Huge deer on the southend of St. Simons Island

The island was purchased by the state, it wasn't a gift.

"In 1978, no longer able to subsidize the artistic, educational, and scientific activity on the island, and eschewing lucrative offers of resort development, Mrs. West and her brother's children chose to sell the island to the State of Georgia as a Heritage Preserve with the understanding that Ossabaw would "be used for natural, scientific and cultural study, research and education, and environmentally sound preservation, conservation and management of the Island's ecosystem."

I'm sorry you're so upset, but it seems like you have your mind made up.
you need to check your facts. A large portion was a gift and was under an agreement dnr is not following

The island was purchased by the state, it wasn't a gift.

"In 1978, no longer able to subsidize the artistic, educational, and scientific activity on the island, and eschewing lucrative offers of resort development, Mrs. West and her brother's children chose to sell the island to the State of Georgia as a Heritage Preserve with the understanding that Ossabaw would "be used for natural, scientific and cultural study, research and education, and environmentally sound preservation, conservation and management of the Island's ecosystem."

I'm sorry you're so upset, but it seems like you have your mind made up.

As do you I can send you facts showing it and you will ignore them

I don't agree with some of the DNRs actions but I know some of them personally and can honestly say that they didn't just take some random job. At a young age they sought out there careers because of their interests and love for the wild places and the things that live there. And I'm talking from techs to biologist. They work hard, often without direct supervision because they're self motivated by their passion for what they're doing. Don't get me wrong, there have definitely been some calls made that I do not agree with, but just because I don't like it, agree with it, or find it inconvenient doesn't make those decisions wrong. The DNR does a lot of State Park stuff that doesn't benefit my hunting ONE bit. But have you ever seen them lil' city kids oooh & ahhhhhh over the wildlife they see there? Or an elderly couple taking a stroll on a well kept path? Or even some city slickers doing s'mores round a DNR fireside grill.
Seems like most people are blinded by WHAT THEY WANT, rather than looking at the big picture. The DNR manages PUBLIC land. PUBLIC. P-U-B-L-I-C land. If it were up to me you could only hunt with a stickbow all season and there would be hogs running rampant in every county of the state! But that wouldn't benefit the whole. Bear population is exploding in north Georgia and I love it! Problems for the DNR and every resident with a garden or a garbage can, but I love it! I love hunting 'em, eating 'em & seeing them. Instead of running the DNR down, we orta be buying their lunch when we see 'em. So put that in yer smipe & poke it!

I find it funny that you would applaud them when presented with evidence of their mismanagement. Just sheep following the government hearded

Kudzu has been here a long time too. Just sayin’...never knew anyone could get so worked up over killing a pest. @Dustin4106, with so many complaints and reliance on the govt to facilitate your family’s hunting, why not just buy an island off the GA coast and manage it how you please? Or BUY YOUR OWN land somewhere??? I’d imagine your complain about something no matter what....heck, even better, buy a place in the beloved west where they take such care and know so well how to manage game....then MOVE THERE!!

We already bought ossabaw With our tax money. It’s public land. Dnr doesn’t own it to use for their private hunting club it’s mine and yours. All of you who will allow dnr to kill thousands of animals of a public land wma per year and won’t stand for anything need to just join the Democratic Party and continue being a sheep

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Dustin4106,
You need to take a step back and take a breath. You are doing nothing but damaging your cause.

Dont offer to send the evidence privately. Post it right here!

If you can even take a objective look at things:

In the big picture. How many wild hogs are there in the U.S. alone? Alot more than endangered sea turtles.

P.S.
Your view of, Feral hogs are more important that endangered turtles. Is great fodder for the antis of why hunting should be outlawed.

fullerusmc

Funny how someone is quick to say anyone who disagrees with him might as well be a democrat yet he sounds very similar to the defund police movement with his defund DNR mentality.

sleepr71

The problem with Hogs is they Outbreed & overrun ANY Ecosystem they are allowed to exist in. Any system. Just to keep the Wild hog population stable/static...I’d say you have to kill 80% of the breeding age Pigs. No opinion on the Fallow Deer,other than they were a non-native “novelty”..that don’t belong either :huh: Personally,I’d like to see about 95% of Wild Hogs eradicated from GA:rockon:

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
The problem with Hogs is they Outbreed & overrun ANY Ecosystem they are allowed to exist in. Any system. Just to keep the Wild hog population stable/static...I’d say you have to kill 80% of the breeding age Pigs. No opinion on the Fallow Deer,other than they were a non-native “novelty”..that don’t belong either :huh: Personally,I’d like to see about 95% of Wild Hogs eradicated from GA:rockon:

This is correct. If we were dealing with pure Eurasian wild boar we wouldn't have near the problem since they breed once a year and have small litters. The feral pigs we have across the state were domesticated for 9,000 years and bred for really high reproductive rates. There is not a single species of wild ungulate on the planet of similar size that matches their reproduction.

strothershwacker

We already bought ossabaw With our tax money. It’s public land. Dnr doesn’t own it to use for their private hunting club it’s mine and yours. All of you who will allow dnr to kill thousands of animals of a public land wma per year and won’t stand for anything need to just join the Democratic Party and continue being a sheep
Won't stand for anything? You ain't nothing more than an armchair critic who has no idea of who your talking to. Boy.

Mexican Squealer

I own my own land. Depending on the Govt to take care of your hunting opportunities sounds a little more sheepish and Dem like to me....good stuff.

Won't stand for anything? You ain't nothing more than an armchair critic who has no idea of who your talking to. Boy.[/QUOTE

Boy? Really. Keyboard warrior. “Boy watch who you are talking to boy”. That’s funny the use of the word boy. I think we can all tell your IQ level. Boy. You’re probably the same guy that always says. “ I wish he would have hit me like that”. When there is nothing left beer deer and coyotes all you ignorant people won’t be laughing. Go drink another bud lite and get on your keyboard and call someone boy again. That person you’re calling boy on your computer is probably the same person you call sir and boss at work. ****. Boy. Hahahahahaha

Throwback

Chief Big Taw

Baaaaaaa

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
So what you’re saying is your protecting a hunters way of life on the coast by removing them? Kinda like the traditions of family’s that waited for the rejection notices to go to ossabaw. If DNR cared so much about conservation there would be a 12 deer limit and they wouldn’t have introduced coyotes that are wreaking havoc on deer and other small game

Let me guess. The DNR was pressured by insurance companies to introduce coyotes to lower the deer population?

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
People worrying about a danged hog.
pitiful

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Let me guess. The DNR was pressured by insurance companies to introduce coyotes to lower the deer population?
Why yes T, yes they did! You always were a good guesser! I can’t believe I read this whole thread this am too. Funny how pictures of big deer can make grownups say what is on they’re mind, even if it is full of mush.