Head Lamp with strobe

dslc6487

I am a 70 year old man that loves to squirrel hunt with my small feists dogs, usually only one at a time, and usually by myself. I know that this is not very smart and have been told by the game warden that I do not need to be hunting by myself. However, being out in the woods hunting the bushy tails with my dogs is the next best thing to heaven to me. I always have my cell phone and leave my wife a map of where I will be. What I am looking for is a light with a head strap that will give out good light and also have a strobe feature. Sometimes it is about dusk when I come out of the woods and need a light and I would like to have my hands free, so I am looking for a head light. Also, God forbid, but if I got sick or hurt and could not get out of the woods, I would like for the light to have a strobe feature so that I can turn it on and just stay where I am in the woods. I carry a loud whistle that I can blow, but I would like for the light to have a strobe feature so that I can turn it on and after dark, I can be located much easier if the light has a strong strobe feature. I don't want anything too heavy, just a light for my head that maybe operates on AA batteries. This might sound stupid to some of my fellow hunters, but I want to improve my chances of being found as much as possible. If any of my fellow hunters out there understand my situation and can recommend a good head light with strobe, I would greatly appreciate it….However, after I take all of these precautions and they find me dead leaning up against an oak tree, with my shotgun in my lap, and my little feist lying beside me, you can rest assured that I died a happy man.

seeker

I purchased a three pack of exactly what you're describing from Costco. They operate on AAA batteries and the cost is twelve dollars. Perhaps you have a Costco membership or know someone who does.

HuntinTom

Retired Moderator
I have the Petzl Tikka XP2 -- I bought it for backpacking use and also use it for hunting - It comes with three white settings Bright, Medium, and strobe), and two red settings (Bright and strobe) - It also has wide lens or spot lens settings (all done with one flip with one hand use).

It uses AAA batteries that last virtually forever, and it only weighs 2.6 oz including the batteries!

Here is a link to give you a better view:

https://jet.com/product/detail/baad...ef8bc3f2cfd1&gclid=CKfZqJbRtskCFYcjgQodPLoLeg

groundhawg

I have the Petzl Tikka XP2 -- I bought it for backpacking use and also use it for hunting - It comes with three white settings Bright, Medium, and strobe), and two red settings (Bright and strobe) - It also has wide lens or spot lens settings (all done with one flip with one hand use).

It uses AAA batteries that last virtually forever, and it only weighs 2.6 oz including the batteries!

Here is a link to give you a better view:

https://jet.com/product/detail/baad...ef8bc3f2cfd1&gclid=CKfZqJbRtskCFYcjgQodPLoLeg

Thanks for sharing. I am going to find a couple of these.

7Mag Hunter

Home Depot has several from 100 lumens and
up.....
They also have small pocket lights (Energizer brand with 250 lumens)
$20.00-$25.00.....

rwh

i have a small handheld 200 or 250 lumen i picked up at barrows that has a strobe. i want to say it was 25 dollars. you aren't that far from me. i can grab you one next time i'm there and if you want company on some of those squirrel hunts i'm always looking for somewhere to go and i have 4 dogs that all need a lot of work this year.

7Mag Hunter

Defiant headlamp has high, low, and strobe....
it is 200 lumens, I think.....Coast has good
non strobe (200 lumen i think)...

chadf

There's a ton of options out there.
Try a few buddy's head lamps or start out cheap.

Wal mart, Home Depot, lowes, any big box sporting goods, or like me, the ones kids get, then leave on and throw in a drawer. I change battery's and have a new light....... I don't like the strap but keeps hands free.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Amazon has over 30 models available. I bought several at $4.97. It has 4 settings including 2 red flashing LEDs. Marked down from $28.

roperdoc

I carry a small light in my pocket at all times. My favorites are a Browning alpha (AA) and a Streamlight (AAA). I use these for work and hunting. They are extremely bright and with the small size batteries I can carry a couple spares and hardly notice them. Both lights have clips and hook on a hat brim perfectly for hands free use.
I also use a Streamlight head lamp, but the small lights are just easier to have with me at all times.

The peace and quiet are worth the risks of hunting alone sometimes.

tim scott

Banned
I don't mean to offend others but these guys are leading you down the primrose path. take their advice and you just might be found dead, frozen from exposure having spent the night cold bleeding out from a broken leg etc. I'm not that far behind you in age and I too like to go out alone. no one else still alive to go out with...... the lights these guys suggest may be fine in your back yard but are mostly just trash when it comes down to something that will hold up and be there when you need it the most. first never combine the two lights.... flashlight and emergency light. that's like using your favorite razor in the kitchen to prepare meals with... it just doesn't work out that well for you. you want a flashlight that is shock proof and waterproof most civilian lights are neither. while not the lightest my 30 year old military issue angle head flashlight is both of those and after all these years of being carried around, banged dropped and abused it has never failed to work when needed.. haven't even broken a bulb (has a spare in the cap) clips on your belt and stays there. for emergency light the military distress markers are the thing to have... they are only the size of a pack of cigarettes, the xenon strobe can be seen for 2 miles or more and depending on model they last for 8 to as much as 50 plus hours of continuous use. shock proof and waterproof. they cost... again depending on model 12.95 to 70 or 80 dollars.... go ask your wife what your life is worth... no maybe she's not the one to ask, might say "not 2 cents" lol
I have often gone out hunting in the afternoon and covered many miles and spent most or all of the night out in the woods or desert... long ago I went to a small light shoulder bag... it carries my lights, waterproof matches, tinder, handful of para cord, space blanket, hunting knife, small hand towel, some hard candy a pack of crackers, treats for the dog and a can of coke..... all the comforts of home so to speak and weights next to nothing.... and gives me all the security I need when off 75 miles from the nearest human and miles from the nearest dirt road. remember when it comes to cost... you get what you pay for. dirt cheap is dead!
best to you and your little dog
tim

tim scott

Banned
I chewed over part of your original post for awhile and it angers me a lot.... that game warden needs to mind his own business... he is so full of what comes out the south end of a horse.... there is nothing wrong with going out by yourself a enjoying time with your dog hunting. it's probably a lot of what has kept you going and able to do it at your age. many not so lucky but then again many older doing the same. keep doing it, likely some of the best times of your life. however be careful and plan for the worst. that way no matter what comes your way... your good to go. I know well your joy of being off with your dog.... mine are both terriers, both little, right at 16 pounds. curly haired one was one of the best coon dog you've ever seen.... he's very lazy, no running around the woods for him. not sure if he smells them or hears them but when a coon gets within a 100 yards he tip toes silently to where he can wait and ambush the coon.... coon gets about 15 feet away and my little guy jumps up and makes with this big dog barking and scares the heck out of the coon... puts them right up the nearest tree.... crazy to watch, but he's treed hundreds of coons... then he got bored I guess, and now his game is the same but when the coon gets really close he tip toes up behind the coon and bites it on the butt and then barks.... so funny to see the coon jump waist high and squell like a baby pig. he's the only dog I've ever seen that could move thru the woods and make no sound at all.... I was blessed with super good night vision and love to go out and just wander by moon light.... amazing the things you can sneak up on and he's the perfect companion for it.
anyway keep going with what your doing. good thing that your starting to think safety, just do it right. and have fun.
best wishes
tim