ILLINOIS Shotgun Buck

titlewave

I Just got back from the 3 day Illinois shotgun 1ST season. Weather was wild at best with day one being the best weather day , cold and clear. Got to the property I wanted to hunt early am to 13 degree weather winds out of the east south east. Had a climber i had left there during bow season so I went right there. Saw nothing till 8 am when i saw another hunter 150-200 yards south of me across the creek walking in late. I figured i should pack up then but waited till 12:30 or so to pack up and walk out.

I had decided i was leaving this farm and going else where but after i walked 1 miles back to my atv with my stand i changed my mind and stayed at the farm. I decided to move north 1.5 miles to a 6 acres block of timber with beans on one side and river to my back and heavy thick timber through out the block. Got in a 1:30 or so and sat till 4:40 till I finally saw one lone doe walking north of my position 150 or so yards out . I checked behind her and nada.

She walks north about 75 yards and links up with 2 other doe I never saw, and all 3 look back to where I first saw doe one. Right then i see a wide tall 8 point buck raking a tree. I needed him to walk to the does and I would have a nice shot through the heavy timber. Well a tense moment or two later he made it where i could shoot and I let the 12 GA sing.

I knew i hit him good because I could hear him and see him running hard north and crash about 75 yards up from where he was.. I got down and reloaded and walked up 75 yards and looked in with the binos to see big horns sticking up . Walk up and he’s been heart shot and totally dead :fine:

This capped off a great season in the Midwest three deer in three sits in two states ( Indiana and Illinois) Without a doubt the best hunting trip of my life so far.

Attachments

• shotgundeer2014.jpg
    shotgundeer2014.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 2,318
  • wynoones1.jpg
    wynoones1.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 2,329
  • wynoones2.JPG
    wynoones2.JPG
    323.7 KB · Views: 2,294
  • wynoones3.JPG
    wynoones3.JPG
    278.2 KB · Views: 2,303
  • wynoones4.JPG
    wynoones4.JPG
    260.4 KB · Views: 2,263
  • wynoones5.JPG
    wynoones5.JPG
    174.5 KB · Views: 2,247
Last edited:

Cletus T.

Great deer

Great story of the hunt.

Congrats on the successful hunting season so far!

Scotsman

That's a nice one! Great hunt!

sman

Congrats!

titlewave

Great deer. What was your shotgun and slug setup?

H and R Ultra Slug Hunter 12 Gauge single shot
Nikon Slug Hunter BDC
Remington Accutip 3 inch slugs

Very deadly Combo and a great low cost solution for those that have to hunt with a shotgun.

Mine is dialed to 300 yards.