Centipedes?

gemcgrew

Had to sweep up about 50 of these this morning on the kitchen floor. They have invaded the basement and are moving upstairs. All over the outside of house. I am guessing that the rain is driving them indoors. They are all about 1 inch long.

Any recommendations on how to treat for them?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMAG0170.jpg
    IMAG0170.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 4,998

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
A good Pyrethroid based pesticide should work. Those are the ones that stink when you mess with them. That is actually a millipede and they are harmless.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Thousand legger. :D

I`ve killed turkeys that had so many of them things in their craw they couldn`t swaller another one.

Nugefan

diatomaceous earth works well for them ...

redlevel

They are hard to kill. Insecticides don't work real well because they are not an insect. Pyrethrins don't work. Two years ago they were bad. Swept up hundreds in the house every morning, dumped thousands out of the pool skimmers. Get up in the night to go to the bathroom, crunch, crunch. I didn't see a single one last year.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
They are hard to kill. Insecticides don't work real well because they are not an insect. Pyrethrins don't work. Two years ago they were bad. Swept up hundreds in the house every morning, dumped thousands out of the pool skimmers. Get up in the night to go to the bathroom, crunch, crunch. I didn't see a single one last year.

Pyerthroid based insecticides do work on them. Very well. But when they come in swarms it may appear it doesn't due to the volume, but they will die.

Buckbuster

Yrs. ago I had them everywhere in my basement, siding, yard and getting all in the house. I tried everything I could get. I would go out at night with a flashlight to see if I could find where they were coming from. This went on for 3 summers. I finally found where they were coming from, there was a big nest around the culvert pipe under my driveway. I would put seven dust all over where they were coming out and find thousands dead where they were coming out. After a few days the seven would wash away and here they came again. I finally got them by putting gas in the hole they were coming out of. Have not seen one since then.