11/13 PM

Toliver

I do.. and a dog.
Maybe you can answer this... or those who live and/or hunt in other stayed. Is it true that in some places if you use a drone to locate a deer you have already shot, that then makes it illegal to recover that deer?

I saw a video the other day that was a guy using a drone to find a deer that had been shot. He found it. But then told the hunter it was illegal to recover it due to using an electronic device to find it. Seems like a counterproductive law if it's true.

Kev

Maybe you can answer this... or those who live and/or hunt in other stayed. Is it true that in some places if you use a drone to locate a deer you have already shot, that then makes it illegal to recover that deer?

I saw a video the other day that was a guy using a drone to find a deer that had been shot. He found it. But then told the hunter it was illegal to recover it due to using an electronic device to find it. Seems like a counterproductive law if it's true.
I don’t even use a drone. You can see blood glowing on the ground with a good thermal scanner or scope. You wouldn’t believe what you can see. I can see live creatures from hundreds of yards though the woods. I put my dog out, and follow behind him with the thermal.

Toliver

I don’t even use a drone. You can see blood glowing on the ground with a good thermal scanner or scope. You wouldn’t believe what you can see. I can see live creatures from hundreds of yards though the woods. I put my dog out, and follow behind him with the thermal.
Gotcha. Not sure why I assumed you were using a drone. Those little handheld units do well in finding bad guys and lost people, too. A living thing still creating heat is easy, but with a blood trail, you'd have to get on it pretty fast before it reaches ambient temperature, right?

Toliver

I sure hope this lack of updates is because @Big7 Is on a good track. He better not be home in bed with us all hanging out waiting for good news!

Kev

Gotcha. Not sure why I assumed you were using a drone. Those little handheld units do well in finding bad guys and lost people, too. A living thing still creating heat is easy, but with a blood trail, you'd have to get on it pretty fast before it reaches ambient temperature, right?
I’m not an expert, but I’ve been able to see blood that’s a couple hours old.
I’ve found deer just by looking through the thermal. Also, I’ve had instances where my dog was tracking a deer and I was able to see the deer was alive and call the dog off and let the original shooter finish the mortally wounded deer.

Big7

The Oracle
Guy with the 2 Blood Hounds didn't have his peroxide with him but he said he was 50/50 on it not being blood.

Cost me $150.00 to find out but it was the right thing to do. We couldn't find it on one hand but the dogs didn't strike at all. Seems like they would trail scent even if it wasn't blood. Oh well.

I'll be slinging some 174gr 7MM running about 2950fps so there won't be no tracking from here on out. :LOL:

Toliver

Not what I was hoping to hear but at least you know for sure now that he lives to be missed by someone else.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team

Can't use them to rally, corner or drive here.

WOODIE13

Black lights will make blood glow also

Toliver

Can't use them to rally, corner or drive here.
That makes sense. But recovery of a dead or injured one? I guess I'd just have to take my chances with the lawman.

WOODIE13

That makes sense. But recovery of a dead or injured one? I guess I'd just have to take my chances with the lawman.
Only guilty if you get caught...

Couple guys have set up businesses with their thermal drones here

Could be a game.. getting warmer, getting warmer

WOODIE13

basshappy

BANNED
It ain't the caliber, its the shooter. A bad shot is a bad shot, no matter what.

And two misplaced shots are two bad shots.

Wasn't there, easy to armchair QB, so likely wrong, but thinking adrenalin was running wild and a rushed first shot missed so a quick follow up shot on a moving deer was taken, and also missed. If the handler for the tracking dog was correct in no blood found. I don't understand why the dog never hit on the scent trail for the deer though.