7mm mag vs 30.06

HughW2

Here’s a grouping I did on common deer calibers a few years ago. Shows which ones are most similar based on trajectory, energy, bullet weight, BC, and recoil.

Pretty much what anyone would guess and also goes to show that we’re mostly splitting hairs on the debate. The 25-06 drops animals just as quick as ones I’ve shot with 300 WSM.

View attachment 1222676
Menhadenman,
Great graph; I would say .270 Win and .30-06 need to be flipped .270 green and 30-06 blue. But otherwise very accurate.

menhadenman

Menhadenman,
Great graph; I would say .270 Win and .30-06 need to be flipped .270 green and 30-06 blue. But otherwise very accurate.
Thanks @HughW2 - Actually I ain’t that smart… computer made it based on numbers :) - cluster analysis.

My guess is bullet weight and flatter trajectory is what grouped the 270 and 284s.

But your point is right on, a lot of heated debates have been had over marginal differences (like 0.024” or 150 fps). I’m guilty as the rest.

I killed a couple really nice mule deer out to 350 yds with one shot out of my 25-06 with 117 SSTs before I learned that’s not enough
:rofl:

menhadenman

Menhadenman,
Oh yeah, you’ll also see that green and blue are closer to each other than they are vs either of the other two. Definitely think green/blue groups are more or less interchangeable all the way up to elk.

sleepr71

Either will do the job,out to farther than 99% of us can shoot accurately! I’ve had both..they both recoil about the same. Stock shape & recoil pad make a big difference in felt recoil..to me. I can shoot my Sako 7mm, with Monte Carlo style stock & good recoil pad 5 times,with a t-shirt on. After 5,I want a break. I’ve also found that 140gr projectiles recoil less than 160’s :)

Last edited:

killerv

And you're not really gaining anything by shooting the 3.5s. The 3.5 buckshot loads give you more pellets, but the 2.75 and 3 inch actually have higher fps. A lot higher in some cases.

I don't see more pellets at less velocity a good trade off for 20 more foot pounds of recoil.

They're cool and all but I'm not convinced they're worth it.
More pellets of TSS for a turkey, yes please.....

Regarding 7 MM vs 06, I own both but use 270 WSM mostly for deer. With respect to Africa , been twice for Plains Game and took a 300Win Mag , everything DRT with one shot except for a Gemsbok and that a shot placement issue .
If I go back to Africa for PG will take my 308, it will get the job done with less recoil . Todays bullet designs also help.

GunnSmokeer

several years ago I bought a Savage 10 in 7mm Rem Mag, just to say I had a magnum rifle(!) I never hunted with it, but did test shooting it at buckets of water and stacks of newspaper or old magazines at 200 yards.

I found it to be indistinguishable from the .308 and .30-06 rifles I'd owned for decades. So I eventiually sold off the 7mm

Dub

several years ago I bought a Savage 10 in 7mm Rem Mag, just to say I had a magnum rifle(!) I never hunted with it, but did test shooting it at buckets of water and stacks of newspaper or old magazines at 200 yards.

I found it to be indistinguishable from the .308 and .30-06 rifles I'd owned for decades. So I eventiually sold off the 7mm

Savage 10 or 110 ?

rosewood

My 110 7mag police tactical is absolutely the most accurate rifle I own. Shoots sub 1/2 Moa every time I have took it to the range. Was the 2nd rifle I ever bought after my enfield .303. Will never let it go. Didn't own a 30-06 until about 2015 which was also a savage 110.

Reactions: Dub

HughW2

Regarding 7 MM vs 06, I own both but use 270 WSM mostly for deer. With respect to Africa , been twice for Plains Game and took a 300Win Mag , everything DRT with one shot except for a Gemsbok and that a shot placement issue .
If I go back to Africa for PG will take my 308, it will get the job done with less recoil . Todays bullet designs also help.
To UEGs point,

When I went to Zimbabwe for plains game I took a .375 H&H because I thought it was what was needed. My guide was a former SAS trooper during the bush wars. He said that for plains game all you need is a .308 until you get to eland, buff or elephant. Back in the 60s and 70s when all Rhodesians were trying to run farms the kudu were considered pests because of what they did to crops. They used FN FALs in .308 to night hunt kudu on crop depredation hunts and fed all of their hired hands. A .308 with good bullets is all you need for a lot of medium to large game.

Jester896

Senior Clown
@Dub kinda missing that Baby Doll now that we are playing with 44s...glad I still have 1...but I sure like that Dasher too.

man that 700 has some good looking wood...bring it by and we will swap out that trigger.

chase870

Possum Sox
My Grandfather told me a 30.06 with the proper bullets will kill any game animal on the North American continent. He also told me it was plenty of gun if I did my part, and the maximum effective range of a shot gun is 40 yards or so and the hype of 3 and 3.5 inch shells is a marketing ploy of the ammo companies for the most part. Full disclosure I do shoot 2 Oz. of #5's in a 3 inch load however, I have killed plenty of Turkeys with a 2 3/4 inch shell and a 1.5 load of shot

rosewood

actually I have been kinda eyeing a 30-06. It was one of Mike's rifles that John Whiddon built for him on a trued 700 action....dang thing is 1.230...all 28 or 30" of it
The 1st 30-06 I bought, I rebarreled it to a .260. Then I bought a rem 700 in 3006 so I had a remington and an 06. As i think every American should own an 06. Then I found a super deal on a savage 116 in 3006 and then traded my rem 700 06 for the same in .223. So I still have 1 rem and a 06. Then inherited an ABolt in 06, so I have 2 in safe now. At this point I have only killed 2 deer with 06, savage 110 and 116. Never killed a deer with the 7mag. Too heavy for woods carry. Although i dream of killing an elk at 500 yds with a 7mag.

Rosewood