2022 Oglethorpe County

Buford_Dawg

Yall guys are gonna need to try Sanders bbq
I rode by there the other day, went searching for it, as many times as I have driven 77 from Lexington to Elberton, I never noticed it. Plan on trying it out next time I am down. I learned the best way for me to get to it is to go across Milestone Church road over to 77 and then go south a couple miles. Also, @todd, drove by BCR property, boy what a wasteland right now, you can see for miles, LOL....

Big_Red

Here is an early Merry Christmas to all of you. Glad I joined the Oglethorpe forum. I hope to meet some of you this coming year.

Regarding G Grand, I eat there sometimes for lunch of Fridays when the wife is working from home. If I recall the owner's ties are with the Gretch Guitar company, of which I am a proud owner of one.

Well unfortunately, my deer season came to an unexpected end 14 days ago, when I tore my left hamstring. Luckily, no surgery is needed. Just hope I heal soon enough to get back on Lake Russell in mid February. I am usually fishing on Lake Russell 2 days a week March thru June. Just look for a green and silver Triton TR21.

Take care everyone, my god bless you.

Gretch Guitars, yes. The owner was wearing a Gretch t-shirt and my guitar playing uncle asked if he was a musician. Come to find out he is Gretch family and my uncle was super stoked to be talking to the guy. I guess they’ve been around since late 1800‘s.

Good dude and super nice that he helped us out.

Buford_Dawg

Ran down and hunted Friday afternoon and all day Saturday. Deer moved well Saturday AM, saw 7 or 8, does and a spike. Had some pigs showing up frequently over the last week at a spot so sat there on Friday evening and got this big ole girl. At least I got to pull the trigger, been a long season watching for most part. Shooter bucks around me were rare. Todd or any other hog experts, why is it when I shoot a hog, I never get a blood trail. I've shot 30 or so over last few years and if they run off, no blood, this hog ran about 75 yards and left not a drop of blood even though you can see the bullet entrance in the picture.4CAFB222-D2E0-4FD6-9408-1E992E755272.jpeg

MYRX

Congratulations, taking a hog out. Wild hog meat makes a great meal. My last wild hog Boston butt was perfect.

In reference to your blood trail question, yes I have had a few similar experiences. Now I try to shoot all of mine in the head, right behind the ear, and drop them immediately.

georgia_home

@Buford_Dawg , it always seemed to me that hog skin/fat seals up like that flex paint stuff… unless you hit um with something real big… full diameter 12g slug.. and even then, sometimes they seal up too

nice hog.

Todd E

@Buford_Dawg
Beautiful hog and great shot.
When you grab a mature hog to start dragging it, you realize just what it is......a big blob of tough skinned, thick fatty winter time greasy meat, and just plain ol dead weight. That's the reason for zero blood trails with the common deer calibers.
Entrance only will just about always produce no blood trail. Pass through will produce blood after a good 30+ yards. Non fatal entrance only or pass through can produce blood off the get go. It's just when you put one in the boiler room, be prepared for no trail.

I'm sure you've heard the term "bled like a stuck pig". A knife or a good broadhead is what makes a pig bleed.

Todd E

Unless my cam goes off before 11pm, 2022 is in the books for me. I've experienced highs and lows in the outdoors this year. It has been fun. It has been frustrating. Some recap..........

Biggest buck of my life, out in TX.
Two bird gobbler limit in GA.
One GA dink whitetail. (Off year)
One bobcat.
Seven coyotes.
Eighty two hogs. (Off year by a longshot) 69057.jpegPXL_20221229_034230118.jpg20220212_171002.jpgPXL_20221117_002704804.jpgPXL_20221019_224437756.PORTRAIT.jpg20220410_110232.jpg

Triple C

@Todd E ...If there was ever a man that could survive a true apocalypse it would be you. Although you might tire of eating pork.

No deer for AC this year. A bunch watched. A few decent bucks I couldn't get drawn on. Lots of baby sitting with my 7 yr old grandson in the Redneck this year. Only 2 deer killed on the farm this year. Lots of bucks seen but only 1 killed.

Got a kid gathering doe shoot coming up for last weekend of season. I love every minute I spend in OC boys. Every minute.

Buford_Dawg

Heck of a 2022 year Todd, lots of fun I am sure, hoping the same for all us OC'ers in 2023. Happy New Year, I will start a 2023 thread here momentarily. Keep posting boys, love to hear what is going on in OC.