Huge deer on the southend of St. Simons Island

shdw633

It's a private endeavor on private property.

Nothing for the state to"Open up."

If it's all private then why is there an issue hunting them? Sounds like a preserve kind of hunt to me. Again, if they want them gone why not provide the opportunity for hunters to get them gone.

JackSprat

If it's all private then why is there an issue hunting them? Sounds like a preserve kind of hunt to me. Again, if they want them gone why not provide the opportunity for hunters to get them gone.

No issue at all on hunting. Just make arrangements with the owners of LSSI.

As other posts have stated, you can hunt them 24/7/365 once you get permission.

Lodging starts at about $600 a day.

It's not 3 guys sharing a room in a Motel 6.

shdw633

Ok, got it....thanks :cheers:

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist

If you're trying to eradicate something, hunting usually isn't the most efficient way to accomplish it.

run68bone

I’ve reached out and the staff at LSS will not allow hunting. Fishing is great but I’ve asked and they said not guest hunting. Nor would they say how to do management hunts work. Looks like we are out of luck if we want to hunt Fallow there.

Last edited:

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
I’ve reached out and the staff at LSS will not allow hunting. Fishing is great but I’ve asked and they said not guess hunting. Nor would they say how to do management hunts work. Looks like we are out of luck if we want to hunt Fallow there.
The fact that they've eradicated them from the island also impedes hunting opportunity. There used to be a very exclusive hunting club which was the only way you could hunt there, from what I recall you had to wait on someone to die to get on the list and annual dues were thousands of dollars.

The fact that they've eradicated them from the island also impedes hunting opportunity. There used to be a very exclusive hunting club which was the only way you could hunt there, from what I recall you had to wait on someone to die to get on the list and annual dues were thousands of dollars.

I know this is an old thread but I just have to say this is typical Georgia dnr. They want every animal eradicated for some reason. They constantly do this. Those deer have been there for 100 years and they want them gone. They are nothing more than politicians. Got nothing to do with wildlife. Just like the hogs they are killing on ossabaw. They say they are “invasive” but have been here since the 1500’s only now have they become a problem. There used to be a 2 hog limit on them and as soon as the lady that gifted the island to them got too old and had to move off the island they started eradicated them. All for turtles that have thousand of miles of beach to lay their eggs on

NCMTNHunter

I know this is an old thread but I just have to say this is typical Georgia dnr. They want every animal eradicated for some reason. They constantly do this. Those deer have been there for 100 years and they want them gone. They are nothing more than politicians. Got nothing to do with wildlife. Just like the hogs they are killing on ossabaw. They say they are “invasive” but have been here since the 1500’s only now have they become a problem. There used to be a 2 hog limit on them and as soon as the lady that gifted the island to them got too old and had to move off the island they started eradicated them. All for turtles that have thousand of miles of beach to lay their eggs on

I’m pretty sure this has nothing to do with DNR. The owners of the island took initiative to get rid of non native species and restore natural habitat. It is a 100% private island and they have their own biologists from what I understand.

JWT

How is hogs a non native species? Been here longer than all of us! Let’s kill the wild horses to, and stomp turtle eggs

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist

Like @NCMTNHunter said, this is a completely privately owned island and it was a decision the owners made. Honestly I was sad to see them go.

As for the pigs on Ossabaw, they are just a bunch of mutts and not the original Spanish pigs. Over the years so many other breeds were introduced onto the island that they are no different than what's on the mainland. Control efforts increased because virtually no turtle nests were surviving on the island, hogs were eating them all. Every species of sea turtle that nests on our coast is threatened or endangered. There may be thousands of miles of beaches, but the vast majority are so developed that they are no longer suitable for nesting. The few unspoiled beaches we have are pretty critical. There will likely always be hogs on Ossabaw, but expecting to see dozens of pigs per hunt is unrealistic and detrimental to many other species of wildlife.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
How is hogs a non native species? Been here longer than all of us! Let’s kill the wild horses to, and stomp turtle eggs

We aren't really native to this continent either. I would be all for getting rid of some of the horses, they are really overpopulated. Did you know that the Federal government has to lease thousands of acres of fenced pasture to put wild horses on because public land can't support that many and they aren't allowed to kill any to manage them? Leave the turtles alone though.

Joe Brandon

We aren't really native to this continent either. I would be all for getting rid of some of the horses, they are really overpopulated. Did you know that the Federal government has to lease thousands of acres of fenced pasture to put wild horses on because public land can't support that many and they aren't allowed to kill any to manage them? Leave the turtles alone though.
Mr. Killmaster you all do a great job and provide us with many hunting opportunity's. The mass majority of us appreciate you!!!

Like @NCMTNHunter said, this is a completely privately owned island and it was a decision the owners made. Honestly I was sad to see them go.

As for the pigs on Ossabaw, they are just a bunch of mutts and not the original Spanish pigs. Over the years so many other breeds were introduced onto the island that they are no different than what's on the mainland. Control efforts increased because virtually no turtle nests were surviving on the island, hogs were eating them all. Every species of sea turtle that nests on our coast is threatened or endangered. There may be thousands of miles of beaches, but the vast majority are so developed that they are no longer suitable for nesting. The few unspoiled beaches we have are pretty critical. There will likely always be hogs on Ossabaw, but expecting to see dozens of pigs per hunt is unrealistic and detrimental to many other species of wildlife.

There are articles of DNR being involved to specifically eradicate them and quotes from DNR personnel to eradicate them from ssi and little ssi

As far as ossabaw goes it was donated to the state with the trust of the management. It sure is coincidental that when mrs sandy west had to leave the island it all changed and the hogs needed to go. We pay for that island to be ran with our hunting license and they pay someone to kill them all. There are literally thousands of miles for the sea turtles to nest. Those hogs have been there for hundreds of years and now they are a problem?? Georgia DNR is ran by politicians nothing more. It’s ridiculous that DNR has taken everything that makes that island great to the people that pay to keep it up and removes it. It used to be a good experience and I really think DNR is killing deer as well. The success used to be over 100 percent for years. No if it hits 50 that’s a good year

Also if dnr wants to save sea turtles (which by the way provides absolutely no recreational opportunities) then they need stop putting money from hunters into saving them while simultaneously destroying our game populations. They want hogs gone and deer limit is 12 per year. Won’t be long it will be like the 60’s when all people can hunt is rabbits and squirrels

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Also if dnr wants to save sea turtles (which by the way provides absolutely no recreational opportunities) then they need stop putting money from hunters into saving them while simultaneously destroying our game populations. They want hogs gone and deer limit is 12 per year. Won’t be long it will be like the 60’s when all people can hunt is rabbits and squirrels

Wow, that's a little selfish. Maybe do some research, all the hog control on Ossabaw is funded from grants that were not derived from hunting licenses or taxes on firearms. DNR does lots of other things besides managing game animals and has different funding sources for those other purposes.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
There are articles of DNR being involved to specifically eradicate them and quotes from DNR personnel to eradicate them from ssi and little ssi

As far as ossabaw goes it was donated to the state with the trust of the management. It sure is coincidental that when mrs sandy west had to leave the island it all changed and the hogs needed to go. We pay for that island to be ran with our hunting license and they pay someone to kill them all. There are literally thousands of miles for the sea turtles to nest. Those hogs have been there for hundreds of years and now they are a problem?? Georgia DNR is ran by politicians nothing more. It’s ridiculous that DNR has taken everything that makes that island great to the people that pay to keep it up and removes it. It used to be a good experience and I really think DNR is killing deer as well. The success used to be over 100 percent for years. No if it hits 50 that’s a good year

The island owners hired USDA Wildlife Services to do the eradication, DNR had no part in it.

Intensive hog control began long before Ms. West left the island, over 20 years ago at least. DNR is not killing deer on the island, I can promise you that. Funding for that island comes from a lot more sources than just hunters. Ossabaw is not a typical WMA, it's a heritage preserve with stipulations from Ms. West. As such, it's managed a little different than other WMAs purchased with hunters dollars.

Last edited:
The island owners hired USDA Wildlife Services to do the eradication, DNR had no part in it.

Intensive hog control began long before Ms. West left the island, over 20 years ago at least. DNR is not killing deer on the island, I can promise you that. Funding for that island comes from a lot more sources than just hunters. Ossabaw is not a typical WMA, it's a heritage preserve with stipulations from Ms. West. As such, it's managed a little different than other WMAs purchased with hunters dollars.

if you would like I can send you documentation