DIY calls, anyone make their own?

tiretool

Been a while since I've been on GON, getting Turkey fever but don't really have a place to hunt, so to pass the time this year I've gotten a lathe and decided to try my hand at some pot calls. I made a few last year with a drill press and forstner bits but wanted something a little more finished. I'll probably keep some, but mainly to give as gifts to guys I know that hunt.... they may not sound good, but they look cool:bounce:

Anyone else tried to make their own, post some pics, I'm looking for ideas. May try my hand at box calls also. I'll try and post some of mine when my wife gives up the laptop for a few minutes:biggrin3:

T-N-T

Box calls were a lot harder for me to get the right sound out of....

Pots have been simple. I googled up what dimensions to turn them to and they all sound decent. Different strikers may change an odd call to an awesome call.

I don't have very many pics though. I have given most all my calls away.

tiretool

These are some I've done in the past couple of weeks, got my dimensions from research on the forums, they sound great to me, easy and cheap if you have free wood. It beats paying $30 or more for mass produced sound alikes, and it keeps me busy but keeps my wife mad.:D

Attachments

• 20180217_155947-800x600.jpg
    20180217_155947-800x600.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 184

grouperdawg

These are some I've done in the past couple of weeks, got my dimensions from research on the forums, they sound great to me, easy and cheap if you have free wood. It beats paying $30 or more for mass produced sound alikes, and it keeps me busy but keeps my wife mad.:D

Thos look awesome, great work!

I posted some pics of some calls in this forum but they moved them to the Call forum. You can check them out under my name

Neil Cost Style box calls are way harder than pot calls to make. But it is nice you can fine tune them to the sound you want although some will end up in the fire ?

I've done some scratch calls but pots are my favorite to make