11/13 PM

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
@Big7
1) Did both shots hit the deer?

2) Where did each shot hit the deer?

3) What did you hear after the second shot - how long did you hear the deer move?

4) What caliber projectile hit the deer?

5) Have you walked in the direction you last heard the deer?

6) The drop of dark blood you spotted where is it in relation to where deer was standing when shot once or twice - how far away?

7) If you want to recover meat to eat go now and work the trail tonight, dog or solo. Do not wait until morning.

8) If you think you can't find it now so you called a dog, what would be different about tomorrow other than darkness vs light?

9) How might you feel if you don't work it tonight solo or with dog, wait for tomorrow, and find it say within 100 yards of shot,meat spoiled, deer maybe feasted upon by wild things?

10) How far from the deer was your shot?

It might be my newbie status but I refuse to hunt with less than 1 hour of good light remaining because I don't want to track in the dark. If for any reason my shot is off or on but deer is hopped up and runs more than 40 yards I want light available to assist in my ocular scan.

Consider resolving it tonight, not waiting for light. $200 is worth peace of mind, healthy meat, etc. But also, on the FB Group of Dog Blood Tracking in GA I have seen trackers offer free tracking up to $100. Maybe call a different tracker?
You don't sound like no newby to me. You sound pretty wise, actually.

And I also head for the truck at whatever minute sunset lands on, for this very reason.

Trying to track a deer in the dark sucks, and often ends badly.

I hope this one ends in success!

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
That guy with the dog said he had s thermal drone.

I might call him back.
They've used a couple up here with good success

Big7

The Oracle
I'm about 1/3 of the way home.

If I go back and look, will that mess up the dog if I can't find him.

And fixing to look on the GON Forum list for somebody a little closer or I might go get the X's son's Lab. He found one when he was a puppy.

Big7

The Oracle
So the guy with the dog is about to turn loose on another trail and said he can't come tonight.

Off to the GON List for another one.

Big7

The Oracle
Guy on the GON list is real close and if he can get out he's coming. Supposed to call me back in a min.

Big7

The Oracle
Dog(s) on the way.

I'm going to the money machine and then meet up.

Didn't feel right knowing that thing was dead and coyote bait or worse yet, alive and not mobil and coyote bait.

We'll either find him or we won't but we going to put some time and money into trying.

basshappy

BANNED
Dog(s) on the way.

I'm going to the money machine and then meet up.

Didn't feel right knowing that thing was dead and coyote bait or worse yet, alive and not mobil and coyote bait.

We'll either find him or we won't but we going to put some time and money into trying.

Good stuff. I have said a prayer for you 3 tracking tonight. "Enjoy" the dog doing his best and update us with what comes of y'all's adventure tonight.

You only need to look yourself in the mirror, but I think you are doing the right thing by taking care of business tonight.

Big7

The Oracle
You're killing me, Bigs.
He is pretty tall, I hope he has at least 8.

That whole ordeal lasted 3 seconds. Literally.
And the rifle was beside me, not on the rest.

It happened very, very fast.

basshappy

BANNED
You don't sound like no newby to me. You sound pretty wise, actually.

And I also head for the truck at whatever minute sunset lands on, for this very reason.

Trying to track a deer in the dark sucks, and often ends badly.

I hope this one ends in success!

Man I am colorblind - RED!!!! So red blood ... on red leaves ... and brown leaves ... um, add a smothering of darkness and ... man, I will avoid this at all costs unless it is to help someone else if I can. I may miss a deer but I am A OK with that.

Now my boy and I do enjoy finding blood and tracking. Fortunately every deer has dropped within 0 to 40 yards from where it stood when shot. And given every shot has been 40 yards and under, with most 15-30 yards, we haven't covered any real distance in total from us to point of impact to place where dropped.

deerslayer357

Good luck on the recovery.

Man I am colorblind - RED!!!! So red blood ... on red leaves ... and brown leaves ... um, add a smothering of darkness and ... man, I will avoid this at all costs unless it is to help someone else if I can. I may miss a deer but I am A OK with that.

Now my boy and I do enjoy finding blood and tracking. Fortunately every deer has dropped within 0 to 40 yards from where it stood when shot. And given every shot has been 40 yards and under, with most 15-30 yards, we haven't covered any real distance in total from us to point of impact to place where dropped.
Are you saying your entire life you never lost a deer and none ever went more than 40 yards ?? You’re kidding right …

bobby07

Guess I’ll find out his this turns out from the stand in the morning. It’s awesome how everyone tries to help through the thread. We’ve all been there and know the feeling. Good luck tonight. Hood you find him.