mayweather vs mcgregor

centerpin fan

I hope McG wins by massive KO.

I don't expect him to win.

Not gonna buy the fight.

red neck richie

i'm gonna rent the fight. anybody else? I hope McGregor knocks wins and not by decision by knockout.

Bunch of hype to sell the fight. Not gonna fall for it. The last fight I bought was Holyfield vs Tyson. If its set up they go 10 otherwise Mayweather knocks his butt out within 3 rounds.

hayseed_theology

I don't think McGregor has much of a chance, but I'd love to see him knock Floyd out.

Not buying the fight, but I will be following live update feed.

The press tour was pathetic. I'm pretty sure even Vince McMahon would think that juvenile circus was a little over the top.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
I believe McGregor is going to get his but knocked out within 2 rounds. No way in the world he can out box Floyd, or match Floyd's speed. Floyd is just too quick. McGregor will look silly in the boxing ring. I just hope he don't forget what type of fight he is in and start throwing kicks at Floyd.

Now, if Floyd decides to fight McGregor in MMA, he'll hurt Floyd in such a fight.

And no, I sure as heck won't be paying to see it.

GoldDot40

My guess is that whoever loses...loses on purpose and gets paid more under the table than the winner for doing so. Bookies have been known to influence high profile/payout fights. I'm not one to buy into the hype.

Showtime

Banned
Bunch of hype to sell the fight. Not gonna fall for it. The last fight I bought was Holyfield vs Tyson. If its set up they go 10 otherwise Mayweather knocks his butt out within 3 rounds.

Maywaether has weak brittle hands. He hasn't knocked anyone out in 10+ years because to hit someone that hard he risks breaking his hands.

Conor will get peppered all night and lose the most lopsided decision in boxing history. Conor won't even land many shots.

BUT Conor will outweigh Floyd by ~15#, easily. And anyone who has watched his fights knows he has a devastating left hand. *IF* he land a left Floyd could go to sleep.

That's a huuuuuuuge if though.

yeah the press tour was bad.to me it seemed to fake but I guess I will fall for it.

Rumors are they flew in on the same private jet to the final press conference. Straight out of the WWE playbook.

Gold Ranger

Maywaether has weak brittle hands. He hasn't knocked anyone out in 10+ years because to hit someone that hard he risks breaking his hands.

Conor will get peppered all night and lose the most lopsided decision in boxing history. Conor won't even land many shots.

BUT Conor will outweigh Floyd by ~15#, easily. And anyone who has watched his fights knows he has a devastating left hand. *IF* he land a left Floyd could go to sleep.

Rumors are they flew in on the same private jet to the final press conference. Straight out of the WWE playbook.

Pretty much nailed it.

I've seen this whole thing play out before when it was called The Great White Hype. Entertaining buildup, but the fight will be a huge letdown.

BuckNasty83

I don't see Mayweather knocking him out. I want to say Mayweather wins, but I'm still undecided. I want Conner to win. And if he does, it'll turn into a "Mayweather is too old" thing. The tour was immature, but not fake. Fake would have been better than that junk. Mayweather lost the talk battle. Boy can't talk trash at all lol

Gold Ranger

I don't see Mayweather knocking him out. I want to say Mayweather wins, but I'm still undecided. I want Conner to win. And if he does, it'll turn into a "Mayweather is too old" thing. The tour was immature, but not fake. Fake would have been better than that junk. Mayweather lost the talk battle. Boy can't talk trash at all lol

There's no way Conner wins this fight. I wish he could, but even at 40 years old, Mayweather is a trained professional boxer. Conner has a strong left hand, but how much knockout power will he have with gloves on?

Mayweather is undefeated and every one of those wins were against professional boxers who have spend most of their lives learning the sport. Conner isn't just gonna become a professional boxer in a few weeks time.

All that being said, if the fight were taking place in the octagon, I would be saying the same thing in reverse. Conner would kill him.

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
Won't even be fun to watch, too lopsided. Mayweather will run circles around him.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
I've never bought a ppv not going to start now. That has got to be the only reason to set this fight up. Neither could defeat the other at there own craft. This is like comparing apples to oranges

oldfella1962

i'm gonna rent the fight. anybody else? I hope McGregor knocks wins and not by decision by knockout.

That will be the only way he wins. If they go the distance Floyd is the master of "point fighting" which is an art form in and of itself - giving the judges what they want to see! :(
McGregor knows he could never win a decision, but Floyd knows that the longer he fights, the better chance of the younger (and very conditioned) McGregor getting lucky and knocking him out.
I expect Floyd to try to fight his usual defensive game knowing he will win, but hoping McGregor tires or gets frustrated and makes a mistake so Floyd can get a KO or at least a TKO. Also if Floyd can knock McGregor down enough times (even if McGregor shakes it off in a standing 8 count) he wins the fight. Boxing is really strict about stopping a fight too soon (for safety) rather than the MMA approach of waiting until the last second.
Or even if one fighter is dominating too much boxing stops the fight rather than let the fight go the distance.

McGregor hopefully considers this in his strategy. McGregor might figure he's not bleeding that bad (or at all) so why stop it just because he's getting his behind handed to him skill level wise? But McGregor does have some boxing experience so he knows it's totally "apples & oranges" in the entire mindset of the two sports.

Floyd has an almost zero chance of KO'ing McGregor but if he knocks him down (or even if McGregor gets off balance and goes down) enough times Floyd wins.

Who knows, maybe McGregor will try to fight very defensively too, waiting until the later rounds when Floyd gets tired/frustrated and then going full bore into trying for a KO?

I do think no matter what, McGregor needs to not fight in too close too often, because Floyd will eat him alive in the clinch. He knows exactly what he can get away with and how to get away with it - Floyd knows how to work the referee, McGregor doesn't.

McGregor will have to figure out ways for the MMA style of fighting to interact with the very specialized rules & techniques of boxing. McGregor claims he doesn't have to "outbox" Floyd, just to "outfight" him which sounds good in theory, but hard to apply in this situation. All McGregor's tools are off the table save striking with fists against a guy who only fights with fists.

Total unpredictability might be McGregor's ace up his sleeve though - he just might make it impossible for Floyd to get any game plan going and totally throw off his timing. McGregor did say that "timing beats speed"
after one victory, and I won't argue with that.

I'm pretty pumped up about the fight, and really should put some money down on McGregor - that payout would be amazing if he pulls this off. :banana:

oldfella1962

Brittle hands Floyd would be hard pressed to knock McGregor out unless it's with a sucker punch, which Floyd has done before.

oldfella1962

I believe McGregor is going to get his but knocked out within 2 rounds. No way in the world he can out box Floyd, or match Floyd's speed. Floyd is just too quick. McGregor will look silly in the boxing ring. I just hope he don't forget what type of fight he is in and start throwing kicks at Floyd.

Now, if Floyd decides to fight McGregor in MMA, he'll hurt Floyd in such a fight.

And no, I sure as heck won't be paying to see it.

I've read that the contract is written so McGregor is strictly forbidden from using any non-boxing tactics. There won't be any "warning" it's game over if McGregor forgets he's only boxing. Floyd would (obviously) get severely injured in an MMA fight - it would literally be a blood-bath for him. It would be a level of pain he can't even conceive of, but something even the female fighters shake off like it's no big deal. When even the MMA fight winners look like they just went through a meat grinder that pretty much tells you MMA is no joke.

oldfella1962

If McGregor gets peppered too much the fight will be stopped before the judges scoring will even matter. One reason why McGregor might need to go for a knockout quickly. Boxing is notorious for early stoppages if one fighter is too far "out of their league".

As for Connor weighing more than Floyd they both have to meet the limit for the weigh-in (I think they are fighting at 156# but I could be wrong - boxing has a lot more weight classes than MMA). If boxing allows 24+ hours to rehydrate after "making weight" (do they? Not a boxing fan) and Connor actually fights at around 170 (his normal "walk around"/actual fighting weight after rehydrating after making weight) and Floyd weighs around 156 naturally then yes, Connor will have a huge strength advantage. And Connor will not gas so forget him getting worn down physically, but mentally? This fight will be much more mental than physical. And Floyd is one of the smartest fighters (as are all defensive fighters) in the game.

burkecountydeer

Floyd is so sharp mentally and physically. He knows the game of boxing. He knows distance within an inch . McGregor wouldn't even compete with guys at Mayweather gym muchless may weather him self. There's no possible way he wins. No lucky shots or anything. Just aint gonna happen. Even tho may weather hasn't knocked anyone out he very much has the ability to do so . McGregor is gonna be so shook up with excitement and he's not gonna get a shot on may weather and he's gonna get frustrated. When you get emotional you get tired. Then the punch you don't see coming is the one that is gonna hurt you. Speed is power. This is a silly fight .

At 40, if Floyd cant keep him off will his cardio falter in later rounds if he cant get Colin out? McGregor has lightning in his left hand. Floyd has never really been hit by a power puncher and thats all McGregor is.

I hope he shuts Mayweather up, only a braggart needs to talk like Mayweather does after all he has accomplished and the money he has.