2022 Oglethorpe County

Triple C

May have to start an Oconee County thread but prefer posting em in here. Brooks n I hunted behind the house this afternoon. His 2nd buck from behind house this year.

Guess he will be guiding, cooking n cleaning at camp for rest of season until we start taking does in Dec.
A91E3442-7310-4748-BF94-385E56D9539C.jpeg

WeedyJ

Yes. Happy Thanks giving. I need some of you guys to talk to some of my neighbors about letting young bucks walk. Saw a "nice" 2.5 year old shot that would have been a GREAT 4-5 year old. Thinking about inviting those around me to an informal cookout meeting with the warden and a wildlife biologist

Souhternhunter17

Happy thanksgiving fellas! Well its been a great past 2 weeks for me. We went to annual deer camp out in Arkansas and I was able to kill a nice 8 on public land. This is the third year I have been able to shoot one on that quota permit hunt. The local guys at camp say im the luckiest joker they know. With the pressure during that hunt it can be tough to kill a good buck. I really do enjoy hunting out there though, its very peaceful. No dogs, cars, leaf blowers heard! My son made his first trip out which made it extra special. Rounded it off with opening weekend of duck season and had some great hunts as well!456B2FAA-1340-46D8-AE8E-AB2D9C3B6CD3.jpeg
43676AE3-5CF2-4C37-9BF0-13FC2840D305.jpeg
96075A69-BECF-43E5-A392-81C281E7FA8C.jpeg
EF81BB24-CF3F-4DA8-A831-122872C0522A.jpeg
Fast forward to yesterday and hunted OC morning and afternoon. Dad joined me for the afternoon hunt. Was able to shoot a doe and then a good buck right before dark. Dad was also able to connect on a doe. Made for a long night of cleaning, but I am thankful for the memories we make together! Happy hunting for the rest of the way fellas!
B5D7B583-F210-4332-9182-55D585070FBA.jpeg
E92F5A96-A0FF-47F9-850A-311BADB83AAD.jpeg
CAD680A3-730F-4ED2-9014-FB599BC2BF1D.jpeg

Triple C

@Souhternhunter17 - Pretty special week right there brother!

So far, been a great fall in OC. More bucks that we've ever seen. Only one on the ground but sure is fun watching those critters.

Feel like ol' Pops knocked it out of the park at the Triple C Cafe here on Flat Rock Rd in Watkinsville. Coated this beauty in a compound butter concoction with maple syrup, minced garlic, rosemary, smoked paprika, kosher salt n black pepper.

Wife and I nibbled on it when I sliced it and wanted to smack each other it was so good. Crew coming over bout 5:00 for a feast. I'll try n remember to take a pic of my plate before I eat.

Blessings to all you folks and your families. Thank the Good Lord for his goodness, kindness, mercy and his grace!
8A43DB1D-3B01-4031-8B75-1E8ECC27807B.jpeg

Arrow3

The hunting continues to be good for me in OC.... Yesterday morning I saw 4 bucks and 10-12 does . One of the bucks was the biggest buck I've ever let walk. My interest now is killing pope and youngs and big mature bucks . I understand there will be years I won't kill a buck but I've got a house full of mounts and I want to goto the next level. I may be only letting the next guy kill him but if I kill him he doesn't have a chance.

A buddy of mine hunted the same stand this morning and he came out on him too and he didn't handle it as good as I did . He was texting me saying it was torture letting him walk and that was the biggest deer he'd ever seen in Ga .

This is one of the deer we hope makes it through. I have not personally seen this deer but 3 of my friends have let him walk. The deer I let walk is bigger.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221125-214209_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20221125-214209_Messages.jpg
    566.7 KB · Views: 52

Buford_Dawg

I was able to hunt this AM before I needed to get back home. Saw 4 bucks and 5 does, the bucks were all looking, pretty much just walking thru the woods, not stopping. One was a real nice 3.5 year old that had broken off his right side about 2 inches above the tips of his ear. He better be glade it was broken, otherwise he was gonna get some lead. Hopefully he makes it till next year, will be real solid if he does. This year has been the slowest year for our camp that I can remember, only 4 bucks taken to date, we have seen tons of deer, just not many good bucks and very few on cameras. The population seems to be in real good shape, at least around us.

MYRX

I had the whole 800 acers to myself Thanksgiving week. I hunted mornings Monday - Wednesday, seeing bucks everyday but Monday. Most were young and just as Buford Dawg said walking thru the woods.

Friday morning, I had an opportunity to take a very tall 8 pointer. I thought he was probably 3.5 and he was one of the bucks on camera that we had agreed to pass this year. Still, it was wonderful seeing him. I hunted only 2.5 hours Saturday AM and watched 2 different young bucks, (spike and basket eight) then saw two does. This has been a different year for me, although retired I have only hunted two evenings this year since the season began.

I agree with most, we seem to have a very good deer population in OC. Our club has been very selective this season taking 1x 9 pointer, 2 x 8 pointers, and only one doe. We did take out 8 hogs!

Triple C

A Trip Back thru Time...
Boys - I woke up for no reason bout 3:30 this morn. Course I went to bed at 8:00 last nite so almost 8 hrs sleep.

Not sure why but I decided to go back to the beginning of my participation in this thread in 2013 and follow the OC thread from that point to present.

Made for a nice walk down memory lane. Noticed a number of guys we don't hear from any more. Thankful to the faithful's that continue to contribute to this thread!

Triple C

Just curious, what ever happened to idea of us OC hunters getting together for a lunch meet and greet, or did I miss out?
You didn't miss it. Just never happened. Always easier said than done. Not promising anything but as it stands now, I plan to be down at the farm for the week between Christmas & New Year's. Depending on what folks have going on, perhaps a couple of smoked butts for bbq sammiches early afternoon on one of the days if enough want to drop by.

WeedyJ

Life's been getting in the way of hunting for me. I've gone down to do some machine maintenance because I can't enjoy hunting knowing I have equipment with leaky fittings or mud packed tracks sitting in the barn. My buddy has been hunting almost constantly out of 1 or 2 stands. Seeing plenty of does, occasional hog and bobcat. Couple of younger bucks. I tend to prefer hunting after the rut when a lot of people back off. Making plans of how to attack the property next year. Gonna be a big overhaul. Also got my Private Applicator's license recently. Hopefully I'll be safer when it comes time to spray!

Arrow3

Another nice one I let go this week. I'm looking real forward to next season .

I'm picking the bow back up for the majority of the rest of the season. I want to put a couple of does in the freezer and I may possibly know of a mature buck or two on some bow only spots I have. I get lazy this time of year and hardly get up for morning hunts.

Attachments

• received_476213914642624.jpeg
    received_476213914642624.jpeg
    174.5 KB · Views: 45

revans4661

Wow, can't believe I haven't checked in for a while. Looks like some nice deer have been taken , and a good time has been had by many. I have had as much fun in the woods this year than I can remember, and I haven't pulled the trigger. I've seen more deer from the stand than ever at this property. got my first cell cam. It's been fun to see what's out there in real time, except for around the 2nd quarter of the UGA/GA Tech game when a beautiful 10 smiled for the camera.. loved seeing BD's son take a nice buck with the girlfriend in tow. Memories of a lifetime for them. We still have a couple shooters in the area, so I'll be at it again in the morning
I love this time of year.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221210-002631_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221210-002631_Gallery.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 38

Todd E

What a boring deer season for me. Nothing.
Son called wanting to go. Sure. We hit woods Saturday Eve.

I immediately had a fawn show up and just stand around. 30 mins later I see a doe coming. Fawn sees it and runs to it. Started nursing and mom let it. WTHeck. Well, that eliminated those two candidates. I'm getting soft in my older years on moms with fawns. They milled around. A cow horn spike showed up harassing them. He got put on the truck bed.

Son had two fawns show up and then mom. All while a member was in camp making rakkit after cutting his hunt short. Son was able to take the big doe. God blessed us with a great evening in the woods and we both got one for the freezer. Finally.

On a side note......
Reckon what somebody is trying to insinuate by leaving two empty shell casings on the ground at gate post?