Deer with 300 Blackout?...

Jester896

Senior Clown
to me the sonic crack from a round moving 2800 fps isn't that bad...I can clearly hear the bullet strike steel 300 yards away 100 even... and it sounds louder to me really than the rifle

Alan in GA

BTW, a 30 cal 220 gr bullet @ 900- 1,000 fps would be more like a 44 mag load wouldn't it? Anyway I don't have the suppressor yet, and will do testing of sub and Super loads and the noise levels produced. At present regular 270 Win rifle has been used but complaints have been called in by residents nearby that don't want the deer killed. LEO shows up, says "no problem" with the deer 'control' shooting, but I guess he has to react to the complaint. I will probably use a crossbow if I decide the travel time/expense is worth it as the airport is several hours away.

Jester896

Senior Clown
that would really be a more accurate comparison. I do think it is better to use a bullet designed for those speeds however and the .44 Mags would be. I might even use SMKs...they probably won't frag at those speeds.

Kanook

Either use some of the sub-sonic expanding ammo for those ranges or a Ruger 77/357 threaded using a 180 XTP loaded to around 1,100 fps will fill the freezer.

Before I had my silencers I would shoot my pellet rifles in my backyard for rat control. After a good cleaning my pellet rifle would give off a good "crack" noise and my neighbours made a comment (they don't care, not a complaint) after I shot a rat early one morning. I showed them how it happened, (again, they don't care). Fast forward to silencer ownership and I was shooting my Ruger M77VT .308 suppressed at a pumpkin. My neighbour said she heard me shooting my pellet rifle.

My point is this, when I shoot silenced and they hear the "crack" they think I am shooting my pellet rifle. When they hear the "boom", they know otherwise. So If I were you I would shoot whatever was legal and works, chances are they will complain anyway. Just think of what they will say if you have to track a deer into one of the backyards.

rosewood

I have used the 125gr Ballistic Tips and you do hear the crack but it is still noticeably quieter with the suppressor than without. I would not hesitate to use the subsonic within 200 yds.

A 200 grain Subsonic zeroed at 100 yards drops almost 3 ft at 200 yards. I hope you plan on using holdover, or you are gonna miss it entirely.

Rosewood

rosewood

NChillbilly,.. what would you suggest for deer at 30-40 yard shot, no sonic crack rifle? These are inside an airport fence in a wooded area. It's possible I could get by with a sonic bullet crack but subsonic would be best.
Hitting them with aircraft has been expensive! (Yes, it has happened).

In a 300 BO, 30-40 yards with the subsonic, double lung should be fine. It is those longer shots when the subsonics become questionable in a hurry.

I would think a subsonic 44mag or 45 colt in the 300 grain range suppressed would be ideal for a situation like this. Heck of a lot more energy and larger meplat while still being subsonic.

Rosewood

GunnSmokeer

I think a .300 Blackout SUBsonic is marginal for deer, and why use a marginal caliber by choice? It's not like this is a survival do-or-die scenario. Be a good sportsman and choose an effective weapon and ammo for a humane kill.

If I wanted to hunt deer with any subsonic ammo in a rifle, I'd limit my range to 100 yards (to ensure head-shot accuracy) and I'd only shoot under ideal conditions. Perfect rest, steady animal, broadside, etc.

P.S. I'd like to see some gun companies come out with big .44 and .45 big-bore rifles (probably lever guns) that are threaded at the muzzle and have fast-twist barrels to stabilize 400-grain bullets.

With .30 bore, you're going to be limited to about 220 grains of weight, and of course the speed of sound limits your velocity to 1050 or so at the muzzle. That's something like 500 foot/lbs. energy. Probably good enough under ideal hunting conditions at pistol-or-bow distances, but...

... but a 420-grain slug driven to the same speed of 1050 will be subsonic while hitting the target with 1000 foot/lbs. energy.