Ac condenser water leak?

hipster dufus

My outdoor unit . 10 ft away from condensate drain, is leaking. This is not the condensate drain from the air handler. Its coming off the actual outdoor unit. Any ideas? Unit is cooling well.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
My outdoor unit . 10 ft away from condensate drain, is leaking. This is not the condensate drain from the air handler. Its coming off the actual outdoor unit. Any ideas? Unit is cooling well.

Probably seeing excessive sweating of the refrigeration lines going to the indoor unit. Nothing to worry about.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
There is no water in an ac condenser. Probably just sweating more due to heat and high dewpoint.

The condenser circulates and condenses coolant gas, which gets cold as it is compressed. That's then pumped back into your home and I to a coil system that transfers that cold to the air in your home.

cowhornedspike

There is no water in an ac condenser. Probably just sweating more due to heat and high dewpoint.

The condenser circulates and condenses coolant gas, which gets cold as it is compressed. That's then pumped back into your home and I to a coil system that transfers that cold to the air in your home.
The gas gets HOT as it is compressed and then some of that heat is removed into the air by the condenser fan blowing over the hot coils. It then gets cold as it evaporates at the expansion valve as it leaves the outside unit or in the evaporator inside the house. It then gathers heat from the house as the fan blows over the cold coils and the cycle repeats itself.
There is nothing other than some condensation on the cold line going to the house that can create water at the outside unit.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
The more you know....

sinclair1

How much are you talking? It’s 98 here and my Ac pad under the unit is soaked and the drain line on the backside of the house is flowing heavy

hipster dufus

Thank u for the replies, I believe it's just sweating from the ac process. Drain is free flowing . Was worried for a moment