Hanging a new stand

Hickory Nut

What part of the offseason do you hang a new ladder stand for the upcoming season? This is on private property with only a very slight chance of thievery. Got a good deal on one and I have just the place for it.

littlewolf

I would go ahead and put it up now. Clear your shooting lanes and then just come back during the summer and trim up any new growth amd check your straps etc.

280bst

I would go ahead and put it up now. Clear your shooting lanes and then just come back during the summer and trim up any new growth amd check your straps etc.

what he said I would put a cable lock on it

1 MAVERICK

Ditto ... I usually Turkey hunt in the morning and do all my tweaks and sets of my new stand placements in the afternoon.

Come back in late July / August and check straps and anything else that needs done and stay out till opening day or when you can hunt that stand with the right wind and time of year depending on gun / bow set ...

Barebowyer

I would put it in and not fully tighten the straps just yet..just tight enough to hold to the tree.....Give it a touch up in late summer and you are good to go.....tighten the straps now and you have 9-10 months of tree growth..depending on the tree, etc...just a thought...the ones I leave up year to year, I normally go in now and loosen the straps a little and if on direct sunlight at any time, spraying the straps now with some water repellent/UV protector will make em last way longer and be much safer when you return to hunt...The sun can be hard on them things with dryrot etc..

7Mag Hunter

I put up a ladder stand the day before season
opened and killed an 8pt the next morning.....

Stand leaned up against a tree at deer camp all
summer and i decided to use it on a creek bottom at the last minute...

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Any day of the year. Put up a stand one morning last year and killed an 8-point out of it that afternoon.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Any day of the year. Put up a stand one morning last year and killed an 8-point out of it that afternoon.

This. ^ All my ladder stands come down in January and go back up again mid to late August. The deer don't care.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Deer aren't usually in the same places all year, either.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Nope they got feet and use em to walk around with facepalm::banana::biggrin3:

:D
Let me rephrase my comment: If you put up a stand based on where you are seeing deer activity right now or in the spring or middle of the summer, it may not be a good stand location once deer season gets here. Or it may. :)

rjcruiser

This. ^ All my ladder stands come down in January and go back up again mid to late August. The deer don't care.

x3.

The less they stay out in the woods and get weathered, the better in my opinion.

I left one out last year and it got ants in it. What a mess. Now, I take down them down and put back up before bow season opens up.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
x3.

The less they stay out in the woods and get weathered, the better in my opinion.

I left one out last year and it got ants in it. What a mess. Now, I take down them down and put back up before bow season opens up.

Yep plus I don't want to take a chance on a busted ratchet strap or a rusted stand.

Latest posts