7mm Mag

mossyoakpro

I have never felt the need for a magnum caliber but that has changed recently so I am acquiring a Remington 700 Sendero in 7 mag in a trade...

Anyone who has this rifle could you please give me a starting point on factory ammo? I am not a reloader yet so it will be shooting factory 100% for now.

I am looking for some range out of this rifle(200+) if that helps.

Thanks in advance!!

Lilly001

I have one in 7mm mag. It's scary accurate, but HEAVY.
I use Rem 150 gr corelocks and easily hold MOA.
With tailored hand loads I have done 1/2 MOA.
I have a Zeiss 4x14 on mine and it seems about right.

glynr329

Is it the ultra mag? Son had the ultra mag best gun I ever shot in my life and I have shot a bunch. Brother ended up with it and will not let me get it from him.

Horns

I have a Ruger in 7 mag with a Simmons Aetec on it. This is a great shooting gun. I shot 150 grain Winchester power point. Deadly

mossyoakpro

Glynr, It is just the 7mm Rem mag...not the Ultra

I am not a big fan of recoil so that is why I decided on the heavy rifle....it was either that or get a lighter rifle and put a brake on it...will be used in a shooting house so I just have to tote it there and sit it down :)

Thanks for the response thus far!!

Louie270WSM

I shot a 7mag for years and with the velocity that it produced I always had better consistent performance with a bonded bullet. After trying several different types I settled on the Remington 150 grain scirocco's or try the 140 grain Barnes TTSX.

glynr329

Believe it or not with the heavier barrel I thought the recoil was not much at all. You will love it

gordylew

I have used a 7mm Mag a fair amount. I find the Hornady 139gr factory load to be very accurate, mild on recoil and the game I have shot with it have not ran over 40 yards.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
When I shot factory I used 150 gr corelokts. No complaints.

rosewood

Georgia Arms 150 Grain BT were always exceptionally accurate in my Savage. Roll my own now though.

Dusty Roads

Been hunting with Weatherby 7mm mag since 1984 after I got I of Navy.....never looked back.
Settled on 140 gr Nosler-PAP
P-H4831-72.5 grains
Sometimes:
120 GBall-Tip-75GR-H4831
~Aim point=4" below the jaw latch dead center neckbone~
Save that meat :)

tcoker

I tried different factory loads when I first got my 7mm mag (Rem. 700 BDL Laminate/SS with a 4.5x14x50 VXIII Leupold). I tested about $200 worth of different factory ammo to find the "one" for my "Wyoming gun". After all my range visits I ended up going with the Federal Fusion in 150gr. I was hoping the bonded bullets would group better because of weight retention. I paid A LOT for a box of sciorroco's but they didn't group well at all out of this particular gun. The Fusion's just grouped tighter more consistently. You didn't mention make and model. Doesn't necessarily mean anything but they all like to eat different ammo.

mossyoakpro

I tried different factory loads when I first got my 7mm mag (Rem. 700 BDL Laminate/SS with a 4.5x14x50 VXIII Leupold). I tested about $200 worth of different factory ammo to find the "one" for my "Wyoming gun". After all my range visits I ended up going with the Federal Fusion in 150gr. I was hoping the bonded bullets would group better because of weight retention. I paid A LOT for a box of sciorroco's but they didn't group well at all out of this particular gun. The Fusion's just grouped tighter more consistently. You didn't mention make and model. Doesn't necessarily mean anything but they all like to eat different ammo.

Remington 700 Sendero...

tcoker

Remington 700 Sendero...

I see that now, sorry. Great gun, btw! I would definitely let it eat some Fusions. It really was a clear favorite in my setup... I probably kept the targets, for comparison purposes for probably 3 years then finally used burned em'.

mossyoakpro

I see that now, sorry. Great gun, btw! I would definitely let it eat some Fusions. It really was a clear favorite in my setup... I probably kept the targets, for comparison purposes for probably 3 years then finally used burned em'.

I will give them a whirl...thanks!!

I have accumulated several different brands and grains to see what it will do with each.

Thanks again!!