tactical rifle or mountain rifle under 1K

sweatequity

I recently completed the paperwork to get my suppressor, I purchased a silencerco hybrid that I could use from 9mm to 45-70.

I decided I wanted a mountain rife or tactical rifle that already has the 5/8-24 thread. Why not add long range shooting to my hunting addiction?

Here is my dilemma, I held several of the Remington 700s and mossberg and all seem overly heavy to me.

Then I look at a few mountain rifles and they are way over 1K.

I am interested in 7mm-08 or 308.

Any suggestions for a good light weight, rifle that I can shoot long distance and easily hump through the woods?

Big7

The Oracle
Ruger Scout.

Several calibers.

I'd suggest getting a "correct" weight rifle for a price that allows you to have the muzzle then threaded for your use. My suggestion is the Kimber m84 Hunter rifle in 6.5CM, 7/08 or .308. Basic rifle weighs ~ 5.5 pounds.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/hunter

Attachments

• Kimber M84 HUnter.jpg
    Kimber M84 HUnter.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 467

Jester896

Senior Clown
wouldn't a sporter contour barrel give a pretty strong POI shift with all of that weight on the end?

Will45

Double check 2 things before going any further:

Is the suppressor rated for the cartridges you plan on shooting?

What is the suppressor manufacturer 's minimum barrel diameter requirements for the thread pitch?

This will narrow your options considerably.

sweatequity

Double check 2 things before going any further:

Is the suppressor rated for the cartridges you plan on shooting?

What is the suppressor manufacturer 's minimum barrel diameter requirements for the thread pitch?

This will narrow your options considerably.

I bought the silencerco hybrid, it can shoot 9mm to 45/70. Pretty much everything over .223 is 5/8-24

sweatequity

I'd suggest getting a "correct" weight rifle for a price that allows you to have the muzzle then threaded for your use. My suggestion is the Kimber m84 Hunter rifle in 6.5CM, 7/08 or .308. Basic rifle weighs ~ 5.5 pounds.

Nice rifle! Is it a safe assumption that tactical rifles are suppose to be heavier? Is there any drawback to a lighter rifle in terms of shooting and recoil?

wareagle700

wouldn't a sporter contour barrel give a pretty strong POI shift with all of that weight on the end?

As long as the shift is consistent its no big deal. I mark my elevation turret with a paint pen to show the shift so I can hunt with or without my suppressor and not worry about having to shoot to check zero.

wareagle700

Nice rifle! Is it a safe assumption that tactical rifles are suppose to be heavier? Is there any drawback to a lighter rifle in terms of shooting and recoil?

Yeah, tactical rifles will usually have a heavier contour barrel and more robust stock. Heavier rifles are easier to shoot accurately, have less recoil, and the barrels don't heat up as fast. All of that leads to better consistency and precision. Because of that, they are usually associated with being "more accurate" than sporter rifles and mountain rifles.

The lightweight rifle will have more recoil and the barrel will heat up faster. You will likely find it to be less forgiving as far as accuracy goes but much more pleasant to carry hunting.

Jester896

Senior Clown
As long as the shift is consistent its no big deal. I mark my elevation turret with a paint pen to show the shift so I can hunt with or without my suppressor and not worry about having to shoot to check zero.

I know...just hard for me to imagine using a 1.5-1.6" can on a pencil barrel...reminds me of someone tying a string in the tree and sliding the barrel in the loop for support instead of letting it rest on the stock.

He did say he was considering getting into long range shooting and for reasons you gave I mentioned the SPS. On the 16.5" that would give him around 24" of barrel with it on and maybe even balance out similar to a 24" gun since it is over 1#

wouldn't the sporter heat up even faster with the can?

wareagle700

Yeah, a can on the end of a skinny barrel looks a little goofy but still gets the job done if you don't mind the added length and weight. Not something I'd do to all my hunting rifles by any means but it's nice to have when I'm hunting close to a property line (nearby houses) or hunting with my son.

As for the barrel heating up with the suppressor on, I have not noticed any difference between suppressed and unsuppressed. The can gets hot for sure but the barrel doesn't seem to heat up noticeably quicker.

acurasquirrel

Purchased this exact rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor for a western hunt. Total rifle weight with 4-16x scope was 7lbs. Certainly easier to carry when hiking long distances.

Chase4556

Ruger American Predator in 6.5creed.

Cheap- check
Long range- with the right scope and some slight mods to the stock... check
Light- check

For the $400 I spent on my 308 predator, I can't talk highly enough about it. Guys with the 6.5s are throwing the right scope and ring combo on it, and shooting 1000yds. Most take the stock off and add an epoxy or something of the sort to the fore end to stiffen it up, and some add weight to the buttstock and fill it with foam or something to add more weight. Up to you.

For less than $1000 invested, guys have a capable 1000yd gun.

Just sharing my .02

Edit: understand the American is NOT a $700+ rifle... there are some things still left to be desired. You can tell its a $400 rifle with some parts(the stock for one). However, it has a great factory trigger, the action is solid and they shoot great.

sweatequity

I held this rifle in 30-06 yesterday. It felt like a toy gun it was so light! How is the recoil?

I am going to special order it 6.5CR or the Bergara B14 hunter. Cant find either in stock around Atlanta.

deast1988

I got a western hunter xbolt An chopped it to 20ins. Suppressed creedmoor you can hear the bullet whack a deer. I folded one up an others just looked at it didn't spook them at all.

The threads do not work that come on it metric German non standard in US.

I'd get you a tikka CTR in blue find u a .308 shoot 180gr soft points use suppressor enjoy a deer rig that hammers an is fairly quiet.

deers2ward

I held this rifle in 30-06 yesterday. It felt like a toy gun it was so light! How is the recoil?

They definitely recoil more than a 7-8# of the same caliber. You should probably get the 7mm-08 or 6.5CM, and between those two, I would get the 7mm-08......more heavy options in case you want to go out west or up north one day. (160 grain accubond, 175 grain accubond LR). Both flatter shooting than a .308

deast1988

We got a ruger American predator in .308, goin to handload 190gr accubonds for it. Goin to keep on lower end of the charge scale.

Accubonds show expansion fairly slow being a long range bullet that's marketed to expand slower speeds already.

So bigger bullet loaded slower, Suppressed for 150yd or less deer hunting should be fairly quiet. An deliver a solid knockdown impact. Something I'm in process of doing.

Latest posts