New plots

Last Minute

So we are planning on adding adding some new plots on our club. We pulled soil samples and are planning on liming soon but have some questions for the guru's. When I spread the lime should I work it in? If I work the soil should I plant something at that time to help protect the soil? I'm new to planting plots and wanna get rolling soon.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Spread lime when the truck can get in there and not cause too much compaction. Work it in to the top 4" of soil. Subsoil when and if you can.

Always try to have something growing in your food plots year round. At minimum plant some spring oats.

Attachments

• Top 10 Liming Questions.JPG
    Top 10 Liming Questions.JPG
    184.8 KB · Views: 267
  • Top 10 Liming Questions2.JPG
    Top 10 Liming Questions2.JPG
    159.1 KB · Views: 268
  • Top 10 liming questions3.JPG
    Top 10 liming questions3.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 267

Canuck5

You can see what might work for you, with a low ph ..... just some other things to consider, to get something green growing.

Attachments

• PH rates.JPG
    PH rates.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 263

Last Minute

Thanks for the help..I appreciate it! I got 12 soil samples and most were 5.5 to 6.0 and my lowest ph is 4.7 on a loading deck...no wonder the guys before me said they never could get anything to grow there lol. Spring oats sound good...do you think I could get away with planting them in the next few weeks or wait for the ground temps to warm up?

Canuck5

Thanks for the help..I appreciate it! I got 12 soil samples and most were 5.5 to 6.0 and my lowest ph is 4.7 on a loading deck...no wonder the guys before me said they never could get anything to grow there lol. Spring oats sound good...do you think I could get away with planting them in the next few weeks or wait for the ground temps to warm up?

Oats (any kind) will germinate when the soil temps are above 38 degrees. Some of the coldest days I ever remember, were planting oats in the spring! :bounce:

Last Minute

So I'm thinking when I start I should spray the plots with glyposate before hand...then spread the lime and work it in.. after that should I wait a few days and spray again then plant the oats? How would you go about it? My main concern is getting everything right for my fall planting

Canuck5

Last minute, You are just around the corner from Canuck5 and me.Let me know when you are working and we can meet up

He's just around the corner from us?? Man!!!! We need to organize a get together, one of these days!

Canuck5

So I'm thinking when I start I should spray the plots with glyposate before hand...then spread the lime and work it in.. after that should I wait a few days and spray again then plant the oats? How would you go about it? My main concern is getting everything right for my fall planting

I'd spread the lime, then get it worked in the soil and plant your oats. Let the weeds grow too, since they will help break up the soil and pull some nutrients up from lower levels. Just don't let the weeds go to seed. Bush hog or spray later on, to control them. Oats will be dead in July and you can work all that organic matter into the soil and start prepping for your fall plots.

Weeds (which I do hate) aren't all bad ....

Canuck5

Just a side note, but I have had success with alyce clover (not a true clover) in "new" food plots.

Canuck5

I think he is over by Hugh Olivers house.Ya'll probably killed some of the deer he was hunting also.:bounce:

Ssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhh

Canuck5

We're off of Po Biddy

Canuck5

By Dennis Creek?

Canuck5

LOL, we have 138 acres across from the Delta Club, on Poplar Trace ..... the Delta club might have had that property 5 or so years ago!

Last Minute

There are 2 ways to kill the weeds.Either spray, wait a few weeks and spray again..rinse and repeat...... or plow, wait a few weeks and plow again...rinse and repeat as nessesary.
Once I established a perennial clover patch,I bushhog and spray a few times per year and I am done. I do overseed every year with clover and occassionaly wheat.Repeated plowing of food plots are for people that have have more time and money than I do. I would rather hang out with friends,go fishing or hunting than be installing a food plot.

Ideally I'd like to work on establishing some perennial clover. Once I get the lime down in the coming weeks do you think I might be able to start on it this year or would I be better with a mix of annual clovers and grains to start?

Last Minute

LOL, we have 138 acres across from the Delta Club, on Poplar Trace ..... the Delta club might have had that property 5 or so years ago!

Haha wow so you are right across the street too lol. A reverend from Thomaston used to have this place...he told me he had it for 47 years