350 Legend Range Trip 3 - Huh?

Rich M

More for the 350 Legend guys. 2 weeks til hunting trip. Gotta do another range trip... :unsure:

Loaded 20 of each 158 fury and 165 ftx. Near 28 gr of Lil Gun. Forgot chrono. Winds blustery and too much for a kite and group shooting slow rifle loads.

Sighting Diamondback 3-9x40 BDC on rifle.

1224201630a.jpg
1224201630.jpg

Top is 175 yds 165 ftx. 2 sets of 3. Bottom is 225 yds. Set of 3, then final 2 rounds. Same center cross hair for each. The only change is my hold on the gun. Bipod w fleece jacket for rear support. Not sure why some lower than others but maybe parallax on scope due to head position ?

The 158 fury loads were shooting tighter at 175 yds but no pics. Had 2 touching at 175 before adjusting scope. Ran out of 158s trying to use the BDC on the scope. It's like there is minor diff between 175 and 225 but not enough to worry about. Last 5 shots below w diff levels on BDC scope. Top 2 are aligned vertical, wind blew the other shots to right.
1224201631a.jpg

I used the 145 solids for initial sighting and had some left to shoot at 225. This is what they did. Bottom holes in cardboard under target is not from me.
1224201631.jpg

Not quite ready to hunt with it yet. The extra 200-300 fps seems to be changing the actual ballistics a bit. Does NOT match the online ballistic calculator data.

The ballistic coefficient between the 165 ftx and the 158 fury is becoming evident in the ftx grouping higher w what was about 80 fps less velocity last range trip.

Also need to figure out scope. Nice clarity in daylight but have a 3-9x40 Leupy that will go on if the BDC isn't needed out to 250. May put that on 357 mag rifle for fun.

Not exactly happy w groups one high, one low. Need to settle in a bit more, use sled or something but if it is parallax, be nice to know.

Rich M

I'm amazingly inconsistent in my shooting. Hold foregrip, how much downward pressure is variable. Was fighting w rolled up fleece jacket due to ground and portable table angle, had a bit more focus on that than how I was holding the front.

Never considered needing a level and shovel before but did this trip. All to sight in a hunting rifle. LOL

The rifle and loads shoot good enough for me. Gonna try to get it set up for hunting w the hash marks if possible.

Start backwards? Sight at 225 w that hash, then try 200, 175, 150, 125, 100 and see where it breaks down?

nmurph

Assuming the scope and mounts are good, the action is bedded, the barrel isn't getting hot, and you are consistent with each shot and

Lots of horizontal dispersion, and you said it was windy, would indicate drift. Vertical dispersion is velocity related. That could be inconsistent case volume, neck tension, seating depth, jump...

You've got a lot of unknowns. Eliminate one at the time starting with the weather, then gun...

chuckdog

I'm not sure yesterday was your best day for an attempt at sighting in anything.

There were wind gust that seemed like they were coming from every direction, and strong enough that they would likely effect my ability to hold steady even from a good rest.

Rich M

Just went shopping and ended up w a 100 box of 165 gr .355 FTX bullets for reloading. Happy to find em so can better figure this load out.

Got a fishing lure too, but wrong forum for that.

Rich M

Loaded up the rest of my first box of 165 Ftx, 53 I think.

Then 27 145 gr solids - they track the real bullets pretty well. Gonna sign up for notification on these. Cheap, and track the real bullets pretty well.

Rich M

That's great, but how do they track the real bullets?

Had read something about the 145s being chosen by winchester cause they shoot about the same as the 150s winchester sells. Giving the option of setting zero with 145s and hunting with the 150.

The 165s I'm shooting and the 145s have a similar POI. Thus, the 145 tracks the 165. That's all.

Rich M

Got it figured. Need to be very consistent w cheek and eye position.

Rezeroed at 100 to 3 inch high.

This is the dope for the 165 ftx load at about 2300 fps.
50 yd is 1.5 to 2 inches high
100 3 inches high
125 2 inches high
175 dead nuts
200 is 1 to1.5 inches low
225 is first hash mark
250 hits 3 inches above 2nd hash mark

Shot 50, then 100, then 175, then 225 several times sequentially to verify poi as opposed to shoot for groups. Couldn't find new bullet holes on target for 50 and 100, 3 (50 yds) and 4 (100 yds) shot groups of about 0.5 inch. Nuts.

Also shot 2 inch 3 shot group at 250 off improvised rest on a steep berm - verified 125 and 200 yds on the targets from there as well.

Poi of reloads and 170 gr Hornady factory ammo and the 145 winchester factory ammo was near the same. Nice to be able to switch it up if necessary and know where it will hit.

Be interesting to see what someone who can shoot well could do with this RARR rig.

Time to go kill a deer or two.

Last edited: