Am I The Only One?

krizia829

Am I the only one who doesn't buy the latest of anything out there? I just replaced my string and cable yesterday on my Bear Siren bow that I bought in 2011. Of course I'd love to have a Mathews Jewel but it's just too much money. I'm still rocking an iPhone 7 plus and that's only because my 5 crapped out on me :LOL:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Other than a new custom knife that catches my eye, I haven`t bought anything hunting related in years. Why should I? I have a fine rifle, plenty of bullets for it, my boots are good, I hunt in my work clothes, so I`m always ready to hit the woods. :)

If I ever get able to bowhunt again, the Bear Super Grizzly I got in 1968 will still do what it was designed for.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
Other than a new custom knife that catches my eye, I haven`t bought anything hunting related in years. Why should I? I have a fine rifle, plenty of bullets for it, my boots are good, I hunt in my work clothes, so I`m always ready to hit the woods. :)

This.

Except I haven't bought a knife in 30+ years.

I am bowless at the moment though. I'm just too cheap to buy a bow. Maybe next year.

baddave

sounds like you're up to date and hi tech to me

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
still using 06 switchback. Killed lots of animals with it.

Hopefully we will add another elk to the list in a week or so.

I am going to need new arrows next year. Cant find the ones ive been using anymore.

krizia829

I rarely buy new items..I find something I like and keep it for years. Bows, clothes, vehicles, etc. I can afford it, but just see no need, and I prefer to buy other things, like more hunting land..lol
hahaha same here! I agree!

krizia829

sounds like you're up to date and hi tech to me
Well I'm on the younger side so for me what I have is what I consider "out of date" for me.. lol

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
I like new tech and new toys. Not that it will help me kill any more or any better, but I like new stuff.

I love some of my old stuff, but in general I dont get attached to anything no matter how old or how sentimental and will replace it on a whim.

ddd-shooter

Hunting and fishing are the only real hobbies I have. I don't go crazy with upgrades, but as my stuff wears out I like to replace it with what I consider to be "the best."
Once I get the top of the line, I don't need to upgrade just for upgrade sake. That's why I like the quality. I can keep it for several years of heavy use.

HabershamHunter85

I'm still using my Diamond bow, first bow I ever bought, to this day. Also I have accumulated a bunch of rifles through the years but they are always older and used. I still use my 7mm-08 as my go to gun that I bought 17 years ago. I like the idea of hunting with simple gear, no need to make it complicated.

Hillbilly stalker

Am I the only one who doesn't buy the latest of anything out there? I just replaced my string and cable yesterday on my Bear Siren bow that I bought in 2011. Of course I'd love to have a Mathews Jewel but it's just too much money. I'm still rocking an iPhone 7 plus and that's only because my 5 crapped out on me :LOL:
No, your not the only one. I have a iPhone 5s, a bow that is around a 2000 model. They both work fine. The newer models have no magic to me, if it works for you it works. I know a guy that buys a new bow every year, sometimes twice a year. He has spent a fortune on bows and the guys he works with buy his “ old” ones. He has the money and that’s what he likes to do. It easy to get caught up in the sales claims and gadgets each year with compounds. They call traditional bows traditional for a reason. There’s no wrong answer to it, just preferences.

Deerhunter12454

I haven’t had to buy anything for the most part. Basic expenses like food plot seed, and lime/fertilizer. Just bought some broadheads that should last me 10-15 years as long as I don’t lose them. Just a quick FYI, don’t use a shot up target with a 550 grain arrow with a 200 grain field point. You’ll end up losing the arrow, lumenock, and the 200 grain field point. It adds up

RWilk

Still sporting the 2008 Mathews DXT. Hands down, been the best shooting bow. No desire to switch.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I find something I like and shoot it till they come out with something I like better. I shot a Switchback XT for 5 or 6 years until I shot a Monster and switched. Shot the Monster for a few years and switched to the MR7. Shot it for a few years and got the Halon 32. Still shooting it and have no plans to change anytime soon. It has everything I like. About the only improvement I could ask for would be to make it lighter. If they make a bow that checks all the boxes, I'll probably switch again.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
When I bowhunt, I do it with a selfbow I made myself out of a piece of wood I cut myself, with arrows I made myself from cane or hardwood shoots, and hand-knapped flint points. It's worked and kept people fed for tens of thousands of years. I have been known to twist my own bowstrings out of rawhide, deer sinew, or yucca fibers.