7mm mag vs 30.06

Robert28

I agree, shot a light weight synthetic mountain rifle in 270 for years, a lot of kick when on the bench. Tried the 257wby, 3006, ....I've now fallen in love with the 260 and 708, I'll never shoot anything with more recoil unless I just take one out for nostalgia sake.
Same. People laugh at me but I WANT a heavy rifle. That’s why I bought my Bergara in 308. I’ve owned those lightweight rifles that kick and no thank you on that anymore. 308 is about as high as I want to go anymore as far as caliber goes.

Robert28

a .308 will beat you up pretty good in a heavy rifle if you shoot 50-60 rounds in a day too.
Oh yeah definitely. I usually shoot 5-10 rounds before deer season starts then I’ll shoot it a couple times in the off-season. I had a Browning x-bolt (whatever their lightweight model is called) in 30-06 and you didn’t want to shoot that more than 5 times.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I think my 700P weighs in at 17# and it will leave a yellow mark on my shoulder after that many rounds. I mainly shoot it prone.

Reactions: Dub

Dub

a .308 will beat you up pretty good in a heavy rifle if you shoot 50-60 rounds in a day too.

First time I took my 16 1/4 " barreled MIA out I shot the mess out of if.
Was having some serious fun.
The thing weighs around 9lbs with the scout scope.
Fairly heavy gun that is smooth shooting......yet the next day I noticed some "whimpy" shoulder feels.

I guess the steel butt piece transfers what little recoil there is right on into the shoulder.

Heck....I've had some high round count range days shooting 55gr loads from a 6lb AR-15 and had that whimpy shoulder thing the next day. :rofl: Similar results from hard/firm plastic butt stock at shoulder contact.

I love the feels, though. Lets me know I had fun.

Robert28

I think my 700P weighs in at 17# and it will leave a yellow mark on my shoulder after that many rounds. I mainly shoot it prone.
My ideal weight for a hunting rifle is 8-9 lbs with scope. Without scope I wanna be in that 7-8 lb range. Bergara’s recoil pad isn’t the greatest but it’s suitable. It’s definitely not the worst I’ve ever had. Their comb height on their stock is perfect for me too.

rmp

I’m in the camp that says, if you’re going to buy, buy something smaller. Your selection on calibers is fine but I’d find something with a smaller case.
The 270 or 300 win will do anything you want to do with bullet construction fitting the task at hand and good placement on game.
I ran the gamut on 7’s from 7mm-08 up through the STW. Most are gone now and not due to ineffectiveness . Just no need for a mag IMO. On the 30’s, I started and finished with a 308. I’ve taken more game with one .308 rifle than all the others combined. If forced to put a number on it, I’d bet I’m north of 1700 rounds through it. It just works and inexpensive to shoot.
2C02AD5E-0BC1-40EE-857B-A28987FB58A2.jpeg

The stock on this fits me well. The barrel gets smokin hot and in need of a cool down before I get fatigued. It will punish you prone. I like off hand, kneeling, or MPAJ.
On recoil, to the guy that says recoil doesn’t bother him, ask how many barrels he’s shot out. ;)

Dub

I’m in the camp that says, if you’re going to buy, buy something smaller. Your selection on calibers is fine but I’d find something with a smaller case.
The 270 or 300 win will do anything you want to do with bullet construction fitting the task at hand and good placement on game.
I ran the gamut on 7’s from 7mm-08 up through the STW. Most are gone now and not due to ineffectiveness . Just no need for a mag IMO. On the 30’s, I started and finished with a 308. I’ve taken more game with one .308 rifle than all the others combined. If forced to put a number on it, I’d bet I’m north of 1700 rounds through it. It just works and inexpensive to shoot.
View attachment 1222358

The stock on this fits me well. The barrel gets smokin hot and in need of a cool down before I get fatigued. It will punish you prone. I like off hand, kneeling, or MPAJ.
On recoil, to the guy that says recoil doesn’t bother him, ask how many barrels he’s shot out. ;)

Well said. (y)

I had to look at that pic a couple times....then let it sink in.
Scoped weight....very impressive.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Wilson Combat comes out with after buying Ultralight Arms.

rmp

Well said. (y)

I had to look at that pic a couple times....then let it sink in.
Scoped weight....very impressive.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Wilson Combat comes out with after buying Ultralight Arms.
Sorry Dub. Not the best photo with another barrel in the way. I need to do some cleanup this weekend.

Same! I’ve a friend that got one of the last NULA’s built by Melvin.

In my opinion. I owned a 7mm mag and it was costly to shoot and kicked me like a mule .I don’t do well with recoil. My experience wit the 3006 started when I was 15. My father first bought me a 1917 eddystone enfield which had been some what sporterized . When I was16 I got a Remington 742 in 3006 . A year later I was at Fort Bragg with a M14. The next time I fired a 3006 was in Vietnam. Fired an M1 and a BAR. After I got back from the Far east . I bought another 742 and later a BAR hunting rifle . Killed a bunch of deer and hogs with the 3006. Now I shoot a Howa 1500 in 3006 . Now I have killed tons of deer with a 308 and a 270. Loved booth but you can not take away from the fact that the 3006 was developed to break up horse Cavalry charges in the distant past. Two world wars , Korea and Vietnam. Yes allot of RVN soldiers carried the M1 Garand . Allot of Browning BARs and Crew served Browning machine guns in 3006 were also used in The World wars Korea and RVN. Keep your 7MM . I stick with the proven round. Anything larger in Georgia or for that matter the South east is way overkill and that’s what I think.

Dub

Sorry Dub. Not the best photo with another barrel in the way. I need to do some cleanup this weekend.

Same! I’ve a friend that got one of the last NULA’s built by Melvin.

No...no....your picture is super clear.

I simply had to let the numbers register in my brain.

That is mighty impressive for a scoped rifle. Mighty, mighty impressive.

rmp

In my opinion. I owned a 7mm mag and it was costly to shoot and kicked me like a mule .I don’t do well with recoil. My experience wit the 3006 started when I was 15. My father first bought me a 1917 eddystone enfield which had been some what sporterized . When I was16 I got a Remington 742 in 3006 . A year later I was at Fort Bragg with a M14. The next time I fired a 3006 was in Vietnam. Fired an M1 and a BAR. After I got back from the Far east . I bought another 742 and later a BAR hunting rifle . Killed a bunch of deer and hogs with the 3006. Now I shoot a Howa 1500 in 3006 . Now I have killed tons of deer with a 308 and a 270. Loved booth but you can not take away from the fact that the 3006 was developed to break up horse Cavalry charges in the distant past. Two world wars , Korea and Vietnam. Yes allot of RVN soldiers carried the M1 Garand . Allot of Browning BARs and Crew served Browning machine guns in 3006 were also used in The World wars Korea and RVN. Keep your 7MM . I stick with the proven round. Anything larger in Georgia or for that matter the South east is way overkill and that’s what I think.
Thank you for your service.

Bobby Bigtime

The moment recoil is on your mind your shot will be effected by it, some folks are more sensitive to it than others. An old gentleman explained how to deal with it when he saw me flinching at a range one day many moons ago. Hard rock mining ⛏️ for years resulted in having to have basically my arms cut off and sewed back on. Carrying heavy rifles in the field are over for me. I am no effected by recoil until like many of you I get home and have a case of ( like dub says?) Wimp shoulder. Tis a good feeling

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Just bought 30-06 because ammo availability and versatility of cartridges. My best friend took a 300 mag and 30-06 to Africa. The 300 mag's scope broke. He killed everything with the '06 and all with one shot.
Teddy Roosevelt and his son killed about everything in Africa with an '06, from lions and buffalo to elephants and rhino. It's still about impossible to beat a 30-06 as an all-around big game rifle.

Dub

I've never understood the reputation the 7RM has about recoil. I've never thought they kicked that badly. I can tell very little if any difference between it and the 06. Neither one is a light kicker but they aren't that bad.

I agree.

’06 & 7mag have always felt similar to me.

I guess that is why the .270 appealed so much to me early on…….and continues to.

I respect ‘em all.

One cartridge that has always amazed me with out of the box accuracy using plain Jane wallmart ammo (before wokeness) is the .300 WinMag.

I can’t remember ever shooting one that didn’t group extremely well.

I can’t explain it. I am not a great shooter. It does recoil fairly stoutly….to me, anyway. Belted cartridge and whatever issues that may or may not present…

I simply can’t explain the accuracy. I am talking about $250 rifles on up.…. Not custom stuff.

Trend has shown often enough over the years.

Funny thing is I just never warmed up to using one for long, but remain in mild awe of it.

I hope our kids, their kids and future generations will have fun shooting memories. I worry about their freedoms to enjoy hunting, shooting sports and just good ole pinking.

Hopefully they will have cartridge debates over the virtues of the same ones we think of as classics, too.