So they logged my buddies hunting lease.

wellwood

Basically what the title says. What can we expect from this? How will it affect the hunting? It was about 400 acres. Was loaded with deer and turkeys.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Three years ago, about 450 acres was clear cut in the middle of our 1000 acre tract. We still had one heck of a season, the next year, even better. Last year we had two clear cuts, one on each end getting the remainder of the 25 year old pines. We had an awesome season.Those two cuts have been replanted as of Feb, the little pines are about three feet tall, and the weeds and brush is over my head in places. It appears we have more deer than ever before. Reminds me of when i first got the property 29 years ago when it was a young pine forest with pines like small Christmas Trees. We have a good management plan in place. Most all of our bucks taken are nice rack bucks.

Attachments

• A299.jpg
    A299.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 961

Jim Boyd

They are cutting two of our tracts this year.

Short term, a little impact perhaps.

Long term - they are doing us a huge favor.

Ours will be select cuts - if they do a full clear cut the impact is a greater, obviously.

Best of luck.

wellwood

Thanks for the response's. We have never had any of our lease's clear cut before. Just curious on what it's going to do and what kind of impact it will have. Appreciate the advice!

Grey Man

Deer like thick brush to hide in and young trees to eat, so expect good things. Might be sparse for a season due to the bare terrain, but in a year you will love it. In fact, I'm amazed at how much effort land owners put into food plots when cutting down some trees can be even better. It's probably because seeds and tractors are for sale but nobody is selling anyone on this idea when it can be just as productive.

167WhiteTAIL

Enjoy it, nothing wrong with clearcut at all. You just have to figure it out. The only thing that sucks about CC, it becomes harder to hunt 4 years out.

kevincox

It's great with a rifle but for the bowhunter not good unless they left hardwoods and acorn producing trees in the bottoms

sgtstinky

One year we had a clear cut and the deer acted like they were still taking the same trails, made it very easy to shoot them with no cover.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Place stands along the east side for morning hunts and along the west side for afternoon hunts. This puts the deer looking into the sun in order to see you.

Like others said it will be great for about 3 years. Then it becomes a jungle.