11/13 PM

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Front shoulder shot, break them down with a quickness

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I wait all day for the last hour. Power hour is what I call it. But, to each their own.
I think most of us understand that deer tend to be Crepuscular, active at dawn and dusk, and we take advantage of that fact. Many of us choose to not hunt the dusk for a variety of reasons. Probably the most common is the heightened chance of not recovering an animal due to the increased difficulty of tracking as darkness deepens. That is certainly my main reason now. At 76 my visual acuity has decreased tremendously, my balance is not as good as it used to be, and taking a fall is much more dangerous for me now. Making a night walk in the woods is not such a great idea for me.

The first and last light are also not quite as important to my hunt since most of my stands are in the woods or on a unplanted power line right of way. I do still love to hear the woods wake up in the morning though I have taken deer at dusk but stopped many years ago after having assisted on several unsuccessful tracks of deer shot at dusk by others. Recovery techniques have seen a lot of improvement through the years and, as always, shot placement is key. But for me, that last golden hour is spent packing up and heading for dinner. LOL