Cooked vs raw shrimp grits?

Artfuldodger

OK so I made this gravy/sauce with flour, bacon grease, chicken broth, garlic, lemon juice, sausage, and frozen cooked shrimp.

The gravy/sauce was tasty and I dumped it all on my cheese grits. So I had the cheese thing, the sausage going on, the lemony garlicky sauce going on but I was disappointed in the shrimp. They were tasteless pieces of rubber.

I'm thinking that since the shrimp were already cooked I should have just added them to the mess last and right before serving them.

Since they didn't add any flavor to the sauce, I'll add frozen raw shrimp next time. If that don't work, I'll add fresh raw shrimp. I know that fresh shrimp are better but frozen shrimp are more convenient.

I'm not looking for a super strong shrimp flavor but I would like for them to taste like shrimp and not be so rubbery.

mikep

We're they farm raised? I won't waste money on farm raised or them shrimps from out of country. Zero flavor.

Dub

Agreed on the convenience.

Grew up in coastal NC and I do miss it....not the hurricane threat.....but the seafood. Fresh shrimp and fish were always abundant. As a kid....I took it for granted.

Yeah, man....gonna do low country boil later this afternoon.....frozen raw shrimp will have to get'r'dun as I'm all outa the good stuff.

A trip to ENC is soon in order !!!!

As far as far as shrimp n' grits go....I've never really done much special to them...just used quality grits like Bob's Red Mill or the like and add some cheddar and ground up some peppercorns, salted, thin sliced chives or green onions and add raw shrimp right at the end.

Artfuldodger

We're they farm raised? I won't waste money on farm raised or them shrimps from out of country. Zero flavor.

Yep, farm raised in Thailand from Walmart. Just learned my lesson on that. I saw some wild caught raw frozen Gulf shrimp from the US beside the ones I bought. I'll try those next time. You get what you pay for. I don't think they were that much more than the ones I bought. I'd pay double if they taste like shrimp.

I wanted something frozen so that I could do like Dub and just throw a handful in some cheese grits. No one in my family eats them besides me so it's not like I'm cooking a big presentation.

Artfuldodger

My cousin lived in Moss Point, Mississippi and had his own small shrimp boat. He ran a marina on the Pascagoula River. The shrimp boat was just for him and family members. Mom used to bring them home and freeze in in old milk containers. Back when we bought milk in a cardboard container.
They tasted good thawed and boiled.

Like Dub, maybe I took it for granted. I had some shrimp and grits in Savannah the other day that were good. I recommend The 5 Spot on Habersham and Tubby's Tank House in Thunderbolt.

Artfuldodger

Agreed on the convenience.

Grew up in coastal NC and I do miss it....not the hurricane threat.....but the seafood. Fresh shrimp and fish were always abundant. As a kid....I took it for granted.

Yeah, man....gonna do low country boil later this afternoon.....frozen raw shrimp will have to get'r'dun as I'm all outa the good stuff.

A trip to ENC is soon in order !!!!

As far as far as shrimp n' grits go....I've never really done much special to them...just used quality grits like Bob's Red Mill or the like and add some cheddar and ground up some peppercorns, salted, thin sliced chives or green onions and add raw shrimp right at the end.

The sailors on those old Spanish galleons making it to North Carolina in the heart of hurricane season may have seen some shrimps.

For some reason I've never made it past Myrtle Beach into North Carolina. I've planned a few trips but never made it. Maybe one day.

Dub

The sailors on those old Spanish galleons making it to North Carolina in the heart of hurricane season may have seen some shrimps.

For some reason I've never made it past Myrtle Beach into North Carolina. I've planned a few trips but never made it. Maybe one day.

If you golf or shop....then don't bother....Myrtle Beach is the ticket.

If you want to shoot some coastal ducks and eat your back out.....then keep heading North. :D

Artfuldodger

If you golf or shop....then don't bother....Myrtle Beach is the ticket.

If you want to shoot some coastal ducks and eat your back out.....then keep heading North. :D

Not much on golf or shopping. We went to Myrtle when my girls were younger.

I don't know about shooting ducks but I could go for some seafood, check our Ocracoke, and tour the USS North Carolina.:bounce: