To much $ for a turkey load?

Fanfare

Banned
I don't waste money on high dollar shells...its the choke I don't skimp on...if its a turkey load I'll kill turkeys.....

GA DAWG

I have enough Nitros to last years and years..They are cheap compared to all the other hunting crap I buy..Most of which only gets used 1 time..If the gobbler of a lifetime steps out.I'm proud I have the nitros loaded in the chamber..

Gaswamp

I agree with most of the facts as you wrote them...

However, I want an edge. Which is why I shoot (and have shot) Nitro Company ammo for longer than most here have been Turkey hunting.

I don't want to wound one. I want to kill him.Dead. Dead. Dead.......

My mentor told me in 1978 that "we ain't here to take Prisoners" ....... I took that comment to heart and have used it as more words to live by ever since.

I have scaled back my hatred some, I am now shooting 1 7/8oz or 2oz loads....for a while, I was shooting a 3 oz load of #5s out of my Ten Gauge.....

I am mellowing in my "old age":rofl::rofl::rofl:

Andy Ive read you mentioning that quote from your mentor a few times in the past years. I 've always loved it:cheers: If you don't mind I might pass that one on to my girl as she wants to gets into turkey hunting this spring.

emusmacker

I believe that whatever your gun patterns with, then shoot it. But I don't have to shoot shells that are $6 a piece. My fed premiums pattern well at 40 yards. Yep kills em dead too.
Not trying to criticize or anything, these just work for my gun. I know a buddy that usesHevi 6s and loves em. I feel that as long as you're confident in your gun and shell then go for it, it all depends on the gun.

boparks

I been kinda reluctant to chime in on this thread. But, I would say skimping is all in your perspective.

So here again you have to use a little perspective. I been using a single barrel shotgun for 20 years, I have been known to shoot lead, I still use #5's and 6's. I don't shoot turkeys over 40 yards. I don't wear a vest or snake boots. So I'm either handicapping myself or just crazy.

I'd say you have your own proven system and style....

At the distance I shoot I could probably do just as well with

#5 copper plated shells as well but I load up with the
Hevi 6s......The snake boot thing just means you're a brave man....and you ain't seen enough snakes yet...:)

Brad C.

I agree with most of the facts as you wrote them...

However, I want an edge. Which is why I shoot (and have shot) Nitro Company ammo for longer than most here have been Turkey hunting.

I don't want to wound one. I want to kill him.Dead. Dead. Dead.......

My mentor told me in 1978 that "we ain't here to take Prisoners" ....... I took that comment to heart and have used it as more words to live by ever since.

I have scaled back my hatred some, I am now shooting 1 7/8oz or 2oz loads....for a while, I was shooting a 3 oz load of #5s out of my Ten Gauge.....

I am mellowing in my "old age":rofl::rofl::rofl:

You just got tired of those shells knocking the living crap out of you. Tell the truth Andy! :bounce:

Gaswamp

well Andy would be proud, I am going to test some Nitros this year eventhough I probably didn't need them

spydermon

Anyone figured the cost of a hand load vs a nitro or hevi shot of sorts? I see a lit about this TSS stuff, but you can't buy them. How much does one cist when final loaded in a 20 Ga that most carry??

antnye

Anyone figured the cost of a hand load vs a nitro or hevi shot of sorts? I see a lit about this TSS stuff, but you can't buy them. How much does one cist when final loaded in a 20 Ga that most carry??

In a TSS 7/16 oz load 5$+- But your components are bought in bulk so initial cost is a little more. No more tracking down ammo or ordering 3 months in advance.

Last edited:

Gaswamp

lol....... old threads being bumped up Gaswamp

gotta love old threads:D with some of our former members banned and withdrawn....lot of new stuff is boring or a re-hash:deadhorse:

The mtn man

I wish I could buy Nitro's for $6 a shell now....

No kidding, last year when I put my order in, the girl called me back to ask if I still wanted her to ship because they went up, they went up to $110 for 10 rounds shipped, I politely declined. This was 3" 2x5x7

Gaswamp

Dont care what shell you bring this year, but i hope you dont bring a glass coffee maker to camp again. :bounce:

sounds like an interesting story