7mm mag vs 30.06

Robert28

You might come across a great deal on a used rifle chambered in 7mag. Seems like every time I’m at a gun show or browsing classified adds I’ll see a rifle and think “oh wow that’s a good deal! Aw dang, it’s a 7mag”.

• Haha
Reactions: rmp

Jester896

Senior Clown
I sold my Ruger M77MKII in 7mm RM after 2 hunts with it. I sold the Sendero I replace it with after 1 hunt and less than 50 rounds fired.

don't have a .30-06 either

bighonkinjeep

Anything with a .308 bore is going to have the widest selection of components therefore the widest selection of possible loads available. This being said a short action like the .308 might be a good option to consider. After several "shortages" over the decades it seems to always have decent availability. Plenty of big boy performance even in a more compact great handling rifle when compared to magnum and standard long action options.
Just something to consider...

Sounds like you have African plains covered with the win mag already.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I don't have any love for a 7mag. I owned one years ago, but wasn't reloading at that time. The cost of the factory ammo vs 30-06 was shocking. And the muzzle blast was unpleasant. It would never do anything that my 30-06 couldn't do, and for less $$ and less muzzle blast. The 06 was just a more enjoyable gun to shoot.

I have a M70 featherweight in .243W. Love the gun, the round... not so much

NCMTNHunter

If I were in the market for something 7mm maggish I would would look at a 7mm PRC. It will do anything a 7mm rem mag will do plus some stuff the old rem mag won’t.

• Love
Reactions: Dub

menhadenman

If I were in the market for something 7mm maggish I would would look at a 7mm PRC. It will do anything a 7mm rem mag will do plus some stuff the old rem mag won’t.
Maybe… my 7 RM will run circles around the standard PRC stuff but I hand load. The issues I see with the PRC are (1) ammo cost, (2) ammo availability, and (3) being at the bottom of the barrel in a fad and not lasting.

Remember the 325 WSM and 25 WSSM? I have two friends that bought right as the short mag fad transitions to the high BC/fast twist fad.

On the other hand I’m a big fan of get whatever you want. Here is a purchase guide that may help you in your decision. :rofl:

F3473354-787B-4B45-B7D4-63A586EBEB5E.jpeg

Last edited:

WishboneW

Maybe… my 7 RM will run circles around the standard PRC stuff but I hand load. The issues I see with the PRC are (1) ammo cost, (2) ammo availability, and (3) being at the bottom of the barrel in a fad and not lasting.

Remember the 325 WSM and 25 WSSM? I have two friends that bought right as the short mag fad transitions to the high BC/fast twist fad.

On the other hand I’m a big fan of get whatever you want. Here is a purchase guide that may help you in your decision. :rofl:

View attachment 1222072
I will take the older model with all the cash!

Remember, NET WORTH!

Robert28

View attachment 1222072
6.5 creedmoor is not accurate. You need a pic of a guy with a man bun.

Darkhorse

The old 7mm Remington magnum is one of my all time favorite cartridges. I don't need a PRC, just my old 7 mag. And when I need more power I will just use my 300 Winchester magnum.
The 30 '06 is fine but I just don't need one.

Bobby Bigtime

I have owned both and they are viable choices. The 30-06 will cover a wider range of applications if you are a handloader as it is more forgiving in bullet weights and works with a wider range of powders. There is nothing you can't fix with a well placed bullet from a 30-06. Velocity doesn't kill anything shot placement does. All the cartridges you mentioned tip game over the same. I think briar patch is right, based on what you have you should go with something smaller.