Polaris 700 crew

mossyoakpro

I have a fella trying to trade me a Polaris 700 crew for my 2 seater UTV...I really need a crew for showing property so I'm probably going to do it. My question is....how hard is it to put a Ranger back to "stock" height? It has a lift on it and I'm not partial to it so I will probably take it off and return it to stock tires and everything. What am I looking at?

Thanks in advance!!

WayneB

knowing stock ground clearance is only about 7 inches, I'd be inclined to leave it IF it improves ground clearance. If it's all for show, then finding the original parts may prove expensive.

mossyoakpro

knowing stock ground clearance is only about 7 inches, I'd be inclined to leave it IF it improves ground clearance. If it's all for show, then finding the original parts may prove expensive.

How tough are the lifts on axles and other driveline parts?

WayneB

How tough are the lifts on axles and other driveline parts?
focus on CV joints and tie rod end maintenance, if the lift is/was extreme the shafts will be longer to compensate for the added height. Just check lubricants and roll.
There shouldn't be a huge change in load, and travels should be within manufacturers expected limits.
One observation of the crew model vs the two seat version, a gentle hump in the ground with the long wheelbase can get you high centered and result in all 4 wheels off the ground quickly.

mossyoakpro

Here it is...I know he put new CV joints in it not terribly long ago. His wife refuses to ride in it because it is so fast and sits high is the reason he wants to trade with me. Has 212 hours on it.Attach39551_20190222_033752.jpg

WayneB

without seeing it in person, looks like a 2" lift with long travel shocks and bigger wheels/tires.
You should be able to unscrew the adjust ring on the shocks and lower it to whats comfortable to you. Wheels and tires will give a better top end but loses low end torque. IMO not a deal breaker either.
212 hours is not a lot on these, mine has over 1800 hrs. ;)

mossyoakpro

without seeing it in person, looks like a 2" lift with long travel shocks and bigger wheels/tires.
You should be able to unscrew the adjust ring on the shocks and lower it to whats comfortable to you. Wheels and tires will give a better top end but loses low end torque. IMO not a deal breaker either.
212 hours is not a lot on these, mine has over 1800 hrs. ;)

I have located a set of 27" wheels and tires to go on it should we make a deal. I'll have to look and see if I can tell what you are talking about on the shocks. He did say that water gets into the CVT system when it rains?? I can't imagine how that happens, but that is something that probably needs a new seal or something??

Thanks for all the information!!

WayneB

probably needs a rain guard under the back edge of cab/ front edge of bed. Water could drip off and into the clutch case.
I've seen a piece of old conveyor belt or rubber doormat used successfully.
Clutch and belt housing is plastic, it can warp or have a inspection plug missing, usually not a problem if water gets out too. Water collecting in the housing will rust the pivot points and springs for the clutch weights and dogs, which will cause them to stick. Belts and clutches are common failures, usually after 400+ hours and with moderate use. This one may have had some heavy use if he's gotten stuck or tried pulling something heavy like a log with the bigger tires and wheels.
The angle of the CV shaft could cause boot failure, heat generated at high speeds, or mired up in mud would cause the failure. I'd put money on mud or creek riding and flooring it.
May be worth a few strategic questions, or have him take you to the trails he's been riding for a demo. If he has or usually drives like a madman, definitely look at wear items ;).
I could be totally off base too, he may be riding in brushy undergrowth and the pokey bits are shredding the CV boots. I've done that as well.

mossyoakpro

Ended up not trading...the thing had 32" super swamper truck tires on it and a massive lift. The CV axles were at a major angle and it had some serious clanking noises going on. Figured I didn't need that headache so I passed on it. Think I am going to find me a good used 4 seater 4010 Kawasaki Mule if I can.