Golf carts... Gas vs Electric

t8ter

Going against the grain here and I own both and chose the gas.Sooner or later the electric will hold me back.Lets say if I was going to run see my bud on one.Its a 3 mile round trip.On my E one I'd have to make sure of charge.Gas just check the gas gauge n go.
But that's just me.Mine are older ez-go.Gas is lifted E is not.

Triple C

Today's hunting carts with Trojan batteries will easily go way beyond 10 miles on a single charge based on our experience. However, our property rolling terrain. We have a converted cart with lift, 4WD, 2 speed tranny and locking differential going on it's 3rd year. Batteries are beginning to discharge a little more but a full charge still goes all day on the farm. Sucker will fly in high! Not as stealthy as you might think though. They make enough noise that deer still hear them coming if you're close. But, I really like it. Unlike gas, deer can't hear it coming from a100 yds away or more. Plus, you never have to worry about having to run to the store for gas. Just plug it in at night and you're ready to go the next morn. When it's time to replace the batteries I figure the cost will be justified by the fuel savings over several years.

rjcruiser

Today's hunting carts with Trojan batteries will easily go way beyond 10 miles on a single charge based on our experience. However, our property rolling terrain. We have a converted cart with lift, 4WD, 2 speed tranny and locking differential going on it's 3rd year. Batteries are beginning to discharge a little more but a full charge still goes all day on the farm. Sucker will fly in high! Not as stealthy as you might think though. They make enough noise that deer still hear them coming if you're close. But, I really like it. Unlike gas, deer can't hear it coming from a100 yds away or more. Plus, you never have to worry about having to run to the store for gas. Just plug it in at night and you're ready to go the next morn. When it's time to replace the batteries I figure the cost will be justified by the fuel savings over several years.

I agree. Gas are smelly too...so the wife and kids will let you know they don't like riding it around.

One other note, depending on your set up, you can get pretty close to silent with electric. My current cart has an aftermarket controller and motor and it is dead silent. Only thing you hear is the tires over the terrain.

On other carts that I've had, with stock motors, there does seem to be a little hum.

SELFBOW

Gas. Less worries. Two fillups the entire season and I put alot of miles on it.
Aluminum frame as well ...

photo IMG_20150820_130511497_zps4qo9txcs.jpg

gcs

If you go with a lifted electric cart, make sure it has a upgraded the electrical system. Just putting a lift kit under a cart will kill the torque/power of the cart. With a lifted cart, it should also have larger battery cables, higher amp controller, higher amp solenoid, and a heavy duty f/r switch.
I love my 48 volt club car that I lifted. I also replaced the motor with a high torque motor, it will go also most anywhere I want it to.

releehweoj

Another vote for 48V electric. Very quiet moving thru our property. Have driven within 100 yds of friends hunting and looking the other way and they said they never saw/heard me. Pretty flat land so have used it to haul out myself, my son (250#), his friend (250#) and 2 deer. No smell as from gas model and I too have parked right by powerline stand that is on edge of thick brush. Had it built 3 years ago from a bare 2007 CC DS frame and motor. Everything else is new including batteries, A-arm lift and 22" tires, body panels, lights, windshield, brush guard, black seat, black rear flip seat and black top, 48V-12V converter, etc. I also charge it after every use including during the day after morning hunt. Never had any performance problems with this setup - even with stock motor, controller, etc. All for around $3500 - not bad compared to $8-12K for a new UTV or Bad Boy.

Attachments

• HuntingBuggy.jpg
    HuntingBuggy.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 313
Last edited:

rustybucket

We have an electric cart. It's not tricked out like everybody else's here. It's a simple green 4 seater golf cart. Stock tires. The rear seat folds flat to act as a flatbed for hauling small stuff.

We also have a reese hitch on it for hauling small trailers, also have a hookup for the craftsman yard trailer.

Honestly we use the cart more than I ever imagined. It's quiet, has tons of torque, but the thing I like about it the most is that you can slowly creep along in the woods, and if the trail is dirt you are basically silent.

Only reason I would ever have a gas cart would be if I had a LOT of land. We've done a few tests on our cart to see how long the battery really lasted without charge, 3 days of use (a weekend) seems to be about max. But we just plug in the charger every night when we put her to bed.

BTW, I think we paid about $1200 for our cart. It was a garage queen, in a golf course community, and well kept (no scratches...etc) and yr old batteries.

Needless to say we use it as a woods cart, so the 'no scratch' thing is long gone :D. Also, the stock size tires have done fantastic for us, was originally planning on getting bigger tires, but after using the cart with stock tires on our land (fairly flat) I see absolutely no reason to get bigger tires (other than to look cool)

Buckbuster

Are the carts with a lift kit top heavy? I looked at one today that looked like I would be uneasy on the side of a hill in it.

releehweoj

Are the carts with a lift kit top heavy? I looked at one today that looked like I would be uneasy on the side of a hill in it.

I guess it depends on the lift, the height of the lift and the tires. I hear that the spindle lifts can get a little squirrel-ly at higher speeds. Mine is a 6" A-arm and it is rock-solid even at 20+mph on pavement. I live on a pond and have driven it on the back side of the dam and haven't flipped it yet.

rjcruiser

I think it depends on the lift and the cart. I think Yamaha's are the worst when they're lifted. My current Club Car Precedent is about as solid as they come....but the wheels are off-set a bit and I think that helps a bit.