20moa scope rail question

killerv

Never had a need for one, but I am 99.999% sure the used rifle I just picked up has one. Rear is noticable higher/thicker than front. Leupold part no 171296 but cant find squat on what base it exactly is on the web. Remington SA. I hate to put on a new base when it has a good one on it. Anyway, It's on a 708 and I like a 200yard zero, will a 20moa base give me fits to achieve a 200 yard zero? I'll shoot for about 1.7 high @100. Thanks.

Jester896

Senior Clown
it shouldn't...I have a 100 yards zero on my .308 with one but it is a 30mm tube.

even if you had a 1" tube with 50 moa of total adjustment you should still be 5 moa from the end. If you were going to have an issue it would be at a 100 yard zero.

careful sometimes I do it backwards...I'm sure they will chime in if I did.

bighonkinjeep

Just my 02 on 20 minute rails. They are for looong distance shooting where many scopes dont have adequate adjustments to get way out there. No benefit to most hunting rigs and can even be detrimental to those who hunt at sane distances. 20" high at 100 and 40" high at 200, 60" @ 300 etc. is completely un necessary on the average hunting rifle. Scopes perform best and give the best resolution when near optical center, not when cranked to near the edge of their adjustment range. Personally I leave the canted rails on the shelf for the internet commandos and true long range target afficianados.
Manufacturers make what consumers will buy and in my opinion a lot of demand is driven by those who dont really understand the realitys but read something online or played a video game.
Just my .02