Tower stand project- measurements and cut list added

Confederate_Jay

We are building 5 new towers to put in our club. Same design as others I have posted pics of in the past. We got 800 more acres right before season started last year and these will be club stands in the new area. Lot of work in building these ( 2 solid days, just welding them, good part of another was spent cutting and bending ends) but its worth it when it comes to being comfortable, dry, and well concealed. They are portable enough that moving them is not a big deal if it becomes necessary.

6/30/14- Due to interest and PM's I am adding the cut list and measurements for the stands. Top enclosure and Base are built separate and put together on site. with the roof off the top will fit inside the base for transport. Look at pictures below for reference.

Tower Stand measurements-shooting enclosure

Top Enclosure-all ½ inch emt conduit

Start with longest cuts first to minimize scrap waste

(14) 48 inch- horizontal framing around enclosure:
(4) Top plate
(4) bottom base,
(6)upper and lower shooting window frames Front and 2 sides.
(2) 50" across roof rafter stringers. Make rafters 2 inches longer than ones listed above to let the reach across top ... weld to underside so roof will lay flush on top
Cutting two 48" pieces out of a 10 ft. stalk of conduit will leave 24 inches of scrap for corner braces or 12.inchbottom braces

(2) 72 inch Front uprights- ends are not flattened on any uprights except door frame
(4) 69 inch Rear uprights and door frame (3 inch drop for angle on roof)
(8) 12 inch angle braces for floor of stand - and small shooting window rails on either side of door- 2 can be cut from scrap left over from horizontal frame
(6) 24 inch angled braces from corner uprights to lower shooting window rail
[/COLOR]

Tower Stand measurements- Base/ ladder section

Tower base- all ¾ inch emt conduit except the 4 legs. They can be built out of 3/4 but we now use 1 inch which enables less bracing in each corner

(4) 10 foot 1 inch stalks for legs legs and two 10 foot 3/4 inch stalks for the ladder-
legs don't require ends flattened-ladder.flattened only on top end where it attaches to 4'x4' frame rail that will eventually be the floor of the stand.
ladder rungs bolted to horizontal mid and bottom braces of stand
(7) 20 inch Ladder rungs
(4) 6 oot Horizontal brace around bottom of tower stand base. This give more angle on the ladder and a larger footprint for stability.

(6) 4 foot Horizontal platform frame rail/braces- (4) around top of tower at platform, and (2)center cross braces to support plywood (it helps to make these cross braces 2 inches longer to give enough length to reach across outside rails). Weld these and corner braces to underside of so plywood floor will lay flush inside the frame rails.
(24) 12 inch corner braces (use up scrap first ...if using 1 inch legs less corner braces are required)

(3) Cut to fit (roughly 8.5 foot) leg cross bracing and 1 horizontal brace cut to fit across front 2 legs, middle way up behind the ladder.

Attachments

• 032.jpg
    032.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 5,694
  • 033.jpg
    033.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 5,691
  • 038.jpg
    038.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 5,633
  • 039.jpg
    039.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 5,623
  • 034.jpg
    034.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 5,607
  • 043.jpg
    043.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 5,595
  • 044.jpg
    044.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 6,596
  • 042.jpg
    042.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 5,604
  • 037.jpg
    037.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 5,622
  • 035.jpg
    035.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 5,657
  • 045.jpg
    045.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 14,403
Last edited:

david w.

I love to see these kind of threads.That means deer season is getting closer.Looks good jay.:cool:

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
As always, great work, Jay!

How do you secure the stands once they're in place? Do you anchor them down or what?

Also, not sure if this is what you're going to do or not, but I have an idea for the frame in the last pic. Especially if you don't need to be that high up.
attachment.php

You could get some camo netting or something similar and wrap around the lower part to use it simply as a ground-blind. That would be great for someone who is handicapped or physically unable to climb the ladder. Put a comfy chair in there and a sturdy brace to shoot off of. Cut some windows in the netting to see/shoot through. That would be nice.

My dad makes box-blinds (all out of wood) like this and they have a roof and camo tarp wrapped around them with cut out windows. These jokers are nice and work great.

Just a suggestion. Good luck this season and all be safe!:cool:

7Mag Hunter

Nice project !!!!!
I really like the jigs you guys have made to make sure they
are square and have consistent welds !!!!!!
I also like the 2nd parallel bar/support on the top cage....

Quality stands that will last a long time............

Jasper

Looks great Jay!

Confederate_Jay

What and where did you get the material for these?

EMT electrical conduit- you can buy it at any hardware or electrical supply store- incl Lowes and HD. We bought 100' bundles of 1/2" and 3/4" (10) 10' sticks in a bundle. takes about 18 sticks of 3/4" to build a base and about 12 sticks of 1/2" for the top enclosure. It takes about 2 lbs of welding wire per stand.

Confederate_Jay

Thanks for the comments guys, the top could easily be used as a good solid, portable ground blind. We anchor with a cable under center of stand going down to a mobile home tie down. These are some pics of ones we have built the past few years. gives an idea of finished product.

Attachments

• 086.jpg
    086.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 5,315
  • 090.jpg
    090.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 5,334
  • 147.jpg
    147.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 7,372
  • 248.jpg
    248.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 5,311
  • 199.jpg
    199.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 5,287

7Mag Hunter

How do you secure the stands once they're in place?
Do you anchor them down or what?

We welded a piece of rebar into each hollow EMT leg,
1 foot or so into the hollow leg, flush with the bottom
of the leg where it sits on the ground....
Set the stand where you want it and have 2-3 guys
stand on each leg to drive the rebar/leg into the ground......
We also use chain/pipes driven into the ground
at each leg...

We did this to all our towers after some local kids tipped
several of our towers over and broke the hollow EMT legs
off.....

Jim Boyd

Superior, superior work... I commend you highly!!!!

Awesome work I need to build me one like this heck with wood to heavy and pricy Would you mind giving a estimate of the of jus the frame work and all

Highintheshoulder

Man, them stands are nice. Great job.

walkinboss01

Nice stands. The one that y'all have brushed in looks awesome.

Confederate_Jay

Awesome work I need to build me one like this heck with wood to heavy and pricy Would you mind giving a estimate of the of jus the frame work and all

I priced the emt pipe several places. Price fluctuates kinda like gas and lumber but, highest place I checked wanted $44 per 100' of 3/4 and $22 per 100' of 1/2 inch. 2 bundles of 3/4 and one bundle plus a couple of loose sticks of the 1/2 and you have roughly $120 in pipe. It takes 2 rolls of welding wire $24, 1/2 sheet of plywood, tin or plastic for the roof and paint.

Last edited:
thats a whole lot cheaper better built easier to move etc than the 700 wood stand i built !!!

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Like em, but wouldn't want to be in one if any storms were nearby.