Control burn

The forester told our neighbor not to burn and instead do an arial herbicide treatment to control the hardwood. I can tell you that is some dead looking land over there now. It’s more effective but definitely not as good for wildlife.
We burned 9 acres on my place 3 weeks ago and had great results. Turkeys flocked to it immediately and it’s already green with grass in there.

Give up. Science and facts don't fly in these here parts.

It's pretty well been established that hens prefer to nest in growing season burns from the previous year and that nests loss due to growing season burns are at least compensatory for losses due to other factors. Either way, the habitat improvement caused by growing season burns far outweighs the loss of those few nests.

People seem to forget that pretty much the entire SE has always been a fire dominated ecosystem. Turkeys have been living with it since they split from their reptilian ancestors.

Avian x decoys, scoot and shoot nonsense, and tent blinds are another story

Possum

Banned
Yeah I read that one too. Noticed it said March and early April. I agree in some circumstances its good. Like if you have a 100 acres and no large creek bottoms and a bunch of grown up select cut pines.

What it said is that wildlife biologists and the NWTF all agree that benefits to turkeys far outway the few lost nests. Turkeys will re-nest if destroyed.

For most land, a growing season burn makes more sense than a dormant season burn.

It improves poult survival so I don’t understand why any turkey hunter would be anti-burn?

fountain

There's a lot to be asked as to understand why they want to burn now. This is the sad truth, people and doing these burns for the money and habitat (although they aren't thinking of the critters the inhabit those woods and their nesting habits).
Also, as I mentioned before here, wire grass seeds out this time of year. Burn it, let the seed hit fresh ground and start more wire grass clumps. People have their reasons. It's their land and their ideas. That's about all we can say on this.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
I'm not against burning in small areas. But, I think once you start it's a rotation process that' you gotta keep up with. I got a pic of some prime nesting habitat as they say. I can see them using the edges of it the 2nd year. Other than that they aren't walking through it. If you have a big creek bottom and different stages of pine growth connected to it, the turkey's do fine. It depends on what type of property you hunt. Whole point is timber companies and large landowners couldn't give a flip about turkey habitat.

I agree with Sherm, lol, yeah blinds, decoys, and deer hunting turkeys put a dent in them and should be a sin.

Possum

Banned
There's a lot to be asked as to understand why they want to burn now. This is the sad truth, people and doing these burns for the money and habitat (although they aren't thinking of the critters the inhabit those woods and their nesting habits).
Also, as I mentioned before here, wire grass seeds out this time of year. Burn it, let the seed hit fresh ground and start more wire grass clumps. People have their reasons. It's their land and their ideas. That's about all we can say on this.

If it’s all about the money, why does the national wild turkey federation recommend it? They in bed with the timber companies?
What about the wildlife biologists? The people who actually have a degree and not just an opinion.

PulaskiHunter

I'm for control burns and understand the benefits for the ecosystem, but during the nest and hatching season? The NWTF support burning then and it's more beneficial to the turkey population then? I'm a member and would love to understand their position. If the science supports it I'll sleep better

XIronheadX

A couple of pics. One of growing season burn before and after. They can nest on the edges. The other is how I do it since they won't let you strike a match to the place.

Attachments

• beforeafer.jpg
    beforeafer.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 154
  • 1027171031_HDR-01 - Copy.jpg
    1027171031_HDR-01 - Copy.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 155

XIronheadX

I guess I can sleep better if I believe what is written. My family property is in Southwest ga, so maybe they are doing some research

http://www.nwtf.org/conservation/article/wild-turkeys-prescribed-fire-southern-piney-woods

It seems that about everything I read is that area. I know Southwest Ga is listed as the highest priority for Longleaf environments. For quail and turkey. It's working well there it appears. Problem is I haven't seen a longleaf since I left Washington Co in the 90's. They cut them all down at the Fall line along with the mixed hardwoods.

Garnto88

Why do you want to destroy a nest of 10 only to hope the re nest has 2 or 3. And if they are nesting there anyway that destroys the argument of producing better nesting sites . People think turkeys fall out of the sky much like deer hunters think deer do also .. sad!!

Possum

Banned
Why do you want to destroy a nest of 10 only to hope the re nest has 2 or 3. And if they are nesting there anyway that destroys the argument of producing better nesting sites . People think turkeys fall out of the sky much like deer hunters think deer do also .. sad!!

Burning cuts down predation so if burning reduced poults hatching by 5% but increased poult survival by 25% that’s a good thing right?
I made the numbers up but it has been proven by every study I’ve seen that the loss is minimal to burning but there is substantial predetaition loss in burned areas.

XIronheadX

I keep looking at the "after" pic above. The one I have for Mississippi prime nesting habitat looks similar. I can see a turkey nesting on the outer edge maybe about 5 to 10 ft inside of it. All the middle area is useless. No turkey is walking in that. lol. Unless you start bush hogging it into strips 15 to 20 yards wide. So, if by "up to" 2/3 of hens will renest. I still don't see the logic.

delacroix

BANNED
What it said is that wildlife biologists and the NWTF all agree that benefits to turkeys far outway the few lost nests. Turkeys will re-nest if destroyed.

For most land, a growing season burn makes more sense than a dormant season burn.

It improves poult survival so I don’t understand why any turkey hunter would be anti-burn?

Because we had more turkeys before the trend toward nesting season burns. That is a much bigger data set than anything collected by those looking to justify making the job of burning easier.

Luke.Deer.Commander

Everyone enjoys coming to the forum to have discussion but the discussion isn’t worth while if all parties involved don’t do any research on the topic. Basing your opinion on previous experiences 25 years ago don’t make you right. Comparing then to now never works. I’ll never understand why this is such a hard topic for most to comprehend.