Control burn

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
I guess it's sort of like this Luke. Most don't have the option to burn what they are hunting on. So, how's that help the overall population? Hands are tied with it. Some of us have read hundreds of PDF's and case studies. Most say, not much research has been done on growing season burns, and like referencing the same few studies. If most of the studies say the turkeys quit using the area in 18 months time, what's that mean? You have to burn it again I'd assume. Otherwise it's useless overgrown junk a turkey can't traverse. And someone is going to spend all their time burning patches of land on 3 year max rotations.

Most of us aren't hunting in Longleaf/wiregrass environments. Which happens to be where most of the studies are done. I did read in one study where coyotes ate more AVIAN and plant food in longleaf ecosystems.

The study with the highest renest rate was 67% I believe. 23% in the lowest. The idea of a successful nest in the study was >1 egg. If you read page 40 and 98 on the PDF you posted, it will tell you what you need to know. "negative effects should be considered", "the long term effects of growing season fires are uncertain", and "predator removal".

I personally don't have a turkey problem. I'm loaded. One big creek hardwood system, different stages of pine connected to it. It's probably not 30 plus years experience. Or the fact the 3 best places loaded with turkeys that I hunted thru the years never had a fire. But I think I'll trust what I've witnessed, what's possible to do, over a few studies that keep mentioning "uncertain".

Do turkeys like it after a fire? Yeah they eat fried bugs. Is the brooding habitat good for that season? Yep( watch them get picked off on bare ground from above). Is the nesting good the next season? Yep if they choose it(for one season). But, they are good at choosing dumb places. Otherwise, maybe someone can try burning. I can't. I'm calling the forestry dozer.

Be smart and don't drink the Kool Aid.

Last edited:

fountain

The control burn is not concerned with turkeys. That's the point.

Another question, does this land owner hunt this ground or lease it out

Possum

Banned
I burned specifically for turkeys and deer. 0 interest in improving timber value. I did lots of research and talked to people that know a lot on the subject. I did this 3 weeks ago and already see the results. I’ll do it again in 3 years as recommended.

PulaskiHunter

The control burn is not concerned with turkeys. That's the point.

Another question, does this land owner hunt this ground or lease it out

Land owner doesn't hunt it. Hunting is leased out, but primarily for deer. No turkey hunting except for me and my family on our property which borders my neighbor who burns.

Personally I'm for control burns, but not in nesting/hatching season. To me it's akin to shooting hens

fountain

There's your answer then. Not a wildlife management burn, although they may consider it for wildlife and say it is, but it's for the timber. That's fine too. It's their land. We will be doing some burns this month and into june for a few landowners I'm sure

Luke.Deer.Commander

Every timber company I’ve ever burned with or talked to knows the risks of growing season burns. Most southern yellow pines are at a weaker stage in the summer time except for short leaf and long leaf. Slash and loblolly are far more susceptible to crown scorch and tree injury and possible beetle infestation after growing season burns. Higher temperatures and kbdi values cause this. I’d be hard pressed to say a growing season burn is for timber production since most timber grown for commercial purposes are slash and loblolly due to their quicker growth.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I’m not worried about the hen nest. Don’t burn up my deer feeder!!;)

turkeykirk