Yamaha Grizzly vs Kodiak

Toliver

I haven't bought an ATV, or even owned one for a while. I'm thinking about buying one soon. My last one was a 2003 Yamaha Grizzly 660. I absolutely loved that machine. Times got tight and I had to sell it and just never have bought another one.

So here's my question to those who may own either of these machines. Are they basically the same machine with the same motor but just different suspensions for different applications? I don't care for "mudd'n" and probably won't do any trail riding. I just want it to get me from one side of the property to the other while occasionally pulling a trailer. So I want the power of the 700. I read a little about them and saw the Grizzly is slightly wider than the Kodiak but the Kodiak seems to be more of a work horse. Reading this stuff is all well and good but I'd rather hear from people who have hands on experience with them.

TJay

I've owned a Griz and really really liked it and put a lot of miles on it. I've never owned a Kodiak but a friend of mine had one and I rode it a few times and I really liked everything about it, made me want to get another atv. I've read the same thing about them being a workhorse but I got to tell you that thing would fly when you turned the wick up a little bit.

Toliver

I think my biggest thing is trying to figure out the several thousand dollar difference between them and which one will fill the most needs.

TJay

Maybe some of the Yamaha forums could shed a little extra light on the pros and cons.

660griz

Get the Kodiak with EPS. All you need for your intended use.

thomasr

I have the Kodiak. I mostly use it for hunting but also enjoy an occasional joy ride, no ripp'n it up though. I've been thoroughly pleased with mine (2019) but I'm also on my 3rd fuel pump! First replaced with OEM and that one didn't last 2 months. A Kodiak forum recommended I use a 3rd party pump from the "Fuel Pump Factory" and so far that one has been solid for 6-8 months now. I'll agree the Kodiak is more of a utility styled quad and that's okay by me. The 450 has plenty power for my use.

Robert28

Think of the Kodiak as the work oriented machine vs the grizzly that’s more sportier. The Kodiak is shorter than the grizz and there’s some differences with the clutch weights between the two.

ssramage

Kodiak is more utility. I had a Kodiak 700 before I got my Polaris Ranger and it was an awesome machine. I'd choose that over the Grizzly for primarily hunting use. And it was plenty sporty when I wanted to rip on it.

Beagler282

“Rabbit Man”
So when I was in the market for one I shopped both of those units. Grizzly is more top end and sportier with a lil wider stance. The Kodiak is more of a workhorse with a better low end torque for hauling or pulling. I would recommend the Kodiak EPS 4x4 and save yourself some money if you're looking for a solid hunting machine. I'll also add go to Mountain Motorsports in Alabama and save yourself the sales tax!!

Last edited:

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I have an older Grizzly, it pulls what I need moved. The wider stance seems handy when trying to straddle a rut.