my dreams are going to go for the next 10 months I spend waiting and dreaming and chomping at the bit for turkey season to come around again.

blong

I dream about turkey hunting all year. I spend way too much time on websites like this. But the time I spend with the gun up pointing at a gobbler and about to pull the trigger are mere split seconds that come only a few times a year. That ain't the time to skimp on cheap, when the extra couple bucks spent makes such a very big difference in what happens after I pull the trigger, and how my dreams are going to go for the next 10 months I spend waiting and dreaming and chomping at the bit for turkey season to come around again.

You must be one of those pixie dust shooters! Everybody knows that a #9 can't possibly have the same energy as a #4 no matter what its made of.:stir:

hawglips

Banned
Guilty as charged

boparks

i dream about turkey hunting all year. I spend way too much time on websites like this. But the time i spend with the gun up pointing at a gobbler and about to pull the trigger are mere split seconds that come only a few times a year. That ain't the time to skimp on cheap, when the extra couple bucks spent makes such a very big difference in what happens after i pull the trigger, and how my dreams are going to go for the next 10 months i spend waiting and dreaming and chomping at the bit for turkey season to come around again.

amen brother

Gadget

Considering all of my expenses related to turkey hunting, $6 to pull the trigger is the least of my concerns . . .

yep.........Ammo will be the last thing I skimp on if I'm running outta money.

Gaswamp

I been kinda reluctant to chime in on this thread. But, I would say skimping is all in your perspective.

Are $5 or $6 Nitro shells better? Probably. I do trust Andy's judgement on turkey shells. Do you have to have them? Guess that depends on each individual. I have been shooting Remington hevi-shot and regular hevi-shot off and on since 2002. However, I and my son both used 2 3/4 lead shells on a few birds last year. They do still work. I can go out to my shed right now and grab several different lead turkey loads that were probably less than $10a box and kill every turkey I pull the trigger on this spring. No doubt at all in my mind whatsover and that is part of the crux

I poke a little fun at Hal and Rick about being pattern happy. But, a person has to be downright stupid if ,every year, they don't test a few loads ....check to see that their gun shoots a pattern straight....check to see that their scope or dot is on....clean their gun ect..

If I had to pick an item that was the utmost importance to me right now as related to turkey gear, then I would choose the reflex red dot. But here is an area where I might be skimping a tad. I use a burris Fastfire. However, the Dr. optik, Leopold, trijicon, or Zeiss may be better. (according to Rick the optick is superior and I don't doubt him).

So here again you have to use a little perspective. I been using a single barrel shotgun for 20 years, I have been known to shoot lead, I still use #5's and 6's. I don't shoot turkeys over 40 yards. I don't wear a vest or snake boots. So I'm either handicapping myself or just crazy.

The bottom line is My equipment works, I have tested it, and I have confidence in it.
I guess it boils down to what each individual has confidence in and what each individual is trying to achieve. I probably get irked up more about the fools that just grab a gun and whatever shell is laying around and head to the woods without having a clue regarding their equipments' capabilities.. Sadly this plays out every spring

Last edited:

blong

I been kinda reluctant to chime in on this thread. But, I would say skimping is all in your perspective.

Are $5 or $6 Nitro shells better? Probably. I do trust Andy's judgement on turkey shells. Do you have to have them? Guess that depends on each individual. I have been shooting Remington hevi-shot and regular hevi-shot off and on since 2002. However, I and my son both used 2 3/4 lead shells on a few birds last year. They do still work. I can go out to my shed right now and grab several different lead turkey loads that were probably less than $10a box and kill every turkey I pull the trigger on this spring. No doubt at all in my mind whatsover and that is part of the crux

I poke a little fun at Hal and Rick about being pattern happy. But, a person has to be downright stupid if ,every year, they don't test a few loads ....check to see that their gun shoots a pattern straight....check to see that their scope or dot is on....clean their gun ect..

If I had to pick an item that was the utmost importance to me right now as related to turkey gear, then I would choose the reflex red dot. But here is an area where I might be skimping a tad. I use a burris Fastfire. However, the Dr. optik, Leopold, trijicon, or Zeiss may be better. (However according to Rick the optick is superior and I don't doubt him).

So here again you have to use a little perspective. I been using a single barrel shotgun for 20 years, I have been known to shoot lead, I still use #5's and 6's. I don't shoot turkeys over 40 yards. I don't wear a vest or snake boots. So I'm either handicapping myself or just crazy.

The bottom line is My equipment works, I have tested it, and I have confidence in it.
I guess it boils down to what each individual has confidence in and what each individual is trying to achieve. I probably get irked up more about the fools that just grab a gun and whatever shell is laying around and head to the woods without having a clue regarding their equipments' capabilities.. Sadly this plays out every spring

Good post. I carried a college kid once and he showed up with blue jeans on and had a modified choke in his 870 and some 7 1/2 dove loads. I let him use my gun that morning and had some pants for him also.

Nitro

Banned
I agree with most of the facts as you wrote them...

However, I want an edge. Which is why I shoot (and have shot) Nitro Company ammo for longer than most here have been Turkey hunting.

I don't want to wound one. I want to kill him.Dead. Dead. Dead.......

My mentor told me in 1978 that "we ain't here to take Prisoners" ....... I took that comment to heart and have used it as more words to live by ever since.

I have scaled back my hatred some, I am now shooting 1 7/8oz or 2oz loads....for a while, I was shooting a 3 oz load of #5s out of my Ten Gauge.....

I am mellowing in my "old age":rofl::rofl::rofl:

If I had to pick an item that was the utmost importance to me right now as related to turkey gear, then I would choose the reflex red dot. But here is an area where I might be skimping a tad. I use a burris Fastfire. However, the Dr. optik, Leopold, trijicon, or Zeiss may be better. (according to Rick the optick is superior and I don't doubt him).

3chunter

Well my shells are like $3.00 a piece. Just a drop in the bucket when you look at everything else. All I shoot is hevishot through a factory full choke. At 50 yards I can kill em as dead as anyone shooting nitro's. If the bird is farther than that.......I'm not going to shoot and 97% of the time for me my chances for a shot are within my effective kill range.

Latest posts