Reloading 45/70

Peapicker

Hey Guys,
Let me start by saying that I am 100% new to rifle reloading. I honestly haven't even bought any equipment yet. I am just toying with the idea. With that said, I am thinking about buying some of the Hornady 325gr. LEVERevolution ammo for a longer range 45/70 round for deer hunting, and then reloading that brass with a 405gr. hard cast lead bullet for shooting hogs and such in a brush gun scenario. I realize that the hornady brass is shorter than all other cartridges. Is this going to be a problem? As long as I have my adjustments correct I should be still able to get a good bullet seat. Any problems with pressure? Thoughts/suggestions?

Jester896

Senior Clown
the seating stem that comes with the RCBS dies is designed for the flat nosed bullet so you won't have any issues seating those. you will need to get the one from them for the FTX bullet. They sent it to me at no cost. The crimp feature in the die is set up for the longer standard case. you will need to get an FTX crimp die for the shorter cases or cut the bottom of you die to accommodate both length cases. That is the route I took ,but I have access to a lathe and someone that can use it.

I don't think I would mix the cases as you describe.

660griz

Let me say from personal experience, the 325 gr. Hornady round is a great brush buster.

jmoser

Get the
Lee Factory Crimp Die; seat the lead bullets so the crimp groove is at the case mouth and crimp deep. You will be fine.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Get the
Lee Factory Crimp Die; seat the lead bullets so the crimp groove is at the case mouth and crimp deep. You will be fine.

I agree, but he said he was just starting to reload.
Not even sure he understands crimp deep or a heavy crimp at this point. :D I thought it might be easier to keep the cases separate until he progress farther along.

The Lee Factory Crimp die is a good one. It may be better feeding wise with a roll crimp. Redding also makes a Profile Crimp die specifically for the FTX bullet in those cases...just twice as much.

Nimrod71

By all means reload the 45-70. I have been reloading them for over 40 years and I love them. You can make a rabbit load or a bear load. I like Sierra 300's on IMR 4198.

rosewood

You will save a ton of money if you shoot a lot in the 45-70. Factory fodder is expensive...