Daughters who hunt?

Who has daughters? Do they hunt? Did they ever hunt? Does the thought of hunting gross them out?

I am going to be having a daughter soon and i have already bought her a few starter guns. I know it is early but it would be nice to have an arsenal for her to choose from when she gets to be about 8 or so and can go deer hunting with me, if she is interested in it.

Problem is, i hunt with many gals and most say they did not hunt when they were a child because they thought it was gross. One lady i hunt with quite often said that she has hunted her whole life because her father hunted and she went along ever since she was like 2 or 3 years old. She killed her first deer at 6 and has killed a ton of deer since then.

I was just wondering what other hunters who had daughters had to say about how they got into hunting or why they didn't get into hunting...

turtlebug

The best thing you can do is expose her to it and see what happens. I know many girls who hunted with their dads (and loved it) until boys and cars came along and then it became gross. :huh:

My daughter is coming around. She's never been "girlie" but more the intellectual "Save the whales" and "Drop me off at the library" type. She started shooting a recurve, she loved it, we bought her a Genesis, she hated it and hasn't shot since. :huh: Two years ago, she said she'd sit in a stand with Fishbait or myself and just take a camera. She didn't want "to kill an animal". :huh: :banginghe

Well, something has changed. She just started the 6th grade and she's eating different foods (chicken only for years), she's actually enjoying looking at the bragging board here, she really LOOKED at the pics of me and the recently deceased by my hands dead hogs, she WANTS to shoot a gun and she WANTS to take the Hunter's Safety course. :hair: :clap: :fine:

I'm keeping my fingers crossed but I think we might actually make a hunter out of her after all. :banana:

Son on the other hand, if it don't have a spark plug, other than shooting a bow in a competition here and there, it ain't gonna happen. :cry: He wants to hunt but doesn't like the time and effort of practicing and scouting. It's too much like work I guess. Give him an engine and he'll work on it til he drops. Go figure. :rolleyes:

turtlebug

Oh and congrats on the baby girl! :cool:

dobenator

My daughter has been hunting with me since she was 6, She is now 23 and is quite an accomplished outdoorswoman! She makes me proud! I just wish we could hunt together more.

dobenator

My daughter has been hunting with me since she was 6, She is now 23 and is quite an accomplished outdoorswoman! She makes me proud! I just wish we could hunt together more.

She is huntin dobbs on the forum!

joe wiechec

My daughter likes the outdoors but can't deal with the killing part. The good part is she isn't anti hunter she knows it isn't a good thing to keep them all in the woods to cause over population.

Hoss

My daughters both hunt or maybe I should say did hunt. They enjoy it, but aren't really into it too much. Seems as they got older, they got more involved with other activities and didn't have the time to get out in the woods. Both would however not hesitate to go again.

Hoss

Thanks for the reply's. I was thinking about introducing her to hunting and the whole dead animal part of it early on...and hopefully she will be excited to be able to hunt when she turns 8, which is when i have decided i will take her, if she wants to go. I do not think i will let her "hunt" till then. I will probably take her along on hunting trips when possible but she will not be toting a gun.

kgo

My baby girl will be 8 saturday and she has ask if we could go hunting for a little while in the morning time for her birthday. She has never been , I will take her for a slow walk in and then we will sit in chairs on the ground for just a little while then a slow walk back to the house . I think that will be good for her first time in the woods with daddy. I am so proud.K

quinn

Mine's going with me Sat.trying to shoot one with the crossbow.She got her first last day of the year last year.She was 18then,said she wishes she would have started earlier.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Mine is 12. She did not get into it very deep. She will go several times per year and sit me me or my wife. She did tell me the other that she was ready to try and shoot a deer, so maybe will pick it up after all. Hopefully, but if not, at least she was introduced to hunting and given a chance to pick it up. She is the type that will make me take her to the movies on Sunday because I hunted with my son on Saturday. I will go one step further, I had to take her to get her nails done one Saturday afternoon while momma took our son hunting. Shes a daddys girl for sure:love:

shakey hunter

My daughter did hunt tree rats with dogs with a man name Lavan McDaniel and me then Lavan died very sudden. She took it real hard she looked up to him like a gradpaw. I have not been able to get her back into the woods from that day on I went as far as buying a Treeing Fiest for us to train and hunt with ended up selling him. Now is like Tbug said boys and other stuff for her now. She will go fishing with her, "friend that is a boy not to be confused for a boyfriend" thats what she told me. When I ask her to go she is all fished out. I didnt know there was a such a thing. Good luck I hope you can keep her in the woods, even if she dont hunt or fish enjoy the time you have with her.

parolebear

My daughter is 24 and has hunted (and fished) since she was about 10 and was sitting with me in the stand a couple of years prior to that. She shot on 4-H BB team and killed her first deer at about 10-12 (I'm old and don't remember). Currently she is in grad school in Texas (Texas A and M) and has her rifle and shotgun out there. She has hunted there but has not found her daddy a nice east Texas ranch to hunt yet. Mainly when she comes home at Christmas we have to go a few times just for old times sake. Usually she kills a nice doe to can and take back to TX. She has been drug to gun shows, gun shops and ranges her whole life. But can out shoot her daddy with her rifle just abotu everyday. I can still take her with a handgun (for now).

jigman

I’ve had my daughter (only child) in the outdoors since she was 5 and she will be 20 oct-29th and she still loves hunting and fishing, she is a very special young lady and has turned out to be a great outdoorsmen and I know raising her up in the outdoors has really kept her grounded and I have no regrets at all, But there is one problem she’s at the age that she is ready to explore and experience things on her own and (I’m having a hard time letting go):cry:, even though I have taught her well I fell that I should always be with her to keep her safe and to be close by just incase something may go wrong, she started asking last year to go hunting and fishing by herself on some days that I wasn’t able to go and I refused because I don’t think a young lady should be alone in the woods or on the water by themselves (maybe I’m over protective of her ?),last Sunday I was waxing my truck and doing other chores around the house and she ask if I would let her and her boyfriend take our boat to the lake fishing which I agreed since she knows how to unload and load and operate the boat by herself and she would have her (boyfriend I’m having a hard time with this too):banginghe with her and all went well but I worried the hole time they were gone. This morning I get up and go to work and my wife calls me about an hour after I left and told me that my daughter was awake when I left the house this morning waiting on me to leave to get up and put on her hunting stuff and go hunting, she told her mom that she was going hunting and where she would be just in case and ask not to call and tell me that she would talked to me about it when I got back home, which my wife did call but I just told my wife that I would talk to her when I get home and to keep in touch with her by txting her to make sure she had her safety harness on is ok so about 9 am I get a txt msg. from my daughter saying I know your going to be mad but I’ve got a deer on the ground :Dand sends me a picture of it, so I txt her back telling her she’s needs to get it field dressed and to the cooler as quick as possible, an hour later I get off from work and meet her at a friends private cooler down the road from work to help her get the cooler turned on and get the deer inside. so when I get there she looks at me and said now how can you get made at me for doing this and you know your proud of me, so I get her in a head lock and throw her across my back and told her that she was disturbing me and my job and then gave her high five and told her to get back home and feed the chickens and do your online classes.
Bottom line is dad’s that have little girls that wont them to be outdoorsmen be very careful what you ask for!!!!!!!! It’s not easy on the soul and will create a very strong LOVE and relationship.
She will always be my baby Girl:love:
The last deer picture is the deer she shoot this morning and while hunting by herself:clap:the truck and boat picture is her truck and our boat from last sunday
I will also post this in the bragging board and let her tell the story of the hunt herself,her screen name is Georgiagurl89.
Thanks for reading and good luck with your baby girl 11P&YBOWHUNTER

Attachments

• 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    168.7 KB · Views: 128
  • AMBER%20122.jpg
    AMBER%20122.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 131
  • Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 130
  • 0930090941a.jpg
    0930090941a.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 129
  • 0809091937.jpg
    0809091937.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 134
  • 0927091853.jpg
    0927091853.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 131
  • 1248672103_l.jpg
    1248672103_l.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 130
  • l_2c83d7f532a3d440196cea9f7911f710.jpg
    l_2c83d7f532a3d440196cea9f7911f710.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 132
  • l_966411e4d0c02002204b257a0dd66729.jpg
    l_966411e4d0c02002204b257a0dd66729.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 130

Melissa

I am a daughter that hunts and I've hunted my whole life with my dad. I've also fished, hiked, camped, and went 4 wheeling with him. He got me in the outdoors when I was a baby. I have a picture of me sun burned because he had me on the dock in my carrier while he fished, lol. I'm thankful everyday for the way I was raised. I'm thankful for my dad for bringing me along with him and my mom letting him, lol.

Get her in the outdoors as soon as possible and teach her all you know, she'll love it and love you for it and appreciate it.

The Big Z

I have 2 daughters 11 & 12. 12 yr old will be hunting with me this year. The other one has no interest. Both like to shoot the guns. I bought my daughter a 7mm-08 this year and she will be hunting with that. We may only get out a few times, but i am looking forward to it. They both like to fish and camp.

Congrats on a girl!!!!!!!!