GON Magazine | GON Marketplace

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Fishing > Freshwater Fishing

Old 04-18-2008, 04:48 PM

Default ***Craigslist Boat Scam***

Guys,

I have been checking the section in boats for sale on Craigslist regularly and I believe there is a scam on there. There is somone selling a Ranger Comanche 2006 bass boat with a 225 mercury for $5600.00!! I e-mailed the person when the boat was posted and it took her a while to e-mail me back. She said she got the boat in a divorce and is trying to sell it because she does not need it. She wants to hand the deal through this shipping company and she will not contact you personally. I have e-mailed a couple of more times. I have not heard back. I checked Craigslist again today and the boat was put back up but taken off after only a few minutes. ITs a great looking boat but I guess its too good to be true. If you see this, be carefull. If it turns out to be true, somone will get the deal of a lifetime. My buddy works for a bank and he hears of scams like this all the time. Watch yourself
Old 04-18-2008, 04:51 PM

Oh yeah, that is true. Be careful of the people that try to buy your boat or vehicle. Same thing, they say they will pay for shipping through a money order. It's crazy
Old 04-18-2008, 04:56 PM

I have seen this in the past on e bay as well. There was a 20' Stratos with a 200 on there for 6,000. I contacted them and received one reply, the listing said the boat was in Georgia and I said I wanted to see it. They said they would have to get it shipped here. The listing was gone the next day.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:03 PM

I had the same thing happen with a 4-wheeler. Posted and got an email from someone wanting to send me a check to ship the f4-wheeler overseas and I could keep the rest. I didn't fall for it, but, they will send you a check but, because of the international check cashing laws, you don't find out that the check has bounced until you've shipped the product.

So, keep an eye out for that one too.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:11 PM

I Hate Criminals...i Wish We Could Do As Charlie Daniels Says....take A Tall Oak Tree And A Short Piece Of Rope And Let'em Swing To The Sun Goes Down!!!
Old 04-18-2008, 07:16 PM

Default Thief

Its rediculous. Somone gets so excited because they are getting somthing they have dreamed of for years and the other person is laughing all the way to the bank or the bahamas, the keys, etc. This drives me insane. Glad I was smart enough to not go ahead and purchase it. I guess Auburn University did teach me somthing.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:36 PM

Look up Nigerian puppy scam on the web and you will see who is probably behind the ad.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:41 PM

Default simple rule

if it is too good to be true it always is. I have ran into this on autotrader.com several times. great deal, send me some money to let me know your serious blah blah.

Dont be a sucker!
Old 04-18-2008, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapperSlapper View Post
Its rediculous. Somone gets so excited because they are getting somthing they have dreamed of for years and the other person is laughing all the way to the bank or the bahamas, the keys, etc. This drives me insane. Glad I was smart enough to not go ahead and purchase it. I guess Auburn University did teach me somthing.
Apparently they did not teach you the Keys were in the states :

Last edited by FishingAddict; 04-18-2008 at 09:24 PM.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carters93 View Post
Look up Nigerian puppy scam on the web and you will see who is probably behind the ad.
i got plenty of offers for the puppy thing while selling lab pups. they want to send you a 4K cashiers check, take the money for the dog, send the rest in form of a personal check and the dog and ship them to an address in Canada.....i hear these checks are 99.9% real and only one number would be off. its extremly dangerous to deal with this crap....you could be out some serious cash, and guess what, if it turns up fake, you are the liable one.....
Old 04-18-2008, 09:51 PM
GONetwork Member

i had someone try to get me on buying a camper it was a great deal they wanted me to send the money to canada.they never would call me or give me a phonenumber.i didnt fall for it.i hate a thief.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:53 PM

i think i seen the same boat on ebay about 3 weeks ago. i e-mailed them about the price this woman e-mailed me back said it was legitimate so i got as far as the time to send them money. they had e-mailed me a copy of the shipping invoice and everything. so i forwarded it to ebay for them to check it out they replyed back and said it was a hoax. so please be careful.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:15 PM

According to an article I read 5-15000 scams are posted across the US on Craigslist daily. The bad thing is it is hard to tell what is for sale and what is a scam. I have found if they list a phone number or you have to email thru craigslist instead of a bogus email address you are much better off.
Rgds,
J
Old 04-18-2008, 11:18 PM
60Grit

Especially when their email reads something like this;

"I like very much to send you money order for you item.
Please give address I can send to, will send ship information later."
Old 04-19-2008, 12:39 AM

But, you have to admit. If you thought you were going to get a Ranger Comanche 2006 bass boat with a 225 mercury for $5600.00, you were kinda asking for it. LOL.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:06 AM

Smile Scams

Always remember guys NOTHING IS FREE!!!
Old 04-20-2008, 02:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapperSlapper View Post
Guys,

I have been checking the section in boats for sale on Craigslist regularly and I believe there is a scam on there. There is somone selling a Ranger Comanche 2006 bass boat with a 225 mercury for $5600.00!! I e-mailed the person when the boat was posted and it took her a while to e-mail me back. She said she got the boat in a divorce and is trying to sell it because she does not need it. She wants to hand the deal through this shipping company and she will not contact you personally. I have e-mailed a couple of more times. I have not heard back. I checked Craigslist again today and the boat was put back up but taken off after only a few minutes. ITs a great looking boat but I guess its too good to be true. If you see this, be carefull. If it turns out to be true, somone will get the deal of a lifetime. My buddy works for a bank and he hears of scams like this all the time. Watch yourself

i emailed her also JUST to see what kind of crap she had in mind. i got the same ol story about the divorce and how she didnt need it anymore. she said the boat was in new york and it would be shipped to me for a little over five grand.....

what a joke. i wish people would get a life.
Old 04-20-2008, 03:41 AM

Quote:
But, you have to admit. If you thought you were going to get a Ranger Comanche 2006 bass boat with a 225 mercury for $5600.00, you were kinda asking for it. LOL.
Reminds me of the guy who walks into a bar with a big pile of dog squeeze in his hands and says "look what i almost stepped in"
Old 04-20-2008, 05:02 PM

Stay away from Craigslist unless it is a local sale. I have delt with some of the same problems yall are talking about. I actually had a guy send my a check for some merchandise I had listed on Craislist and he wanted me to send him money back b/c he sent me too much. It is loaded with scams and I don't even mess with it anymore. E-bay is the way to go
Old 05-30-2009, 11:24 PM

I just seen this same scam run in the Orlando Sentinel classifieds!! 2005 Commanche with Merc 250 for $5500. The only difference is he says he will meet you with the boat anywhere within 500 miles!! Thanks for the heads up on this and the reason I found this is because of the ole if its too good to be true reasoning! So I did a search on google and this thread came up!!! WTG Woodyites!!
Old 05-31-2009, 12:04 AM

Default Boys I got sent two checks for the same deal

I had a Honda generator fer sale and the offered ma one heck of a deal with their guy commin to it up after I cashed the check then send them the EXTRA CASH they sent for s/h. $800 extra.
So I obliged them by sending the checks back to the companies they were from and informing them of the transaction. Can ya believe the moron who sent the check was stupid enough to keep contacting me asking if I had sent the payment for S/H to him. I told him the Companies IA and their friends would be more then happy to speak to him and arrange S/H for him

Be extra careful of these MORONS
Old 05-31-2009, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanierSpots View Post
If it seems to good to be true, it usually is.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettman96 View Post
I had the same thing happen with a 4-wheeler. Posted and got an email from someone wanting to send me a check to ship the f4-wheeler overseas and I could keep the rest. I didn't fall for it, but, they will send you a check but, because of the international check cashing laws, you don't find out that the check has bounced until you've shipped the product.

So, keep an eye out for that one too.
That's ironic, I had almost the same thing happen to me for an item I put up for sale on craigslist, but the guy said he'd send me a little more money than I was asking for to take the ad down and to hold it and he was from Alaska! Said he'd have a moving company come and pick it up, but was insistent that I take a check. I told him no, money order, cash, or paypal, and never heard back from him.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:30 AM

I've sold numerous items on Ebay over the years and in the past couple years I've included the statement 'If you have zero or negative feedback, don't bother bidding as your bid will be deleted.' Zero feedback is a good indicator of a possible scammer and I'm not willing to chance it.

Also I will only accept certified checks (and Paypal) but the item doesn't ship til the check clears.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:43 AM
GONetwork Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Munster View Post
I've sold numerous items on Ebay over the years and in the past couple years I've included the statement 'If you have zero or negative feedback, don't bother bidding as your bid will be deleted.' Zero feedback is a good indicator of a possible scammer and I'm not willing to chance it.

Also I will only accept certified checks (and Paypal) but the item doesn't ship til the check clears.
Dont take a check of any kind!!!!!
a used boat dealer here on Lanier took a 10,000 certified check for a boat, it cleared the bank and he Met the guy and delivired the boat to a slip in the marina , a week later the bank called and told him the check was not real and it was rejected by the issuing bank out of Canada, he went to the marina and the boat was gone along with the 10k!!