7mm mag vs 30.06

fatback

Just curious for those that have shot both cartridges how they compare against one another? I am pondering a new rifle and these are 2 of the candidates I’m looking at. I’ve got a 270 win and a 300 win mag. So I don’t really need a new rifle but ya know how it is. Would be used on deer and pigs her in GA and possibly mule deer and elk out west. Maybe even African plains game at some point. Thoughts?

Aslong as you hit the vitals it don’t matter if you shoot a deer with a 22-250. Having said that,I have shot both rounds you mentioned and I prefer the 7mag only because 7 is my favorite number.. both are fine founds and are more than enough to kill most animals in North America. 7 mag has alittle more recoil and power. It’s really a matter of what you want

Big7

The Oracle
I vote for the 7MM Remington Magnum. It's flatter and more powerful and about the same recoil.

On average, the 7mm Rem Mag rounds show 300 more FPS velocity than the . 30-06 rounds out to 300 yards and nearly 400 extra fps on average than the . 30-06 rounds at 400 and 500 yards showing that they maintain their velocities at a better rate than the . 30-06 rounds.

furtaker

Well, the 7RM has the advantage of some very high BC bullets and will generally have a flatter trajectory than the '06, and usually a bit more energy. But the 06 has more frontal diameter and generally more bullet weight in factory loads. Not really much difference in them for hunting in Georgia.

The 7RM probably has a bit more recoil but they are similar. The 7 definitely has more muzzle blast.

I have both and I hunt with my '06 more but I like both and you can't go wrong with either. My 7RM has a 26 inch barrel which is a little aggravating on a hunting rifle.

ryanh487

I would be taking the .300 mag to Africa myself. I would add either the '06 or a .308 to the safe for hogs and deer. Especially if you can find a semi auto .308.

HughW2

I tip the hat to the 7mm RM; but agree that the differences in killing power from .270 to 7mm RM is negligible. The big factor as we all know is putting the bullet In the right spot.

7 mags do require more barrel and weight a little more. As noted above 7 mags have more report and little more barrel lift during recoil.

Last edited:

deers2ward

Your 300 win can be loaded down to 30-06 levels, but you can't load a 30-06 to 300 win mag levels.

If I were you I would get a 280 AI if you handload, and a 7mm rem if you don't. The 7mm mag was designed specifically to kill elk at 500 yards:

fatback

Thanks for the input. I’ve taken the 300 win mag all over the place, including Africa over the last 20 years and it has met every need I’ve had and preformed great. I am sure it will do great again if/when I take it back.

I know the rifles I have can do everything I need a rifle to do so I certainly don’t “need” a new rifle but have really enjoyed a Winchester Model 70(first one I’ve ever owned) I bought last year and am looking to add a couple more to my safe and these are just 2 of the cartridges I’m considering. Thanks for the input.

menhadenman

I have a couple of both but really like the newer 7 RM X Bolt HCS. It’s got a 26” barrel with 1/8 twist. I can easily/safely get 180 grain bullets over 3,000 fps. I get the 168 VLDs over 3,200. Guys complain about muzzle brakes but I don’t find them to be an issue.

Only shot one critter with it (nice antelope buck), but he did a backflip swan dive like he was struck by lightening.

Here’s the 7 mag and ‘06 I’d buy today: Xbolt Speed or Tikka stainless Veil.

35 Whelen

"The 7mm Remington Magnum is a fine cartridge. Theoretically it should have a little more killing power than the 270. It uses heavier bullets at somewhat higher velocity, but if there is any practical difference I have not seen it."
Jack O'Connor

Lilly001

I would focus more on the rifle.
After picking a rifle I like I would choose from the available cartridges.
I have both, 7rm in a 26” Oncore and a 30-06 in a 24” m70.
Both are proven killers.