Beavers

spencer12

Hello all, did you guys know that beavers eat corn? Not only that but they seem to love corn. I certainly did not.

So apparently I now have a beaver problem in one of my small ponds. Other than shooting them, what is the best way to rid the waters of them?

At the moment I've only seen 5 (from the trail cam pictures), are they prolific breeders? They've been there for about 3 years now, and to begin with I thought there were only 2. I have no idea where they came from as there is no other water within 1/2 mile to a mile.

The only reason I realized there were that many is due to a feed site I have all year long about 20 yds. from the edge of the pond. You should see the beaver slides and trails coming into the corn. It's amazing :bounce:

There is a house or two close by and I do not want to discharge any weapons near the pond. What are my solutions?

sportsman94

Trap them yourself or hire a trapper. Sounds like you could catch them yourself pretty easily if their trails are that well defined

jigman29

We have them in our cornfields every year. They are a pain for sure. If they are using the trails you should be able to set a few traps and get a few before they get smart.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Go light tackle and shoot them..........I know you said you dont want to discharge a firearm, but I'd seriously suggest rethinking that option....got a .22, a bow? access to a crossbow?
A trapper is the obvious way to go..........I suppose:rolleyes:

bckwzlineman

Had a buddy getting pics of them eating around his feeder a few years back. Guess they will eat anything starchy

Possum

Banned
Man I wish I had more of em on my property. From my experiance they usually don't damage high value trees like oak and usually just take small to medium low value trees like maples and poplars. And deer food in the way of browse is the best around the beaver ponds where's the trees are cut. Plus the duck habitat they create is a big plus.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Conibears or footholds in those slides and trails will get them.

swamp hunter

Are you going to use them for something , maybe the Pelts ?
Otherwise just move your feeder a bit. Don't be killin them cause you set up a Snack bar 50 ft' away from their house.

Possum

Banned
Otherwise just move your feeder a bit. Don't be killin them cause you set up a Snack bar 50 ft' away from their house.

Agreed
If the are causing property damage I say a landowner should have right to get rid of them but not just cause they are eating corn meant for deer!

ucfireman

Man I wish I had more of em on my property. From my experiance they usually don't damage high value trees like oak and usually just take small to medium low value trees like maples and poplars. And deer food in the way of browse is the best around the beaver ponds where's the trees are cut. Plus the duck habitat they create is a big plus.

I disagree, the beavers on my place have girdled numerous oaks including one about 18 inches in diameter, now waiting for it to fall. On the other hand the duck pond is a plus.

spencer12

I want to kill them because they have busted the dam in 3 separate spots, dug holes throughout the dam that causes the water to drain outside of the pond, which they then proceeded to dam up. (Beaver logic) and yes, they are now eating the food that I have so graciously placed near their home for the white tailed variety. ;)

I was fine with them being there, I don't want them gone because they are eating my corn, that's a silly reason. I want them gone because the pond was dug by my grandfather nearly 60 years ago and they are destroying it.

At first it was pretty awesome, the little holes they dug let the water "seep" out which then cause the pond to lower, which in turn created a nice little haven for the woodies. But now they are causing irreplaceable damage, so yes I want them gone.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
I want to kill them because they have busted the dam in 3 separate spots, dug holes throughout the dam that causes the water to drain outside of the pond, which they then proceeded to dam up. (Beaver logic) and yes, they are now eating the food that I have so graciously placed near their home for the white tailed variety. ;)

I was fine with them being there, I don't want them gone because they are eating my corn, that's a silly reason. I want them gone because the pond was dug by my grandfather nearly 60 years ago and they are destroying it.

At first it was pretty awesome, the little holes they dug let the water "seep" out which then cause the pond to lower, which in turn created a nice little haven for the woodies. But now they are causing irreplaceable damage, so yes I want them gone.

They will undermine a dam in a heartbeat. As said before get a couple #330 coniber traps and place on trails as they enter the water. These traps kill them quick so make sure no domestic animals can get in them. You could use foothold traps but you'll need to rig them to a drownding cable. A beaver will twist its foot off pretty quick if you stake the trap. Post in the trapping forum. You may get someone to get rid of them for free

bowhunterdavid

If it were not for the beavers some of creeks would have been dry during this drought, I know our deer thanked them, I know they cause damage but during dry spells they help out. some of the only water on our land was where beavers had a dam.

gregj

They are also good to eat. Taste like roast pork.
Had one at a wild game cook once and the guy roasted the whole beaver in a large roaster, with lots of chicken and beef broth to keep it moist. It was delicious.

bulldawgborn

Had one at a wild game cook once and the guy roasted the whole beaver in a large roaster, with lots of chicken and beef broth to keep it moist. It was delicious.

Like a swimming filet mignon

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
I'd cook just about anything. I may try it if someone was to cook some but I ain't.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
Where are you located Spenser. If your close I could help you out. I've got 3 or 4 beaver traps