.450 Bushmaster Bolt Action

BarnesAddict

FYI......

A custom .450 Bushmaster, Remington 700 bolt action and custom Lothar Walther barrel, that is not only top quality, but has outstanding accuracy. Shooting the factory Hornady 250gr FTX bullets, the round retains enough energy for whitetail to 300yds.
Although I haven't fired many rounds, actually just 1 1/2 boxes, I'm entirely impressed at its accuracy.

Shooting the Hornady factory .450 Bushmaster rounds, I had a nice 1" 300yd group going, until I fired the 4th and 5th rounds. The top 3 holes are the first 3 rounds. I pulled the fourth and the 5th, my POA was the bottom of the Caldwell dot.

Although I haven't reloaded in decades, I obtained the dies to reload the .450 Bushmaster. I reloaded my first box of brass using 37.9grs LilGun and the Hornady 250gr FTX bullet.

I shot the following 150yd target using my first reloads in decades.

SC Hunter

Now that just tickles me! I would be very interested in one of those! Who did the work? That's just different but I bet it hits like a hammer!

Klondike

Very nice rig and unique. Great GA hunting gun

BarnesAddict

They're custom built by hand and the quality is top of the line. Many different options available. I'm impressed with this rifle, which has very little recoil, yet still hammers em.......

EDIT: A guy I worked with just bought one for himself. His wife likes it so much, he's buying her one also.

http://ultimatefirearms.com/

Check this beauty out with the twist fluted barrel:

BarnesAddict

Used the rifle for the opener and about an hour after daylight, I got a chance to use it. Approximately 70yd shot and a 30yd run. Nice heavy buck, not much antler. The rifle and ammunition performed perfect.

Alan in GA

Hmmmm....

I fit a Green Mountain .451" blank to my Ruger 77 Mark II short action that has a 308 bolt face (.472" standard rim). I chambered it to 45ACP just to have some 'pistol cartridge in a bolt action rifle' fun. It is a single shot as the 45ACP will not function out of a magazine meant for 243/308 cases.
Wheels are now turning again.....
I had considered reaming it on out to 45 Win Mag but NOW I see your rifle and ...well... Guess I'll first find a couple rounds of 450BM and see if they will feed through this magazine!
I fit this 25" bull barrel first to see if 45ACP ammo was 'quieter' out of a 24" finished length barrel. Nope, still pretty loud so back in the lathe and now it's only 17", but probably still long enough to get good performance out is a 450BM??
Hmmm...

GunnSmokeer

These big bore (.45) rifles would be good candidates for suppressed hunting,
if the muzzles were threaded
and the barrel twist fast enough to stabilize long heavy (400-600 grain) subsonic bullets (initial MV about 1030 f.p.s.)

A subsonic 220 grain .30" bullet is questionable for deer, but a bullet with 3X the mass at the same speed is a real thumper.

Silencers are legal for hunting in GA (with land owners permission) but the lack of big hard hitting bullets that are effective at 1000 FPS is keeping silencers' popularity down among hunters, I think.