outside faucet frozen?

oldfella1962

A few minutes ago I just remembered with as cold as it is, I better let my outside faucets/spickets or whatever you might call them run at a trickle to keep them from freezing. South facing faucet no problem. North facing side of the house, the knob won't turn - I'm assuming it's frozen up. So now what? Is the damage already done? Do I wait until it gets above freezing (hopefully sometime tomorrow) and try it again?
How do I know if a pipe is damaged? We've been living in the house for about fourteen years now and this has never happened - I'm sure over the years I have forgotten to let it trickle on a few nights but nothing was ever damaged.
Any advice on how I should handle this?

Damage probably not done yet. I would take a hair dryer out there and try to thaw it now. Might not be above freezing long enough tomorrow to thaw it out. If damaged it will be obvious when it thaws

3ringer

Probably not Frozen. It may be seized from corrosion . Spray it with WD 40 and let it sit. Later try again.

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
Pour warm water on the spiggot, then ease open.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
wrap it in a towel and pour boiling water on it. let it sit for a few minutes and it should turn if it is frozen

oldfella1962

Damage probably not done yet. I would take a hair dryer out there and try to thaw it now. Might not be above freezing long enough tomorrow to thaw it out. If damaged it will be obvious when it thaws

I used a blow dryer on it - within about a minute I could turn the handle, and in about another minute the water started flowing. I guess only the first inch or two was frozen up. I'm letting it run at a pretty good trickle for the rest of the night.
I can't believe I forgot to do this now that winter is upon us! :huh::huh:

Artfuldodger

I always put those foam insulators over my hose bibbs. My pool is froze over. I should go start the pump.

Last edited:

Artfuldodger

I always put those foam insulators over my faucets. My pool is froze over. I should go start the pump.

It wouldn't start so I threw a blanket over it. It wasn't froze up as I could turn the shaft with pliers.
When I came back in 68 degrees felt warm.

Killdee

Do you not have stops in the basement or crawl space to turn off your outside hose bibs?

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Do you not have stops in the basement or crawl space to turn off your outside hose bibs?

X2, turn off then drain.

I've always just covered mine and never had an issue though. Although I had a brick home and crawl stayed relatively warm with vents closed throughout Winter.

T-N-T

Do the styrofoam covers do any good on hose bibs?
I always let trickle.

I have actually seen brass hose bibs freeze for days and then thaw without harm. But I know that's a terrible risk

Killdee

Mom used to wrap ours with a leg off of wore out blue jeans or flannel then put a coffee can over it. We didn’t have shut offs in our old house.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I use the 12 inch frost proof faucets. the water is back under the house and not exposed to the weather, so it really has to be cold to freeze

Artfuldodger

X2, turn off then drain.

I've always just covered mine and never had an issue though. Although I had a brick home and crawl stayed relatively warm with vents closed throughout Winter.

Maybe the crawl space heat transfers through the pipe a bit to the faucet which is covered with insulation. My crawl space vents are plugged in the winter. It is fairly warm under there. I'm sure this helps keep the faucets from freezing with their insulation.

I guess a house on a slab would provide some heat transfer from the house heat along the pipes to the faucets.

Artfuldodger

My above ground pool piping didn't fair so well. The pipe leaving the filter to the pool froze and busted into PVC slivers. I couldn't get the pump to come on as I normally run the pump when it gets below freezing.
The pump is OK so today I wrapped one of those heat wires around it. I insulated the rest of the piping and the pump over the heat wire.

I remember when folks used newspaper & tape for pipe insulation.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Our pool has a freeze stat that brings on both pumps when it goes below 36 degrees
Never a freeze problem but we are on WEMC’s Christmas card list

Lukikus2

If you guys are talking about above the ground pool pumps. I would recommend draining them totally. You won't need any chlorine for a while anyway. I can't afford for mine to bust.