Drilling for oil off our coast.....

LittleDrummerBoy

If there is oil in a spot, I think wisdom is to allow it to be recovered and used.

Being a Louisiana native, I have also seen how oil rigs serve as artificial reefs both concentrating and increasing the production of numerous species of fish.

GeorgiaBob

I am not opposed to coastal drilling - BUT - there is little chance of any successful drilling anywhere near us off the Georgia coast. The "dry holes" from drilling decades ago, were not just bad luck. Any "in ground reserves" off Georgia would more likely be near or east of the Gulf Stream. That puts the nearest likely oil more than 40 miles from the coast. The most likely chance, still a low percentage, for oil near Georgia is 80 to 150 miles east of the coast where the continental shelf begins to fall toward the approaches to the really deep water. That puts the only reasonable oil exploration in international waters along the eastern portions of our "economic exclusion zone" and in the middle of the most likely path of about 20% of ALL Atlantic hurricanes. Politically, and economically, not an ideal place to drill!

Since there are numerous other factors limiting the likelihood of Georgia coastal drilling, I seriously doubt it will be a concern.

doenightmare

Gone But Not Forgotten
If there is earl out there - go fetch it.

Scallen2112

Yeah, not really anything to drill FOR out here, but i sure would love to have to rigs to fish around. They are absolute fish magnets out in the gulf.

Down4Count

Drill baby Drill. I live on the saltwater, in the water every weekend during the summer. You have to give a little to get a little.

jdgator

I am not opposed to coastal drilling - BUT - there is little chance of any successful drilling anywhere near us off the Georgia coast. The "dry holes" from drilling decades ago, were not just bad luck. Any "in ground reserves" off Georgia would more likely be near or east of the Gulf Stream. That puts the nearest likely oil more than 40 miles from the coast. The most likely chance, still a low percentage, for oil near Georgia is 80 to 150 miles east of the coast where the continental shelf begins to fall toward the approaches to the really deep water. That puts the only reasonable oil exploration in international waters along the eastern portions of our "economic exclusion zone" and in the middle of the most likely path of about 20% of ALL Atlantic hurricanes. Politically, and economically, not an ideal place to drill!

Since there are numerous other factors limiting the likelihood of Georgia coastal drilling, I seriously doubt it will be a concern.

agreed.