Huge deer on the southend of St. Simons Island

IdRatherBHunting

I saw these late Saturday night by the southend of the airport near the village. photo.jpg

photo2.jpg

IdRatherBHunting

They were huge mature bucks. The one on the right had a huge waddle below his neck and a big rolling chest. The one on the left was actually bigger but I couldnt get him in view.

Horns

They almost look like mule deer.

CCROLAND

Too bad you can't hunt over there, legally anyways!!! They get a lot of night hunting calls over there.

Bowhunter Matt

wonder how fallow deer got on st simons island? i know the north end is eat up with hogs, but hard to get ppl to let you hunt them.

IdRatherBHunting

They have european fallow on little st. simons that were imported there in the 1920's but that is a long swim to St. Simons. I guess these either made the trip at some point or they are desendents of some that did.

The one on the right was almost solid white.

Last edited by a moderator:

T-N-T

That is crazy! I didnt know that little St. Simons had fallows. But Im not above learning something new.

They have european fallow on little st. simons that were imported there in the 1920's but that is a hella long swim to St. Simons. I guess these either made the trip at some point or they are desendents of some that did.

The one on the right was almost solid white.

It's not that far on the very northern end near Pelican Spit. At really low tides you can basically walk between the islands with one good channel.

That said, I suspect there was human intervention in those deer getting onto St. Simons.

HOGDOG76

We used to have deer swim between cumberland island and the base so this aint much of a stretch.

mrducks1188

Fallow?

Are Fallows related to Elk? Loks like a small elk to me...

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Jeklly was stocked with all kinds of game in the late 1800's by the Du Bignon family in order to market it as a winter hunting grounds to the rich, who all bought into to it, and eventually purchased the island from the Du Bignons. Not a very far swim from Jekyll to St. Simon.

OmenHonkey

I Want Fancy Words TOO !
It's roughly 1 mile from Jekyl to St.Simons across a large shark breading ground. That would be a scary swim...

tradhunter98

we were on jekyll and the were two huge whitetails along with about 30 other deer they need to do a quota hunt there!

swalker1517

It's roughly 1 mile from Jekyl to St.Simons across a large shark breading ground. That would be a scary swim...

I believe those deer came from Little St Simon's. It's nearly impossible for anything other than a fish to swim the sound between Jekyll and St Simon's, that current is super strong. Watched a guy jump off the pier on afternoon to swim to Jekyll(he said he was having a bad day), he was nearly out of sight when the Coast Guard picked him up. He had been in the water about 20 minutes and the tide was heading out.