“I revealed myself to those who did not ask for me;"

gordon 2

I wonder if the Sentinelese has to be reached in order for the full number of Gentiles has been brought in?
The Gentiles were civilized people by comparison. It seems to me that if missionary work most likely will result in the death of the missionary, and so cancelling out the calling to missions, and making murderers of otherwise innocents, it is no missionary work. Although well intentioned.

Before the recent Iraq wars I met a couple who had as their goal to be missionaries to Iraq. They seemed surprised when I asked them about the Christians native to Iraq, as if they were ignorant of this. Or did not consider the Copts to be "real" Christians.

I recall their response that it was mostly a wide eyed stares. It seemed to me that they had only a limited knowledge of the Muslim-Christian social dynamics, especially that it was simply against the law and carried severe consequences to try to convert Muslims to Christianity in Iraq. It was not only dangerous for foreigners to do this, but it was also very dangerous for individual Iraqi Christians to do it.

Last edited:

gordon 2

Why don't they drop covert-camo-microphones on the island on migratory birds for example and let linguists learn the lingo from them.

gordon 2

I think there was a "style" of missionary work that was promoted at the time. Some people were sincere about it, yet they were caught up into it.

Perhaps, too simply, it could argued that Chau's ministry was an extreme form of " March Brake" missionary work.

I have to consider since Paul is often a model for missions if people might not take note that Paul was a missionary within an recognized organization of like minded people with which people to back him up and accompany him. Paul did not act as a lone ranger and not without some shared human authority.

I don't think he would of approved that the responsibility for the Great Commission did apply to each individual Christian. I personally think that he would have thought and said that within the body of Christ some were missionaries,(Evangelists) and others were this and that... etc... but not all that were this were that.

Just look at what happened to 19th century America and the19th century American frontier and how those called to be missionaries created many "different doctrine from each other" communities" under the same mission banners. Also look at how the differences created out of initial Christian assemblies ended up to be totally new religions!

The first missionaries to China are said to be the cause of a civil war where 10,000,000 souls perished, if I recall correctly. All because one of the new converts used the New Kingdom of the faith politically.

The principalities and powers that we fight against on missions are also at work, besides the mission field, back at home where missionaries come from. And this is why you can't be a lone ranger. Hindsight is 20/20, but had Chau listened to his earthly father in this case, we don't know, but latter Chau might have been successful in his mission and the story very different.

Paul was a kind of man to submit to authority... and so church authority. When he moved forwards he had spiritual lines well entrenched to give his mission spiritual security and so a fighting chance at success. I would think, Authority, Authority, Authority...

Last edited:

gordon 2

Art, what is your understanding of the context of:

“I revealed myself to those who did not ask for me;"​

???

Might we learn something new to us out of the statement?