7mm mag vs 30.06

menhadenman

On the debate between “which one” - the 7 is going to have flatter trajectory and better BC, giving better hit probability. I own both (and 308, 25-06, and others in that same class). I’d take the 30-06 inside of 300 yds, 7 mag beyond.

Bison Ballistics has some good calculators if you like to obsess over these things.

Truth be told, I’d probably just see what rifle I could find in either caliber and buy it.

fatback

Well, I decided on the .30-06. I was able to get a decent deal on a Ruger M77 with a laminate stock and stainless barrel. I’m going to put a Leupold VX3 3.5-10 on it. Now the search for a good factory loaded ammo will begin to see what the rifle can shoot well. I am a fan of heavy for caliber cartridges so I’m looking at the various 165-180 grain offerings that are available. I’ve got some 180 grain Remington Corlocks, Hornandy Deer season 180, Federal Premium 175 grain Terminal Ascents. Anybody have any other suggestions for factory loaded ammo? Thanks

GunnSmokeer

One day I think I'll buy another "magnum"
big game hunting rifle, but this time instead of focusing on extreme long range performance I'll look at something that throws heavy bullets and knocks the heck out of reactive targets at less than 300 yards.

Maybe a .338 bore magnum.

Just to say I have only one and used one, even though I have no real practical purpose for it. I certainly don't "need" it.

Tight Lines

big game hunting rifle, but this time instead of focusing on extreme long range performance I'll look at something that throws heavy bullets and knocks the heck out of reactive targets at less than 300 yards.

Just to say I have only one and used one, even though I have no real practical purpose for it. I certainly don't "need" it.
I bought a .338 Win Mag a few years ago for that reason...don't "need" it but I "wanted" it!

furtaker

You can never go wrong with the 30-06.

I guess I got lucky with my 700 because it loves factory 165 CoreLokts. I don't always get an exit but the deer usually fall within sight. They're not a sexy bullet in today's world but I bet they kill as quick as anything out there and probably quicker than most of these fancy new bullets.

fatback

I have a 375 H&H that fills that role for me. I will hunt in Africa with it as well but I killed a couple of deer and pigs with it last season here at home. It’s shooting a 300 grain bullet about 2400 feet/second at the muzzle. It’s a heavy rifle so the recoil isn’t terrible and it is super accurate. It is a Winchester M70.

Jester896

Senior Clown
375 H&H is another thing I have rounds loaded for...as soon as I finish trying to find a 300 SAUM and a 300 Ultra Mag I'll start looking for one. I might be doing that backwards since I have more rounds for the H&H.

somebody on GON told me to get the rounds before the rifle...I'm second guessing that advice now

fatback

375 H&H is another thing I have rounds loaded for...as soon as I finish trying to find a 300 SAUM and a 300 Ultra Mag I'll start looking for one. I might be doing that backwards since I have more rounds for the H&H.

somebody on GON told me to get the rounds before the rifle...I'm second guessing that advice now
What rounds do you have for the 375?

GregoryB.

I did the same thing with a 300 H&H. I have brass, bullets and does for it. Ruger had a #1 B cataloged for sale through Lipsey’s . I called and confirmed they had it in stock. Had my dealer order it and a #1 S came in. Not what I wanted so I sent it back. Listing soon disappeared for Lipsey’s website.

Big7

The Oracle
I bought a .338 Win Mag a few years ago for that reason...don't "need" it but I "wanted" it!
I bought a Ruger M77MII in 338 Win years ago supposedly to split a trip out west with 2 friends that never happened.

Didn't need it anyway because I had the trusty Big7 but just wanted a 338 because I had more money than sense.

It sat in the safe for about 10 years and never even mounted a scope. Sold it for about break even but wish I'd sat on it because they are sky high now.

For some reason I had to have a wood/blue JP Sauer Classic 100 in 300 Win Mag and it's been sitting in the safe for a year and a half. Never been fired.