What to plant

Easygo

Is there a good annual to plant now that will attract deer throughout the entire rifle season? I'm not concerned with spring/summer attraction.

shdw633

Soy beans

You better have an electric fence if you are wanting them to last through the deer season. You might want to go with Sunn Hemp and hope for a mild fall. It's good until the first frost and then it's gone. You also may have to keep it mowed to about 2 feet tall if your deer don't do it for you, otherwise it can get to 10 feet tall and have stalks that are hard to disc back into the soil.

Easygo

thanks guys i like iron clay peas but they never quite make it. Would grain sorghum produce more tonnage than oats ? Sorghum planted now vs planting oats in october that is.

DEERFU

I like a wheat/ clover mix. Have even seeded the logging roads with rye

Jim Boyd

If u want good food in winter (read that as rifle season), plant oats/wheat and an annual clover in late September or early October.

Deer flock to these fields and they feed all the way into April.

Take it a step further and go to one of the perennial clovers and if done right - and you get the right conditions - you can feed 10 months per year or more.

Soy beans - we have a harsh deer herd and unless you can protect the field or unless you have a 30-40 acre field to plant, we are wasting our time. You can throw a pork chop past a hungry wolf before you can grow food plot size areas (1-5 acres) of soybeans in our area.

Even ICP, you need a big field in our area.

I can’t think of anything you can plant now tht is gonna carry you through rifle season....

Good luck!

Attachments

• 8FD4824C-6B52-4396-B28E-1B31008836EB.jpg
    8FD4824C-6B52-4396-B28E-1B31008836EB.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 412
  • 51DD0BE2-C19C-4733-B1C4-DAB626C116C0.jpg
    51DD0BE2-C19C-4733-B1C4-DAB626C116C0.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 410

across the river

Is there a good annual to plant now that will attract deer throughout the entire rifle season? I'm not concerned with spring/summer attraction.

There is no such thing. You could come close with corn or soybeans if you had the time, money, or acreage to plant a large field of it.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
If u want good food in winter (read that as rifle season), plant oats/wheat and an annual clover in late September or early October.

Deer flock to these fields and they feed all the way into April.

Take it a step further and go to one of the perennial clovers and if done right - and you get the right conditions - you can feed 10 months per year or more.

Soy beans - we have a harsh deer herd and unless you can protect the field or unless you have a 30-40 acre field to plant, we are wasting our time. You can throw a pork chop past a hungry wolf before you can grow food plot size areas (1-5 acres) of soybeans in our area.

Even ICP, you need a big field in our area.

I can’t think of anything you can plant now tht is gonna carry you through rifle season....

Good luck!

I agree Jim. Wheat, Oats, Clover. I mow in May to keep the clover accessible, and that feeds up until planting time. I also mix in a few brassicas(rape seed mainly)

BONE HEAD

Chicory!! I have had excellent results in both plant growth and deer utilization.

Check it out, lots of stuff on line about it, a few different varieties, easy, cheap, green throughout winter and last several years.

Mix with aeschynomene & a little sunn hemp for spring time plots.