Scope Issues

cam88

So last year I bought a new Nikon scope that was on sale for my 30/30 and I'm having an issue with getting it dialed in. I've put at least 10 rounds of the same ammo through the gun and its not shooting groups worth a darn. Any suggestions or tips? Thanks,

killerv

Make sure everything is nice and tight. Had a 30/06 last year open up to 4-5 in groups with a new scope, ended up being loose rings even after torquing to specs with my Fat wrench. Always take a torque set with you to the range.

wareagle700

Try a different scope that you know doesn't have issues. As stated above, go back and make sure everything is installed correctly and no screws are loose.

coolbreezeroho

Can you still shoot with the hard sights ? If so how does that ammo group with hard sights ? Might be your rifle doesn't like that ammo......

Jester896

Senior Clown
i have a silver sharpie that I dot my ring and scope with simultaneously when I assemble them. That way I can glance and see if scope moved moved any.

baddave

Thanks I'd plan on cleaning it today so I'll check the scope rings again.

don't jump to conclusions after you clean .. i have a ruger m77 .243 that takes about 5 shots after cleaning to shoot good ( i mean all over) then i can put 'em on top of ea. other.. my barrel has to have a certain amount of copper fouling .. then after about 50 shots i have to go thru the ordeal again :huh:

bman940

Check bases,rings working your way up after evaluating proper function of your rifle. Just in case your Nikon scope is covered by Nikon's industry leading warranty.

lonewolf247

Yea, unfortunately, unless your 100% sure that the mounts are secure, I would un-mount the scope and start over. Even a Swarovski, Zeiss, or Night Force, etc, will not group well, unless it's mounted solid.

I would remove the scope and mounts, clean everything, and go back with blue Loctite, at least on the base mounts, and torque down correctly. Then mount the scope in the rings, and torque down correctly too.

At that point, try again and see if it groups. If so, your done. If not, then I would trouble shoot the scope, rifle etc.

bman940

Lone., Is dead on with what to do to trouble shoot your problem. After doing what he described and you still have an issue trying another scope to see if that is the problem would be the next step. Truly, it is rarely the scope that is the issue though on occasion something does happen.

rosewood

I have started putting a dot of blue loctite on the top scope ring when mounting to reduce the chance of movement.

As others have said, check to make sure everything tight, double check the base. Try another scope if that doesn't work, that should tell you if it is the scope or gun/ammo issue.

Rosewood

Dhodges

Good quality scope mount rings are a must. I've found that most rings that are included with a scope are not always best choice.

cam88

Well so I looked the scope and rings over and for some reason the screws on the rings were a little lose from when I shot it last. So I must have not have tightened all the way down when I put the scope on. Went out and shot it last night all good at 100 yrds. Wow rookie mistake...

wareagle700

Make sure your screws are dry when you install. Most manufacturers send rings out with a good bit of oil to prevent rust. It's not supposed to be there when you mount them though, always degrease the rings, screws, and holes.

Rabun

Well so I looked the scope and rings over and for some reason the screws on the rings were a little lose from when I shot it last. So I must have not have tightened all the way down when I put the scope on. Went out and shot it last night all good at 100 yrds. Wow rookie mistake...

Easy fix though and a lot better finding the issue on the range than in the field. Glad you figured it out quickly.

Latest posts